5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Getting back to the O.P. question - has anyone figured this out? By "this" I mean that some 5.7s are getting 18-19mpg, and some are getting 11-12. It's NOT the gearing. I have 3.21 gears and I'm getting 12.5 all day, every day. Nothing added to the truck, no mods. Not in 4wd. This is a 2021 Laramie 1500 4wd without eTorq. It is a night edition, which comes standard with 22" wheels and 285/45/22 radials. People pulling trailers getting better mpg than me. I'm using 87 octane fuel. Have not had it to the dealer for this yet - only had it a month so far and still learning. But the O.P. said his dealer has looked at his twice and found nothing. It's really as though they're putting two different engines in the RAMS and calling them the same thing.
BTW, I have a 6.4 hemi in a challenger, and in TRACK mode it's getting about the same as the 5.7 in the RAM - 12MPG. Track mode keeps the tranny in a low gear so that the RPMs are always above 2k. Something is NOT RIGHT with some of the 5.7s in the RAMS!

I don't think anything is wrong at all with any of these engines.

The reason for the high variance in mpg is everything. The gearing, tire type and size, speed, and even the elevation you drive, and probably a few more variables I forgot to mention.

The biggest complainers about MPG are the Rebel owners, why? Because they have the most negative variables to mpg. 33" Duratrac tires with almost M/T treads, 3.92 axle, 1" higher ride height, no active aero all lead to bad mpg. If you look at most threads and Fuelly reports, 11 - 13 mpg is pretty common, especially if they do a lot of city driving. This is common among Rebel owners.

Then you got the guys with smaller smoother street tires, 3.21 axles, normal ride height with active radiator shutters, etc. They are pulling high teens and even low 20s on long drives.

There is a lot of variance in these trucks configurations, every single detail has an effect on mpg. But then you got the drivers. Are they cruising 65 mph in the slow lane all day, or do you have them stop and go 90% of the time? Probably the biggest difference from this variance. In short, I don't think there is anything wrong, you are just seeing the effects of different options, driving conditions and driving styles on these trucks.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every truck, engine, transmission, and a thousand other components are different, along with every driver and environment. The test truck and the environment that they tested in to arrive at the numbers was different also. No two automobiles, trucks or cars, will EVER (miracles do happen though) get the same MPG even when run side by side on a track. Get the best your truck can get if it is a big deal. Otherwise just live with it or get a Prius or a Tesla or whatever. 😁😘

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, remote starting your truck and letting it sit there for 10 minutes will kill it. Same with going to drive thru fast food spots a lot.

Speed kills it too. The fast you go the harder your engine works to keep up against the higher wind resistance. These trucks are heavy and aren’t very aerodynamic.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Getting back to the O.P. question - has anyone figured this out? By "this" I mean that some 5.7s are getting 18-19mpg, and some are getting 11-12. It's NOT the gearing. I have 3.21 gears and I'm getting 12.5 all day, every day. Nothing added to the truck, no mods. Not in 4wd. This is a 2021 Laramie 1500 4wd without eTorq. It is a night edition, which comes standard with 22" wheels and 285/45/22 radials. People pulling trailers getting better mpg than me. I'm using 87 octane fuel. Have not had it to the dealer for this yet - only had it a month so far and still learning. But the O.P. said his dealer has looked at his twice and found nothing. It's really as though they're putting two different engines in the RAMS and calling them the same thing.
BTW, I have a 6.4 hemi in a challenger, and in TRACK mode it's getting about the same as the 5.7 in the RAM - 12MPG. Track mode keeps the tranny in a low gear so that the RPMs are always above 2k. Something is NOT RIGHT with some of the 5.7s in the RAMS!

Manual tells you to run 89 for best results.

Driving anything over 65-70 will decrease your numbers. How you drive with your right foot also plays a big factor.

I can make mine average 12mpg or 21mpg depending how I’m driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mscholle

Reaction score
I don't think anything is wrong at all with any of these engines.

The reason for the high variance in mpg is everything. The gearing, tire type and size, speed, and even the elevation you drive, and probably a few more variables I forgot to mention.

The biggest complainers about MPG are the Rebel owners, why? Because they have the most negative variables to mpg. 33" Duratrac tires with almost M/T treads, 3.92 axle, 1" higher ride height, no active aero all lead to bad mpg. If you look at most threads and Fuelly reports, 11 - 13 mpg is pretty common, especially if they do a lot of city driving. This is common among Rebel owners.

Then you got the guys with smaller smoother street tires, 3.21 axles, normal ride height with active radiator shutters, etc. They are pulling high teens and even low 20s on long drives.

There is a lot of variance in these trucks configurations, every single detail has an effect on mpg. But then you got the drivers. Are they cruising 65 mph in the slow lane all day, or do you have them stop and go 90% of the time? Probably the biggest difference from this variance. In short, I don't think there is anything wrong, you are just seeing the effects of different options, driving conditions and driving styles on these trucks.
I AM the guy with the smaller smoother street tires, 3.21 axle, normal ride height with active air deflector. I am pulling 12.5mpg ALL MONTH no matter what I do. Looking for a factory difference in something like the ECUs that they are using....

6of36

Reaction score
I AM the guy with the smaller smoother street tires, 3.21 axle, normal ride height with active air deflector. I am pulling 12.5mpg ALL MONTH no matter what I do. Looking for a factory difference in something like the ECUs that they are using....
City or highway? In winter, in the city, I can get that low, in warm weather 14.5, but cruising at 55 or 60, easy 20 or more. Again, faster than 65, it drops with speed due to wind resistance.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

If you are pulling that cruising on the highway, then you got an issue for sure. If you are doing that in stop and go traffic in mostly city, then probably normal.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also where you live. Anyone reporting remotely decent MPG also is probably not dealing with hills.
There is no flat land anywhere within 20 miles of where I live.
I go out east and I can get 18 mpg on the highway.
Never more than 15 close to home.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Do you notice your temps running below normal? A stuck thermostat, believe it or not, can significantly reduce mpg’s. Just a thought.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
How much idling and remote starting do you do?

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the RTT on the bed rack I am lucky to get 10 MPG on I95 doing 85. Same situation w/o the tent, about 12.5 MPG.
Not complaining, it is what it is

Last edited:

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Manual tells you to run 89 for best results.

Driving anything over 65-70 will decrease your numbers. How you drive with your right foot also plays a big factor.

I can make mine average 12mpg or 21mpg depending how I’m driving.

I tried running 89 and my mileage went to hell...plus I kept getting tickets and scared the heck out of my wife... and the rest of the people in the parking lot too!

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
My flyin' brick gets 13mpg in Chicago stop and go traffic and I remote start it all the time. I reckon that's not too bad.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That is crazy. I have a 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires and drive pretty hard, usually 80 when I hit the highway. I get around 15 now that it is broken in.

Are you driving around with two pallets of Sakrete in the bed?

Oh, sorry, 3.21s. I see. That wouldn't be possible then. 😄

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Also where you live. Anyone reporting remotely decent MPG also is probably not dealing with hills.
There is no flat land anywhere within 20 miles of where I live.
I go out east and I can get 18 mpg on the highway.
Never more than 15 close to home.

I live in north central Pa. It’s nothing but mountains for me. If it was all flat I could be well into the 20s.

Users who are viewing this thread