5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I gotcha. Not uncommon to see 12mpg if all you drive is heavy city. Easy highway driving at 55mph you should see at least 20mpg. Good luck with the bearing

I can't imagine 12 MPH. I have a leveled Laramie with 3.92 gears and 33" Ridge Grapplers and I'm getting 16 MPH on my current tank, with no highway miles. I've been driving her pretty hard this month, so when I get my TRX I'm not so shocked by the bad MPG's. 🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine 12 MPH. I have a leveled Laramie with 3.92 gears and 33" Ridge Grapplers and I'm getting 16 MPH on my current tank, with no highway miles. I've been driving her pretty hard this month, so when I get my TRX I'm not so shocked by the bad MPG's. 🤣
Your definition of city driving may be different than his. For me, "city" driving involves 45mph roads, and not a whole lot of stop lights. For others, it's 25-35mph with multiple stops lights.

6of36

Reaction score
Your definition of city driving may be different than his. For me, "city" driving involves 45mph roads, and not a whole lot of stop lights. For others, it's 25-35mph with multiple stops lights.
Exactly. I saw a video last week about how the EPA does testing. They base the city estimate on New York City driving, from something like 1986. That is how they base it today, so it can be compared to all historical data. The don't even drive them, they use a simulator, and they only do that for 20% of all models sold each year. The other 80% of models, they just trust the manufacturer to be accurate.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Small tourist town with 25-35 MPH roads and a butt load of traffic with a lot of mistimed lights.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
City driving 15 mph..... every car in the left lane needs the next right exit and every car getting in from the right has to be in the left lane.

Oh yea, randomly road work is always going on somewhere so "lane ends".
2011-08-23T204230Z_01_WAS421_RTRIDSP_3_USA-QUAKE-1024x786.jpg

Last edited:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's my average for the last 4,946 miles. It's combine city/highway. I just got back from a 800 mile road trip.

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_002200603.jpg
    PXL_20230804_002200603.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 54

spyder

Reaction score
I've been getting hand calculated high 16's combind out of my 2021 Rebel the last 1500 or so miles. I drive like a normal person most of the time though, so not as much fun as the truck is capable of.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since putting on the 33" Mickey's around 5k miles ago, she's settled down to 15.5 mpg - 16 mpg (mostly hwy), hand calculated. That's about a 1mpg drop over last years summer mileage. Not great.. but this truck has NEVER gotten the expected mileage.

Fuelly link in the sig below.

23RAM

Reaction score
I've been getting hand calculated high 16's combind out of my 2021 Rebel the last 1500 or so miles. I drive like a normal person most of the time though, so not as much fun as the truck is capable of.
I gotta question that highlighted part...what is normal for one person, is driving like a maniac for another. My friend is a maniac, revving to 5k off the line, cutting off cars, racing through yellow/red lights, cornering like an F1 car, jackrabbit starts, hammers the brakes, and doesn't shut off the engine when parked (ever), etc. But he thinks he drives normal...and he complains about his mpg and how the truck "sucks for fuel consumption".

My mileage from day 1 to 3k+ miles has been about the same:
~ 19 combined
~17 city
~21 hwy

Some days I drove with a lead foot to have some fun, other days I babied her gently while towing. I get close to the same overall mileage within a couple mpg even if I drive aggressively. But I don't idle, I don't jackrabbit, and I keep RPM's under 2k to minimize VVT changes.

6of36

Reaction score
I gotta question that highlighted part...what is normal for one person, is driving like a maniac for another. My friend is a maniac, revving to 5k off the line, cutting off cars, racing through yellow/red lights, cornering like an F1 car, jackrabbit starts, hammers the brakes, and doesn't shut off the engine when parked (ever), etc. But he thinks he drives normal...and he complains about his mpg and how the truck "sucks for fuel consumption".

