5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
E torque. All stock. It appears to be strong numbers after reading this thread. Some as bad as 9 and a lot of 12. My gas guzzling 2017 Tundra averaged 14.5 with a small lift.
If I was getting that bad of MPG and Ram was of no help I’d probably unload the Ram. Unacceptable for the stated numbers Ram puts out.

I average about 13 mpg mixed, but I can if I try really hard get 15 city and 19 highway. But I live in an area with lots of elevation changes, including the freeway which saps mpg. And I refuse to drive on the highway in the two slowest lanes so I don't get rock chips, so it's at least 75 mph or higher.

Luckily for me, my Rebel isn't my daily driver or it would be painful, especially with $5 gas.

6of36

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my brother. His truck was part of the recall for the transmission reprogram. He picked up almost 3 MPG.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
I'd say something is seriously wrong with fuel consumption unless you're driving above 65mph all the time where the mileage really drops off, combined with jackrabbit starts from stops/lights. I get pretty much what I'm supposed to get - 21mpg on the highway at 55-65mph and 18mpg in the city. I think I drive fairly normal - I don't baby it unless towing. I do use cruise all the time on the highway and I don't go over 65mph where the fuel consumption climbs.
I’m headed north up hwy 5 next weekend. I’ll set 65 on the cruise con and reset the comp once I get down to the flat stuff. I’ll post pics here.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in west LA. Same city conditions over here. I get my service done at the DT LA ram dealer. Best service I’ve found locally.
well with all the non sense and reduction in lanes and traffic flow in downtown our mpg might even get worse soon
definitely agree with you DT la ram best service dept, its their sales team you have to be careful with. That's where I got my 2021 BTS and they were trying to add $14k- I got up and started walking away until a sales manager caught me at the exit.
I know any dealer will always want to get you with addons but the number was crazy that afterwards I felt either the sales person was new or in training and didn't know what the hell he was doing.
The guy in financing at that time was cool and wouldn't push anything else on you.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
To be fully transparent I do have 34” tires. The front is leveled with airlinks. And I have a bed rack and tent that sit below the cab. Been trying to make the brick as aerodynamic as possible.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
California gas isn’t exactly “quality”. don they have some special blend that is supposed to save the owls at the expense of being providing less power? I thought California has was lower octane too.
yea its suppose to be a magical blend, what it does I am not sure other than taking more of my mod money from me

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 157859 View attachment 157860
Just so you get the picture. But if the guy running 37’s can get 16mpg hwy, I should get better.
Nice set up you got.
Yea thinking your highway does seem low but maybe the racks and tent.
Here is a pic coming back from vegas. Several slow downs and accidents so it was 1 mpg lower on my return in comparison to the 16.2 i got going in.
Didn't do the hand calculations. Too lazy and didn't get gas receipts.
One of my trip meters reading is 14.1 average for the pass 4k miles
I think you said for the life of the truck you are seeing 10mpg avg. So you must do even more city drinving than me or maybe something actually is off. But since you have the level and stuff i wonder if a dealer would even want to look into it for you

Attachments

• 20230430_160423.jpg
    20230430_160423.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was today. What the truck showed, and calculated. 3/1 lift, 35" tires, and off-road front bumper. About 50/50 mix driving with Edge Pulsar on Economy PXL_20230501_220550718.jpg Screenshot_20230501-170545.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And I have a 26 gallon tnk if anyone wants to guess what the fuel gauge looked like when I stopped

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my brother. His truck was part of the recall for the transmission reprogram. He picked up almost 3 MPG.
Wow. What recall was this?

6of36

Reaction score
It was for the 2500/3500 trucks. For high internal pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it wasn't. 21 Etorque transmission programming recall. Looking at this, they haven't been mailed out yet. He took it in for something else, and they told him about it, and performed the the reprogram.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14-42-40 2021 RAM 1500 Recalls Cars.com.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14-42-40 2021 RAM 1500 Recalls Cars.com.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was today. What the truck showed, and calculated. 3/1 lift, 35" tires, and off-road front bumper. About 50/50 mix driving with Edge Pulsar on Economy View attachment 157873 View attachment 157874
I think about 1 mpg less by hand calculations seems to be consistent to what have seen others mentioned.
a coworker claims to be getting the same highway mpg as me on his 21 ford ranger two wheel drive with a small lift, that put a smile on my face

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
No it wasn't. 21 Etorque transmission programming recall. Looking at this, they haven't been mailed out yet. He took it in for something else, and they told him about it, and performed the the reprogram.

That’s the pcm. It came out a little while ago.

Idk why it says automatic transmission as it has to due with fueling. And talks about the pcm not the tcm in the wording.

The actual transmission recall was for the 2500/3500s.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
That’s the pcm. It came out a little while ago.

Idk why it says automatic transmission as it has to due with fueling. And talks about the pcm not the tcm in the wording.

The actual transmission recall was for the 2500/3500s.
Hope you’re right as I have a ‘21 ET and I just had a service. Dealer didn’t mention any recalls. I just came here to complain about mileage. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread