5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, but not really complaining about the mpg of a big truck.

The Rebel thing many owners complain about is that the stated MPG is based on a "rubber stamp" EPA figure from a regular RAM with street tires. It has the same rating as a Laramie with 18" base wheels, 3.21 rear axle and street biased tires. TFL Trucks actually reported this as well when their long-term Rebel wasn't getting close to the mpg rating.

Not technically illegal for RAM to do, but kinda shady since the EPA allows manufacturers to lower EPA ratings on specific model trims. The same way Chevy lowers the EPA rating on the Silverado Trail Boss package trucks, RAM could have done the same on the Rebel but chose not to.

This wasn't an issue for me, since I'm familiar with leveled trucks on 33" tires. But there are a lot of first time buyers new to trucks who bought the Rebel and actually thought the window sticker was going to be somewhat accurate. They are usually the ones posting on these forums shocked to see 12-15 mpg in most situations.
Well, anybody that looks at or believes the ratings, I have some ocean front property for sale. Never even look at that side of the sticker.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who are you specifically talking about?

It can't be me, I made it clear I'm not complaining about my mpg.

As for others complaining, it's a forum, they exist so people can discuss issues and things that they like and sometimes bother them. You are complaining about people complaining on a truck forum?
I doubt it's you.
Check out post 1046 and 1048.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, anybody that looks at or believes the ratings, I have some ocean front property for sale. Never even look at that side of the sticker.

Agreed, but being 20% off versus 40% can be shocking for some people. Again, lot of first time owners who have never owned a truck bought theses things. Some can't get their city rating on the highway.

BigD

Reaction score
Who are you specifically talking about?

It can't be me, I made it clear I'm not complaining about my mpg.

As for others complaining, it's a forum, they exist so people can discuss issues and things that they like and sometimes bother them. You are complaining about people complaining on a truck forum?
This allharley guy. Sounds like he likes to whine a lot about nothing. Brings his truck to the dealer because his gas tank doesn't fill exactly to the full line. Really? Holy crap. I'm glad I don't work at a car dealership. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with these people. I just can't believe some of the stuff people complain about. A little OCD don't u think ?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
What's important to me is the fact that the window sticker stated one thing and in actuality it is false. Trade in a brand new 2022 truck with 700 miles on it? Great advice......
If you read my post again, the fill issue is not a gauge issue. It seems to be some sort of venting issue that won't physically allow me to properly fill the tank the last 1/8 of the way.
Look at the combined gas mileage in my picture. You think that's acceptable based on the sticker claims?
how many new vehicles have you ordered or purchased? are you young?

the window sticker is not false.

BigD

Reaction score
People drive 80 mph on the freeway with at least a 2 inch lift, with big off road tires, 3.92 gears, 4 passengers, & a ton of stuff in the box & then get pissed because they don't get what the gas mileage sticker says. 🤣
I can get 24 mpg all day long going 55 mph on a country road with cruise control on.
I can also get 14 mph driving like Dale Earnhardt thru town in stop & go traffic racing every Chevy & Ford that pulls up next to me.
It's 50% driving style & 50% what trim u bought, tires, & rear end gears.

41magmag41

Reaction score
2019 Big Horn. normal 5.7, 4x4, 99600 miles on her, winter milage with WINTER FUEL, 16.5 to 18.5 mpg, SUMMERT FUEL, 18.9 to 21,5. this is using midgrade as suggested by the manufacturer.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just took the Ram for a 4 hr round trip and managed 21.6 overall average MPG. This was on the freeway for the most part.

A few things I noted:

1. Speed, with my setup 4x4 w/ 3.92 64-66 mph is the sweet spot for the best MPG.
2. Wind/aerodynamics these new Rams are not the most aero friendly, and this only worsens with more speed. Only way around this is reducing speed.
3. Acceleration is hard for me as I like to get up to speed swiftly, but I took my time getting speed and my MPG reflected that. *Note, this is not always practical due to traffic and such*

Side note, if you really want to see some great MPG find a truck/suv to follow and watch how much your MPG will increase. You don't need to tailgate, just a nice average distance and it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I just took the Ram for a 4 hr round trip and managed 21.6 overall average MPG. This was on the freeway for the most part.

