5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

GM26J

Reaction score
I'm averaging around 17.4 with the eTorque 5.7 which I consider not bad. Almost all back roads and leisurely driving.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, speed and gearing definitely potentially make a huge difference. Every so often I grab my mom's grand cherokee for a backroads drive to our family farm. At speeds between 45-55mph on those backroads I can exceed 30mpg on that thing. BUT I'm driving it a particular way to see what I can squeeze out. It's a weird hobby of mine 😝

Generally speaking, I find that if I drive like a tailgating prick weaving in and out of traffic in a panic I don't really get where I'm going any faster and I just have garbage mileage and stress to show for it. On long road trips I'm a lock it in at the speed limit and don't stop for anything kind of person. I often see the same vehicles pass me at least twice. All that hammering down with little to show for it. I mean I used to do the same stuff in my youth probably much more offensively than anyone here so I get it, I really do.

I enjoy lower stress and fewer worries about speeding tickets or, wrecks, etc these days. Especially with little kids in the car.

Vilas15

Reaction score
I swear they flip a coin when building these things to decide whether to give you the 20 mpg version or the 15 mpg version. Lucky for me i got good mileage. I think my 3.21 sport bighorn with payload over 1700 is so light thats the biggest factor.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ivoryhemi, that 21 MPG figure for a 5.7 with 3.92's is amazing.

I know that every driver is different, and everyones definition of "highway" is so different that it's basically a meaningless word, but that dash shows you did 66 MPH and averaged 21 MPG.

I ran my truck on an empty highway at 65 MPH and and over a fairly flat 20 mile stretch, I got around 16.5. My overall average on the 5,000 miles I've driven to date is 16.

I drive it like a grandma around town just to see how high I can get the MPG's, but it's never able to maintain anything much over 16 MPG. I never expected to get the mileage posted on the sticker, but I did expect to get more than the 2010 F150 I traded in. :) It's a nice truck so far, and it's fun to drive.

Update...I just took my truck out to see what speed I'd have to drive to get 21 MPG, and the answer is 45 MPH. If I'm going 45 MPH, Ivoryhemi's 5.7 with 3.92's can pass me going 44% faster and be getting the same fuel mileage as me. Something ain't right about that. :ROFLMAO:

I just drove Dallas to Beaumont to Huston and back to Dallas, 20.6 mpg there at 73mph and 22 mpg back @ 75mph. There was a 5mph headwind going south.
@ 65mph I'm in the 25-26 mpg range. Average through 28K miles has been 17.5-18.1 mpg mixed (80/20 city/highway) in Dallas traffic

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just drove Dallas to Beaumont to Huston and back to Dallas, 20.6 mpg there at 73mph and 22 mpg back @ 75mph. There was a 5mph headwind going south.
@ 65mph I'm in the 25-26 mpg range. Average through 28K miles has been 17.5-18.1 mpg mixed (80/20 city/highway) in Dallas traffic
Damn that’s really good! I usually get anywhere from 18-21 MPG’s from all my driving. Highway above 77mph it drops quiet a bit. I’m about to make a trip from DFW to Aspen CO so I’ll see how that goes. I’m expecting to get 17 MPG’s on the way there and 19 MPG’s on the way back

BowDown

Reaction score
Damn that’s really good! I usually get anywhere from 18-21 MPG’s from all my driving. Highway above 77mph it drops quiet a bit. I’m about to make a trip from DFW to Aspen CO so I’ll see how that goes. I’m expecting to get 17 MPG’s on the way there and 19 MPG’s on the way back

Yeah, above 75 it starts going down hill fast. My limit was 20mpg minimum. Seems like 72-73 mph may be the best compromise between speed and fuel efficiency.
My old truck, gen 3 with 3.92 was 17mpg on a good day at 67 mph on the highway, most of the time it was 16, city was 12.8-13.5.
The problem with 65-67 mph in Texas is you'll get run the f over by old women, even at 72-75 mph I was driving in the right lane and getting passed by everything on I45 and I10, but I love this new truck!!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah, above 75 it starts going down hill fast. My limit was 20mpg minimum. Seems like 72-73 mph may be the best compromise between speed and fuel efficiency.
My old truck, gen 3 with 3.92 was 17mpg on a good day at 67 mph on the highway, most of the time it was 16, city was 12.8-13.5.
The problem with 65-67 mph in Texas is you'll get run the f over by old women, even at 72-75 mph I was driving in the right lane and getting passed by everything on I45 and I10, but I love this new truck!!
75 mph seems to be the equilibrium point for my truck. Above that and mpg's go down. If I slow to 73 mph I start to gain mpg's, but very slowly. Between 65-70, I see pretty big gains.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that’s Texas and especially DFW! My last trip to Arkansas I was going 75-85 and I averaged out 18.6 there and back. Not bad for a big truck at all.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I swear they flip a coin when building these things to decide whether to give you the 20 mpg version or the 15 mpg version. Lucky for me i got good mileage. I think my 3.21 sport bighorn with payload over 1700 is so light thats the biggest factor.
It funny because I was thinking the same thing after reading the seemingly 2 different sides of the mpg stories lol.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see that there is a big difference in some mpg results for many people, make sure that you have selected US mpg in the settings, for you guys south of the border, I have set mine to UK for imperial gallon in Canada, my truck gets 31 mpg (diesel) on the highway, most of the time, it’s not as good when going against a head wind or when it rains hard, I am very happy with those results.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do know that’s not accurate…right???

Pretty darn close......I set my trip A gage everytime I fill up......filled up yesterday.....went 327 miles on 16.2 gallons......that's 20.8 hand calculated......my gage said I averaged 20.9 mpg.......I'll take it anyday........BTW.....that's was driving two lane roads about half the miles with cruise set at 55mph.....the other half was I5 freeeway......with cruise set at 65mph. As I said before.....great mileage for a truck with almost 400HP.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's good stuff. Mine is a 4x4 with 3.92's, and your signature says yours is 2 wheel drive with 3.21's, so I can't expect to get as good as you do.

I get that mileage and have the same as you.....4x4....3.92.....crew cab......trailer package......mine is red.....maybe the color has something to do with it?? LOL!

BowDown

Reaction score
Pretty darn close......I set my trip A gage everytime I fill up......filled up yesterday.....went 327 miles on 16.2 gallons......that's 20.8 hand calculated......my gage said I averaged 20.9 mpg.......I'll take it anyday........BTW.....that's was driving two lane roads about half the miles with cruise set at 55mph.....the other half was I5 freeeway......with cruise set at 65mph. As I said before.....great mileage for a truck with almost 400HP.

My hand calc has been within .02 of the evic reading, I hand calculated for the 1st year and never saw a large variance. Hadn't done it in a while since they were so close

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is off by about 1-1.5MPG from calculated as well. Not sure why, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I just keep racking up those miles and pumping gas. :cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread