5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Seems to be such a huge range in mpg’s here. Some rebel owners with 35’s 5.7’s and 3.92’s claiming high teens doesn't make sense when other stock 5.7 etorque owners with the same gears and smaller tires are reporting 12. I can say my truck which is a 21’ etorque limited with 3.92’s + all the fancy active aero dams / radiator gills makes 12 mpg city and 14 hwy. I live in Ca and drive hwy 5 up the central valley which is sea level and flat as a pancake. I drive 55-65. I do have 34” ie: 290 70 18 tires with an all terrain tread. However I had the truck on stock wheels and tires for the first 12k miles and the mileage was the exact same. I run quality 89 oct. Basically doing my part here to get the best results. I think there must be a quality control issue here. I have never ever seen 20+ mpg. Not even If I zero out the trip calc on a long stretch of slightly downhill road. My average total on trip 2, which has not been reset since the purchase date, with 20k miles, is 10mpg. The spec sheet says city 17 hwy 23. I always baby the throttle. So I can honestly say that my numbers here come from my absolute best efforts at trying to get the best mileage I can.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I averaged 17.5 (it would be higher if I recalibrated my speedo) over the past tank running 87 and 33” tires. Mixed city and highway driving.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems to be such a huge range in mpg’s here. Some rebel owners with 35’s 5.7’s and 3.92’s claiming high teens doesn't make sense when other stock 5.7 etorque owners with the same gears and smaller tires are reporting 12. I can say my truck which is a 21’ etorque limited with 3.92’s + all the fancy active aero dams / radiator gills makes 12 mpg city and 14 hwy. I live in Ca and drive hwy 5 up the central valley which is sea level and flat as a pancake. I drive 55-65. I do have 34” ie: 290 70 18 tires with an all terrain tread. However I had the truck on stock wheels and tires for the first 12k miles and the mileage was the exact same. I run quality 89 oct. Basically doing my part here to get the best results. I think there must be a quality control issue here. I have never ever seen 20+ mpg. Not even If I zero out the trip calc on a long stretch of slightly downhill road. My average total on trip 2, which has not been reset since the purchase date, with 20k miles, is 10mpg. The spec sheet says city 17 hwy 23. I always baby the throttle. So I can honestly say that my numbers here come from my absolute best efforts at trying to get the best mileage I can.
Not all city driving is equal.
My numbers city wise are similar to you.
I am in downtown Los Angeles. So its as bad as it gets with stops.
12 city
Just drove to vegas and computer read 16.2 at the end of the trip. My speeds range 75-83, with very minor traffic jams along the way
With the stock set up best i saw highway was 18 to 20 sweet spot was around 65 i think

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
12 city
Just drove to vegas and computer read 16.2 at the end of the trip. My speeds range 75-83, with very minor traffic jams along the way
With the stock set up best i saw highway was 18 to 20 sweet spot was around 65 i think
Sounds about right

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Dang that’s a bummer, that’s bad 😩 there’s no reason it shouldn’t be better with flat roads, sea level, quality gas, & 55-65mph, those are all ideal conditions!

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Dang that’s a bummer, that’s bad 😩 there’s no reason it shouldn’t be better with flat roads, sea level, quality gas, & 55-65mph, those are all ideal conditions!
I mean idk what I expected. Don’t think the etorque does jack! Only wanted it for the off the line power addition. I’m assuming after 20k miles, if something were wrong, it would of manifested itself by now. When at idle my truck does generate a considerable amount of moisture from the exhaust. Only odd thing to report although I can’t correlate it to mpg in any way.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
12 city
I live in west LA. Same city conditions over here. I get my service done at the DT LA ram dealer. Best service I’ve found locally.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I mean idk what I expected. Don’t think the etorque does jack! Only wanted it for the off the line power addition. I’m assuming after 20k miles, if something were wrong, it would have manifested itself by now. When at idle my truck does generate a considerable amount of moisture from the exhaust. Only odd thing to report although I can’t correlate it to mpg in any way.
Yeah I’d be disappointed with that for sure. With my 5.5” lift and 37x13.50s I can get up to 16mpg driving from San Diego to Lake Tahoe. I’d say my average is about 12mpg. And city driving lately is like 8-9mpg lol.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean idk what I expected. Don’t think the etorque does jack! Only wanted it for the off the line power addition. I’m assuming after 20k miles, if something were wrong, it would have manifested itself by now. When at idle my truck does generate a considerable amount of moisture from the exhaust. Only odd thing to report although I can’t correlate it to mpg in any way.
The main thing ET does is start/stop the engine. It also turned the wheels 1/2 turn when you take off from a dead stop. Not really for off the line power, just another fuel saving gimmick which doesn’t help much.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The main thing ET does is start/stop the engine. It also turned the wheels 1/2 turn when you take off from a dead stop. Not really for off the line power, just another fuel saving gimmick which doesn’t help much.
It's actually to reduce emissions. The crybaby douches in Commiefornia have forced the issue. The VERY little mileage increase, is a bonus for advertising.