A few things I noted:

1. Speed, with my setup 4x4 w/ 3.92 64-66 mph is the sweet spot for the best MPG.
2. Wind/aerodynamics these new Rams are not the most aero friendly, and this only worsens with more speed. Not really any way around this is reducing speed.
3. Acceleration is hard for me as I like to get up to speed swiftly, but I took my time getting speed and my MPG reflected that. *Note, this is not always practical due to traffic and such*

Side note, if you really want to see some great MPG find a truck/suv to follow and watch how much your MPG will increase. You don't need to tailgate, just a nice average distance and it makes a huge difference.

Good points about speed, I know I can get some good mpg if I can stay at around the speed limit on the highway in the first two lanes. The only thing is, that's where rocks/stones get flung into your windshield.

Every single windshield hit I've ever had was when cruising in the slow lanes. To avoid that, I have to drive in the two fastest lanes, which means 75 mph or higher, which saps mpg. I really hate windshield rock chips, and have largely avoided them on the RAM by sticking to this strategy. But man, I wish I could cruise on the slow lane from time to time.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good points about speed, I know I can get some good mpg if I can stay at around the speed limit on the highway in the first two lanes. The only thing is, that's where rocks/stones get flung into your windshield.

Every single windshield hit I've ever had was when cruising in the slow lanes. To avoid that, I have to drive in the two fastest lanes, which means 75 mph or higher, which saps mpg. I really hate windshield rock chips, and have largely avoided them on the RAM by sticking to this strategy. But man, I wish I could cruise on the slow lane from time to time.
Great point, I tend to avoid big rigs as they seem to be the worst with flying rocks and such.

Dewey

Reaction score
Unfortunately, or fortunately, the speed limits around here are all 65mph+ and if you're doing any less than 70mph (right lane) in a 65mph zone you are a traffic hazard.
Same here. 70 mph speed limit. I average 80 mph daily. Driving in the right lane sucks. I much prefer zipping along in the left lane. In the summer I can still get 19-20 mpg at this speed with 3.21’s. Winter drops off quite a bit.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. 70 mph speed limit. I average 80 mph daily. Driving in the right lane sucks. I much prefer zipping along in the left lane. In the summer I can still get 19-20 mpg at this speed with 3.21’s. Winter drops off quite a bit.
Winter fuel sucks :ROFLMAO: I barely get 19-20mpg running at 65mph during the winter.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
2. Wind/aerodynamics these new Rams are not the most aero friendly, and this only worsens with more speed. Only way around this is reducing speed.

Aerodynamics of a full size truck is never going to be great, but the 5th Gen Ram 1500 has a lower drag coefficient than most, if not all other full size trucks.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aerodynamics of a full size truck is never going to be great, but the 5th Gen Ram 1500 has a lower drag coefficient than most, if not all other full size trucks.
For sure, I reread my post and I kinda sound negative about the Ram and that was not my intention as for a truck it is aero'ish and better than most. I was thinking more of a general comparison to other vehicles on the road.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just thought of something in regards to aero, so my previous truck was a 2016 GMC 2wd and those trucks sit rather low in the front, especially for the 2wd. I would get amazing MPG with that truck as I left it stock. I sold the truck to my brother in law and he promptly leveled it and now he can't get higher than 21 on the highway, while I had it, I would regularly see 25-27 mpg on the highway.

So I wonder if lowering the Ram in just the Front would improve MPG? Just a crazy thought in my head right now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just thought of something in regards to aero, so my previous truck was a 2016 GMC 2wd and those trucks sit rather low in the front, especially for the 2wd. I would get amazing MPG with that truck as I left it stock. I sold the truck to my brother in law and he promptly leveled it and now he can't get higher than 21 on the highway, while I had it, I would regularly see 25-27 mpg on the highway.

So I wonder if lowering the Ram in just the Front would improve MPG? Just a crazy thought in my head right now.
Normally the less air under the vehicle the better. That the reason for the AAD on ram and the atrocious air damn on the f150 that almost drags the ground.

But I raised my front end so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread