5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I averaged 13mpg driving two hours at 75mph, a full day off offroading, slow speeds, heavy throttle, lots of idle time waiting on others, then drive back two hours at 75moh.

And that's with lift, 35" tires, and aftermarket front bumper

spyder

Reaction score
I just made a ~1200 mile trip. Got around 18mpg for most of it, and picked up an old Barracuda on the way home. The mileage for that was weird. I got 15mpg for the first couple of hours hauling it and then figured I wanted to start messing with the Tow/Haul option just to see what it would do. I was having no trouble with the drive but I don't haul much and wanted to experiment.

Once I turned on Tow/Haul, I refueled and reset the odometer and fuel meter and got a whopping 11 for the rest of the drive, most of it being a long slow gentle downhill. When the transmission would stay in lower gears on downhill stretches to reduce the need for brakes, it got atrocious mileage. I almost want to throw the car back on the trailer and do the same drive without tow/haul out of curiosity.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just made a ~1200 mile trip. Got around 18mpg for most of it, and picked up an old Barracuda on the way home. The mileage for that was weird. I got 15mpg for the first couple of hours hauling it and then figured I wanted to start messing with the Tow/Haul option just to see what it would do. I was having no trouble with the drive but I don't haul much and wanted to experiment.

Once I turned on Tow/Haul, I refueled and reset the odometer and fuel meter and got a whopping 11 for the rest of the drive, most of it being a long slow gentle downhill. When the transmission would stay in lower gears on downhill stretches to reduce the need for brakes, it got atrocious mileage. I almost want to throw the car back on the trailer and do the same drive without tow/haul out of curiosity.
It's not going to make a difference. You can't go by the screen for your mpg when you are changing loads, it's for a constant read over tanks of gas to adjust to something kind of accurate.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ottawa Ontario Canada? or is there such a town spelled Ottowa in USA
Yeah it's Ottawa Ontario Canada. I don't know if there's an Ottawa in USA.

I drove to Sudbury Ontario Canada (12 hour drive from NJ) about two years ago in July. With summer gas, I was able to average 21 MPG.

spyder

Reaction score
It's not going to make a difference. You can't go by the screen for your mpg when you are changing loads, it's for a constant read over tanks of gas to adjust to something kind of accurate.
I don't use the screen for anything other than a VERY ballpark idea, I hand calculate. A 300 mile trip starting and ending with a full tank is pretty easy to figure out actual real life mileage.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah it's Ottawa Ontario Canada. I don't know if there's an Ottawa in USA.

I drove to Sudbury Ontario Canada (12 hour drive from NJ) about two years ago in July. With summer gas, I was able to average 21 MPG.
I live in Timmins which is almost 4 hours north of Sudbury and owned a house there while both my kids were at Sudbury University. I made many trips there and my truck’s mpg was 30 to 31 mpg Canadian gallon in the summer (25 to 26 US gallon) 2020 Rebel Diesel.

Reaction score
Ford has that going on now with their Ranger and F-150.
2022 Ram Bighorn 1500 Black Widow edition. 35x12.50x22 wheels. Has all the bells and whistles. I bought last Aug 2022 with 1800 miles. It's currently at 8000 miles and the best mpg I've ever seen is 14.9 and that's after 60 miles one way on highway. Just normal driving day to day only get 12 mpg all I have added is rough country trifold hard tannaeu cover.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2022 Ram Bighorn 1500 Black Widow edition. 35x12.50x22 wheels. Has all the bells and whistles. I bought last Aug 2022 with 1800 miles. It's currently at 8000 miles and the best mpg I've ever seen is 14.9 and that's after 60 miles one way on highway. Just normal driving day to day only get 12 mpg all I have added is rough country trifold hard tannaeu cover.
I’m guessing u have the 5.7 hemi non ET?? If so that sounds about right. Also guessing you have a 3”+ lift being its a black widow

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Started using Fuelly to track MPG in February and am currently averaging 16.3 after 10 tanks. I expect the average to improve somewhat during the summer months with the summer fuel blend. My driving is about 75% highway/25% city.

The trucks computer does not accurately calculate MPG and it hasn't in the last 3 Rams I have owned. In each one the actual calculated MPG was worse that what showed on the truck's computer. My current truck's computer reads between 0.5 and 1.5 mpg better than actual calculated MPG.

MPG.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Started using Fuelly to track MPG in February and am currently averaging 16.3 after 10 tanks. I expect the average to improve somewhat during the summer months with the summer fuel blend. My driving is about 75% highway/25% city.

The trucks computer does not accurately calculate MPG and it hasn't in the last 3 Rams I have owned. In each one the actual calculated MPG was worse that what showed on the truck's computer. My current truck's computer reads between 0.5 and 1.5 mpg better than actual calculated MPG.

View attachment 182138
I experience the same discrepancy between indicated economy on the dash and hand calculated.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been tracking for awhile and just as I expected.

IMG_2049.jpeg
Surprisingly after changing from 32” tires to 34.3” my gas mileage stayed virtually the same.😲

Users who are viewing this thread