5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Should we start talking about the fact that even on the vehicles the EPA actually tests on the dyno, they don't use ethanol blends? They use straight gas, which is quite difficult to find nowadays, and is more efficient than ethanol. Could keep the thread alive for a while. :ROFLMAO:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Should we start talking about the fact that even on the vehicles the EPA actually tests on the dyno, they don't use ethanol blends? They use straight gas, which is quite difficult to find nowadays, and is more efficient than ethanol. Could keep the thread alive for a while. :ROFLMAO:
That is a consideration but I bet it doesn't account for more than a 2-3% difference in mileage...if that. Non-ethanol gas is readily available in my area.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have it here, but kind of expensive

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just have to jump two octane points and you will magically get 12% better mileage. Just ask around! If you did that and no corn, holy cow, you would be giving the diesel smokers a run for thier money! 😆🤣😂😅

Last edited:

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it I filled up this last tank with 89 octane instead of 87. Mileage went from the usual 17.4 to 19.5. That would be a theoretical extra 54.6 miles per tank or 2.8 gallons saved. At 3.70/gal, that's $10.36 saved at an extra fill-up cost of $5.60

Hard to believe it could make that much of a difference but I'll try a few more tanks to see if this holds up.

I only run 89 in my truck.....even the manual says to run 89....unlike every salesperson out there selling Rams.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been averaging out about 18mpg in the colorado mountains. Not bad at all plus mid grade is only 87 octane and $4.25 a gallon 😫

dwyejj

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have a 2021 Rebel with the same setup and same mileage issue. It has about 3K miles and I just did a trip from Dallas to St. Louis and back. Averaged 14.2mpg, which is basically what I have been getting since I bought the truck. Really like the Ram, but very dissapointed to see this high of a delta between actual and rated mileage. My 2006 F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 that I traded had 180K miles. lift, and 35" tires got this same mileage.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I am curious. How many people surf forums for a vehicle before purchasing it? I do. I try and find out as much about a vehicle so I know what to expect. The Ram for example. I certainly did not expect it to get good milage as about 1 in 10 posts seem to involve gas milage or oil changes.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel with the same setup and same mileage issue. It has about 3K miles and I just did a trip from Dallas to St. Louis and back. Averaged 14.2mpg, which is basically what I have been getting since I bought the truck. Really like the Ram, but very dissapointed to see this high of a delta between actual and rated mileage. My 2006 F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 that I traded had 180K miles. lift, and 35" tires got this same mileage.
You must drive crazier than I do. I average 14.3 and I have a 4 inch lift, 35x12.5 tires and drive about 80 on the highway to work. I am sure if I drove like I had sense the milage would improve. If I were to do stock height and tiny tires with summer road tread it would help too. That's not happening though....

Doesn't the Rebel drop down for a more aerodynamic stance on the highway?

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
The past two weeks I got 17.2 MPG in city driving. That's 35 to 50 MPH, never leaving stop lights at more than 2,000 RPM, not speeding, and trying to minimize my exposure to red lights. I was pretty happy with that.

Today I took a 3 hour road trip on the interstate, speeds on the highway were a mix of 65 MPH to 80 MPH on flat roads, no hammering on the gas, just going with the flow. My trip average was 16 MPG. The actual highway portion was down to 15.7, but the side roads once I got off the interstate pushed it back up to 16.

The only way I can get 20 MPG is if I drive a steady, flat, uninterupted 45 MPH, and even then just barely.

So for me, and where I drive, I get 17 city and 15.5 to 16 highway. :ROFLMAO:

I had lots of long flat stretches to look at things and this is what the onboard computer tells me I'm getting at these speeds:

65 MPH - 18 MPG
70 MPH - 16 MPG (just under 2,000 RPM at that speed)
75 MPH - 15 MPG
80 MPH - 13 MPG

I've got 5,500 miles on it. Maybe it'll get a bit better? Dunno. Those highway figures are about the same as my 2010 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 liter V8. I'm going to guess that's just the way it is trying to push something shaped like a dumpster through the wind at those speeds.

All figures were generated with non-ethanol gas.

2021 Rebel, crew cab, 5.7 etorque, 3.92 gears.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The past two weeks I got 17.2 MPG in city driving. That's 35 to 50 MPH, never leaving stop lights at more than 2,000 RPM, not speeding, and trying to minimize my exposure to red lights. I was pretty happy with that.

Today I took a 3 hour road trip on the interstate, speeds on the highway were a mix of 65 MPH to 80 MPH on flat roads, no hammering on the gas, just going with the flow. My trip average was 16 MPG. The actual highway portion was down to 15.7, but the side roads once I got off the interstate pushed it back up to 16.

The only way I can get 20 MPG is if I drive a steady, flat, uninterupted 45 MPH, and even then just barely.

So for me, and where I drive, I get 17 city and 15.5 to 16 highway. :ROFLMAO:

I had lots of long flat stretches to look at things and this is what the onboard computer tells me I'm getting at these speeds:

65 MPH - 18 MPG
70 MPH - 16 MPG (just under 2,000 RPM at that speed)
75 MPH - 15 MPG
80 MPH - 13 MPG

I've got 5,500 miles on it. Maybe it'll get a bit better? Dunno. Those highway figures are about the same as my 2010 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 5.4 liter V8. I'm going to guess that's just the way it is trying to push something shaped like a dumpster through the wind at those speeds.

All figures were generated with non-ethanol gas.

2021 Rebel, crew cab, 5.7 etorque, 3.92 gears.
Your e-torque is doing a good job in town, If the e-torque was an available option for my Rebel Diesel I would get it, too bad it does not help on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread