5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

RSZ

Reaction score
I've owned this truck since June and have been averaging around 15mpg mainly city driving. With the weather turning cooler the last couple weeks I've noticed the mileage creeping lower to around 13mpg. Checked the tire pressure, all four tires were down to 34psi. Pumped them back up and we'll see if that helps any. I'm also only at about 4200 miles on the odometer.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a short trailer trip....I have a 2019 crew cab....hemi....3.92...4x4....with a trailer package....we pull a small 17ft Casita...about 3000lbs......we traveled only two lane roads....55 to 60 mph.....got 15/16 mpg while towing.....after dropping off trailer at campground.....we got 20/21 driving around looking at sites. Very pleased with mileage. BTW....truck just hit 7000 miles.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Just got back from a short trailer trip....I have a 2019 crew cab....hemi....3.92...4x4....with a trailer package....we pull a small 17ft Casita...about 3000lbs......we traveled only two lane roads....55 to 60 mph.....got 15/16 mpg while towing.....after dropping off trailer at campground.....we got 20/21 driving around looking at sites. Very pleased with mileage. BTW....truck just hit 7000 miles.
That is fantastic mileage while towing! Ive been thinking about a Casita TT. How do you like yours and was the 17 footer big enough? PM me if you want so we don't hijack this thread.

Reaction score
I am jealous. Mine is a 2020 version of yours, same specs you said your has except I wasn't towing a trailer and have the 3.21 rear end, just 3 people and some luggage from NC to Cleveland keeping the cruise set at 70-80 depending on the speed limit and I averaged 16.5 to 17 MPG on that trip and I wasn't towing anything. Now I am averaging 13.5-14 MPG (hand calc) on my fill ups driving 30 minutes on mostly 45 MPG country roads with about 10 minutes of that drive being small town city driving. I am a bit annoyed because I would have hoped my MPG would be closer to the window sticker because I can get the same ****ty gas mileage in a Toyota Tundra!

Boston

Reaction score
I've owned this truck since June and have been averaging around 15mpg mainly city driving. With the weather turning cooler the last couple weeks I've noticed the mileage creeping lower to around 13mpg. Checked the tire pressure, all four tires were down to 34psi. Pumped them back up and we'll see if that helps any. I'm also only at about 4200 miles on the odometer.
Winter fuel doesn’t help. Always lose 1-2mpg thanks to the govt.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am jealous. Mine is a 2020 version of yours, same specs you said your has except I wasn't towing a trailer and have the 3.21 rear end, just 3 people and some luggage from NC to Cleveland keeping the cruise set at 70-80 depending on the speed limit and I averaged 16.5 to 17 MPG on that trip and I wasn't towing anything. Now I am averaging 13.5-14 MPG (hand calc) on my fill ups driving 30 minutes on mostly 45 MPG country roads with about 10 minutes of that drive being small town city driving. I am a bit annoyed because I would have hoped my MPG would be closer to the window sticker because I can get the same ****ty gas mileage in a Toyota Tundra!
Ouch! I know those Tundras have the worst gas mileage of any half ton pickup, right?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On average you are achieving 50% better fuel mileage than others report. FCA may be willing to pay big bucks to study your truck.
Many years ago I was getting an engine rebuild done on my 77’ GMC 1 ton 4x4. While the 400 cu in v8 was a decent motor, it really suffered trying to haul the truck’s bulk with its 4.10 gears and a 3 speed auto.
8 mpg was its best on the highway at 65 mph.

I was given the shop’s 1996 1500 2 wheel drive extra cab, with a 350. That truck got 17+ mpg’s and had the most responsive engine I’ve ever driven. When asked if the truck had been rebuilt and “hot rodded”, he said it was bone stock. I said that I was surprised and the shop owner told me that “some engines just have everything come together”.

It likely goes both ways. Perhaps some motors just don’t “gell”, which non-mechanical me just doesn’t quite get. Thoughts?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Many years ago I was getting an engine rebuild done on my 77’ GMC 1 ton 4x4. While the 400 cu in v8 was a decent motor, it really suffered trying to haul the truck’s bulk with its 4.10 gears and a 3 speed auto.
8 mpg was its best on the highway at 65 mph.

I was given the shop’s 1996 1500 2 wheel drive extra cab, with a 350. That truck got 17+ mpg’s and had the most responsive engine I’ve ever driven. When asked if the truck had been rebuilt and “hot rodded”, he said it was bone stock. I said that I was surprised and the shop owner told me that “some engines just have everything come together”.

It likely goes both ways. Perhaps some motors just don’t “gell”, which non-mechanical me just doesn’t quite get. Thoughts?

I think in the past that was true to some extent, though I suspect the rebuild engine had more variation than that bone stock motor. Modern motors are probably as consistent as they have ever been.

I think the big missing item people are not really thinking about is the area you are driving in and actual driving style. When I lived in a "flat" state, I was getting great mpg, because I could keep steady light throttle for long distances which was conducive to great mpg. I now live in a very hilly state, with lots of hills, especially the highways which always have grade variations. Which means I'm on throttle a lot and drops mpg. Then you have driving style, heavy or light foot, nice exhaust makes me hit the throttle harder to hear it, etc.

