5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to ask, what speed are you averaging on the highway drive? Must be 50-55 ish.
Here it is when I parked at work (I reset my gas mileage average right after I left my driveway) there were a couple spots where I was cruising at 70mph slightly downhill...
20201002_084733.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before that second picture...I was at exactly 1/2 tank. You can see the mileage before and after....about 22 miles one way on my commute. Somewhere between 80-90% highway. Honestly guys...if you're driving at 75-85 mph and expecting over 20mpg highway you're going to be disappointed...it's not made to be driven like a sports car, or any car for that matter...it's a truck. Try adjusting your driving style and habits. It makes a huge difference. I picked up on a lot of tricks to get better gas mileage ever since I started driving trucks.

Vilas15

Reaction score
2020 crew cab big horn. 4x4. 5.7 hemi. no ET. 3.21 gears. Sport package with highway tires. Dash says 21 mpg on my half hour commute driving 55 to 65 mph. Very happy with it, i was expecting more like 18 or 19 when i bought it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how that compares to when you hand-calculate from fill-up to fill-up.
Last time I hand calculated was from full to half tank. (13 gallons) I don't remember how many miles it was total but it came out to an average of 23.2 (50/50 city/highway though). I'll try it again for my work commuting on Monday and see how it looks.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Just got home from a 4333 mile roadtrip. Tons of elevation change from Nashville to Yellowstone and back. Here’s how I did. Pretty happy with that. 2020 Bighorn, 5.7L eTorque, 4x4, 3.92 gears. 3 passengers with a bed full of luggage. Hard folding tonneau cover. Ran 87 octane the whole trip.

This was probably 3000 interstate miles at 75ish, and the rest mixed. Ran the calculation to show average speed over the trip.
That is excellent mileage for the truck you have. Once mine is broken in I hope to achieve that. (less than 1300 miles so far)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 limited 3.21 gears 4x4 non e torque. Average 13.8-14.5mpg.

Only had truck for 600 miles and would rather get into the new 2021 f150 3.5l hybrid than get this poor mileage for another 5 years.
I have almost the same truck. Ours is a 2019 4x4 Ltd, 3.21 hemi no ET. The combined mpg’s is 15-17 and all highway is 21+. We have 9K on it. That’s at 65-70 mph on relatively flat terrain. I don’t accelerate hard and allow for lights/stops by not braking hard. Typical more senior driver.

I had a 2015 2.7 ecoboost supercab 4x4 f150 with 3.55 gears. The best it ever got was 22 mpg on the highway at 65 mph average, on the same kind of terrain. City was 17 ish. I‘ve not heard that the newer Fords, even with the 10 speed, get anything much better than what I used to get.

While I have read on this forum of owners of 5th gen 3.21 hemi’s that vary up to 30-40% from each other, it seems one of the more variable engine/transmission drivetrains. Usually a drivetrain stays within a range of say 10-20%. It’s disconcerting that many owners have reported a much wider variance with the hemi/8speed. I’m sure that driving styles play a big role but won’t suggest that is the sole reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have almost the same truck. Ours is a 2019 4x4 Ltd, 3.21 hemi no ET. The combined mpg’s is 15-17 and all highway is 21+. We have 9K on it. That’s at 65-70 mph on relatively flat terrain. I don’t accelerate hard and allow for lights/stops by not braking hard. Typical more senior driver.

I had a 2015 2.7 ecoboost supercab 4x4 f150 with 3.55 gears. The best it ever got was 22 mpg on the highway at 65 mph average, on the same kind of terrain. City was 17 ish. I‘ve not heard that the newer Fords, even with the 10 speed, gets anything much better than what I used to get.

While I have read on this forum of owners of 5th gen 3.21 hemi’s that vary up to 30-40% from each other, its one of the weirdest engine/transmission drivetrains. Usually an engine/transmission drivetrain stays within a range of 10-20%. It’s disconcerting that many owners have reported a much wider variance with the hemi/8speed. I’m sure that driving styles play a big role but won’t suggest that is the sole reason.
It's a mix of many things that can have impacts on mpg. Elevation, temperature, oil, Ram configuration, gas, driving style/habits. I think when you combine all of those factors it makes sense why some would get 15mpg highway while others get over 20.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Your correct about elevation and where you drive as I live in 5500 ft elevation with a lot of hills. So my city drive is up and down which really cuts into the MPG.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your correct about elevation and where you drive as I live in 5500 ft elevation with a lot of hills. So my city drive is up and down which really cuts into the MPG.
Right and those hills can also reek havoc on a transmission too if you don't know what you're doing. We have the 215 here in Vegas that has hills that are more like mountains. You're screen name makes me think of Havasu that has a giant mountain that leads out of the city which throws the mpg down to about 8 lol.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Just filled up again... EVIC says 18.6 mpg, hand calc from the same pump I filled up with last time shows 16.8 mpg. EVIC is obviously transposing digits to its advantage :)
EVIC == "Lie-O-Meter"

KK6YHW

Reaction score
I have a Rebel with a shell on it, I drive 75 to 80 on the highway and average just a shade under 15 MPG (Manually calculated). I have 31K miles so it is fully broken in. I don’t have e-torque or air suspension. I feel the MPG is reasonable for my driving style and the trucks configuration.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With 80% city driving, I'm not surprised you're getting that mileage though. But I listed my details above that 25 mpg post..I'll attach photo in an hour or so...

Might want to put your details in your signature as well as your location in your profile.

Users who are viewing this thread