John Galt

Reaction score
California gas isn’t exactly “quality”. don they have some special blend that is supposed to save the owls at the expense of being providing less power? I thought California has was lower octane too.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I mean idk what I expected. Don’t think the etorque does jack! Only wanted it for the off the line power addition. I’m assuming after 20k miles, if something were wrong, it would of manifested itself by now. When at idle my truck does generate a considerable amount of moisture from the exhaust. Only odd thing to report although I can’t correlate it to mpg in any way.

It only saves fuel in stop and go traffic where it cuts the engine off.

Other than that it doesn’t change anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23RAM

Reaction score
I'd say something is seriously wrong with fuel consumption unless you're driving above 65mph all the time where the mileage really drops off, combined with jackrabbit starts from stops/lights. I get pretty much what I'm supposed to get - 21mpg on the highway at 55-65mph and 18mpg in the city. I think I drive fairly normal - I don't baby it unless towing. I do use cruise all the time on the highway and I don't go over 65mph where the fuel consumption climbs.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'd say something is seriously wrong with fuel consumption unless you're driving above 65mph all the time where the mileage really drops off, combined with jackrabbit starts from stops/lights. I get pretty much what I'm supposed to get - 21mpg on the highway at 55-65mph and 18mpg in the city. I think I drive fairly normal - I don't baby it unless towing. I do use cruise all the time on the highway and I don't go over 65mph where the fuel consumption climbs.

No, I think it's correct. Your mileage isn't that far off many drivers who have street tires on their trucks. The ones with low mileage are generally Rebels or similar packaged ORP trims that have certain options that leads to garbage mpg.

This is well documented, not just from owners here but reviews done by various sites & publications. Just go check the results on Fuelly as well, the mpg on the Hemi is highly variable depending on model trim and driving conditions.

John Galt

Reaction score
On my last SUV when I switched from OEM garbage tires to Michelin M&S not only did I get better mileage there was a lot less road noise.

Now my Durango just passed 30k on OEMs and I’m starting to notice a drop in mileage and increase in road noise. Makes sense because road noise = wasted energy.

BTB123

Reaction score
Just averaged 19.6 on my 2023 Rebel over 203 miles driving through the Rockies in Colorado. Elevations up to 11,000 feet. At least 50 percent of the trip was doing 80-85 MPH. Since switching to premium I’ve seen a good bump in MPG. Hand calculated.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just averaged 19.6 on my 2023 Rebel over 203 miles driving through the Rockies in Colorado. Elevations up to 11,000 feet. At least 50 percent of the trip was doing 80-85 MPH. Since switching to premium I’ve seen a good bump in MPG. Hand calculated.

What do you average in city and general mixed driving? Your example above is not the norm for the majority of Rebel owners posting on this forum, especially with 50% at 80 mph & above, that's honestly an incredible result for just a 203 mile sample.

BTB123

Reaction score
What do you average in city and general mixed driving? Your example above is not the norm for the majority of Rebel owners posting on this forum, especially with 50% at 80 mph & above, that's honestly an incredible result for just a 203 mile sample.
16.7 average the last 1500 miles mixed.

BTB123

Reaction score
Gotcha, those are strong numbers for a Rebel, impressive.
E torque. All stock. It appears to be strong numbers after reading this thread. Some as bad as 9 and a lot of 12. My gas guzzling 2017 Tundra averaged 14.5 with a small lift.
If I was getting that bad of MPG and Ram was of no help I’d probably unload the Ram. Unacceptable for the stated numbers Ram puts out.

Users who are viewing this thread