MPG comparing here is a mixed bag, I think it's more those variables is effecting mpg than actual motor variances. I currently average 13 mpg mixed, about 10 city & 17 highway. However, if I take it real easy, I have been able to get 15 city & 21 highway. But I have to drive in a way I don't like, which is why I only get 13 mpg now :)

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Tank 1 - 87 octane. 13.1mpg by hand and 12.6 mpg by screen

Tank 2 - 93 octane. 10.7mpg by hand and 11.4mpg by screen.

Both tanks were utilizing over 3/4 of a full tank. Hoping for improvement but tanks before hand have also been poor. Will make mention to techs when I drop it off of AC TSB.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
My truck on 35s (details in my signature) gets 11.5mpg 100% city if I drive it hard and 14mpg 100% city if I baby it. I’m not too sure what my highway mileage is but I’m taking a 1000 mile highway road trip next week so I’ll be able to tell. I think it gets around 15mpg highway usually but I’m hoping to hit close to 17.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Shoot when I had mine, I was averaging 9 mpg yes you see that correctly (9) and I just considered that normal lol.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well she's now, by far, the worst truck (fuel mileage wise) I have ever owned. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The last two tanks (600'ish mostly highway miles) have been in the mid 14's with a dash indicated mid 15's.

For a basically bone stock truck rated at 20'ish highway mileage, this is **** poor. I've had trucks that weighed more, larger tires, higher gearing, and waaaayyyy less technology that got atleast 16mpg highway on winter fuel.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the big missing item people are not really thinking about is the area you are driving in and actual driving style. When I lived in a "flat" state, I was getting great mpg, because I could keep steady light throttle for long distances which was conducive to great mpg. I now live in a very hilly state, with lots of hills, especially the highways which always have grade variations. Which means I'm on throttle a lot and drops mpg. Then you have driving style, heavy or light foot, nice exhaust makes me hit the throttle harder to hear it, etc.

MPG comparing here is a mixed bag, I think it's more those variables is effecting mpg than actual motor variances. I currently average 13 mpg mixed, about 10 city & 17 highway. However, if I take it real easy, I have been able to get 15 city & 21 highway. But I have to drive in a way I don't like, which is why I only get 13 mpg now :)

+1. Even in the flat areas, if you get a bit of wind, your MPG will vary a lot. Out here on the flat prairie, the wind makes or breaks your MPG far more than even your speedometer.

My one road trip so far with the truck (only 2800 miles on her), I got 18 MPG doing 80+ MPH (speed limit is 80 here on interstate), with no wind.
On the way back, same speeds, with a 25 MPH or so headwind fighting me, I got 14 MPG.

Back when I had my 2014 Ram, I got 12 MPG once with a 35 MPH headwind on that same route. My father had a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost at the time, same route, driving under the speed limit into the same speed headwind, he got 9 MPG.

That same 2014 Ram got 22 MPG once doing 65-75 MPH (depending on construction zones) through Minnesota, because I had a 5-10 MPH tail wind helping.

I just got used to the wind dictating my MPG to me anytime I hit the highway. As long as the MPG doesn't change dramatically independent of the wind (signaling something has gone wrong), I don't pay a ton of attention to it anymore.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow.....that surprises me. I will admit....I rarely go 70 to 80...on the freeway last week with cruise control set at 65.....I was averaging 21 MPG. Filled up the tank the other day.....my range indicator said 520 miles. I only use 89 fuel......and syn oil. Hope your mileage improves.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Check the Fuelly in the sig. Only a few 100 miles of that towing at highway speed. I like the POWER of the 5.7, but the mileage SUCKS (for me at least)...

While I didn't expect MUCH - I sure EXPECTED BETTER. Now with fill ups from "idiot light zone" costing over $70 (and BidenRising) - I'll be glad(der) when my Yukon Diesel comes in.

Just sayin

Rick

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Limited, 3.92 rear, non-e torque.
Bone stock, no mods.
Almost all in-town driving.
13 - 13.5mpg is best I can do after 3,000 miles.
Seriously, this thing is a PIG. My 2.7 Ecoboost got 16mpg same exact scenario.
I'd still rather have the RAM, but holy crap this thing sucks down fuel.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2020 Limited, 3.92 rear, non-e torque.
Bone stock, no mods.
Almost all in-town driving.
13 - 13.5mpg is best I can do after 3,000 miles.
Seriously, this thing is a PIG. My 2.7 Ecoboost got 16mpg same exact scenario.
I'd still rather have the RAM, but holy crap this thing sucks down fuel.

I also had a 2.7L Ecoboost and now a Rebel, I use to get 18 mpg on the same cycle my Ram gets 13 mpg. Of course I didn't have 33" tires on the F150, I suspect the difference would have been closer to about 3 mpg if all things were equal.

Users who are viewing this thread