My mileage from day 1 to 3k+ miles has been about the same:
~ 19 combined
~17 city
~21 hwy

Some days I drove with a lead foot to have some fun, other days I babied her gently while towing. I get close to the same overall mileage within a couple mpg even if I drive aggressively. But I don't idle, I don't jackrabbit, and I keep RPM's under 2k to minimize VVT changes.
You don't have info about your truck, but Rebels will never get high mileage. All big gears, heavy tires, higher, less aerodynamic stance, and a different transfer case.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You don't have info about your truck, but Rebels will never get high mileage. All big gears, heavy tires, higher, less aerodynamic stance, and a different transfer case.
He gets better city millage then me on the highway on my Limited with all season tires.
He's gota have a regular 1500 with 3.21s, can just tell by his millage. 21 highway is not possible with 3.92s in any config.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He gets better city millage then me on the highway on my Limited with all season tires.
He's gota have a regular 1500 with 3.21s, can just tell by his millage. 21 highway is not possible with 3.92s in any config.
Keep it 60 mph and it's very possible

6of36

Reaction score
I'm heavy footed, so I don't get that city either, but match his highway. 3.21 of course.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yea, it has more of a pickup truck stance and gearing than a government mandated prius with a bed feel. I'm pretty sure it's understood that a truck gets truck milage.

23RAM

Reaction score
He has a fairly loaded 1500 Sport 5.7L non-etorque 3.92 rear with stock 20x9 wheels and Bridgestone all season tires. I've ran her with and without the bed cover and get the same mileage. This is running with the wife, rear seats and bed loaded with camping gear under the bed cover. I get about the same mileage loaded up or empty. I drive with the windows up to maximize aerodynamics on the highway and I keep her under 68mph and 2krpm to eliminate VVT changes. My mileage has gotten about 0.5 mpg better now the engine and drivetrain have loosened up at 4500 miles. I've done hand calculated to confirm the computer and it's bang on. This is not my average rating of course, it's typical live mileage. I don't worry about average because sitting in the driveway on -20 cold mornings really eats in to the average. One cold morning right after filling the tank the previous night, my short drive to work was averaged at 8 mpg which reflects that warm up and snow clearing time. I don't care about that...I like to know what I'm getting while driving. I know I'm getting 0 mpg sitting in the driveway.
:)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is not my average rating of course, it's typical live mileage. I don't worry about average because sitting in the driveway on -20 cold mornings really eats in to the average. One cold morning right after filling the tank the previous night, my short drive to work was averaged at 8 mpg which reflects that warm up and snow clearing time.
OK. So the mpg numbers you are giving are bogus conpajrd to everyone else. The live number at whatever speed is not going to be accurate.
You can reset your trip meter before you get on the highway to test if the computer is close but life readings are bogus and not real numbers. You aren't getting 21mpg on the highway with 3.92s unless your highway is downhill at 45mph.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
He has a fairly loaded 1500 Sport 5.7L non-etorque 3.92 rear with stock 20x9 wheels and Bridgestone all season tires. I've ran her with and without the bed cover and get the same mileage. This is running with the wife, rear seats and bed loaded with camping gear under the bed cover. I get about the same mileage loaded up or empty. I drive with the windows up to maximize aerodynamics on the highway and I keep her under 68mph and 2krpm to eliminate VVT changes. My mileage has gotten about 0.5 mpg better now the engine and drivetrain have loosened up at 4500 miles. I've done hand calculated to confirm the computer and it's bang on. This is not my average rating of course, it's typical live mileage. I don't worry about average because sitting in the driveway on -20 cold mornings really eats in to the average. One cold morning right after filling the tank the previous night, my short drive to work was averaged at 8 mpg which reflects that warm up and snow clearing time. I don't care about that...I like to know what I'm getting while driving. I know I'm getting 0 mpg sitting in the driveway.
:)

I get 20-21 mpg on the highway driving 65-70 mph and I have 33's with 3.92 gears. At 75 it drops down to 17-18 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread