5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

BacktheBlue00

Reaction score
Here it is when I parked at work (I reset my gas mileage average right after I left my driveway) there were a couple spots where I was cruising at 70mph slightly downhill...
View attachment 70571
Alright so I have to admit that initially I thought you were playing with us and only counting the downhill average. I live in Florida and there are some "hills" where I am that ruin the mpg on the computer. Today I set out to match, or get close to what you're getting. Man I did it, but you must either be the only one on the road or making a lot of people angry :LOL:. I managed to keep it Eco/4 cylinder mode for acceleration which the computer said was 15-17 mpg, but it took dang near 2 minutes to get to 45 mph. Must be very little stop and go for you also. More power to you, because driving in a manner to get over 25 mpg was mundane to say the least, and I already drive conservatively to save fuel (because I am cheap).

IMG_7698.JPG

I'm interested in your trip meter though and what it reflects.

IMG_7699.JPG

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright so I have to admit that initially I thought you were playing with us and only counting the downhill average. I live in Florida and there are some "hills" where I am that ruin the mpg on the computer. Today I set out to match, or get close to what you're getting. Man I did it, but you must either be the only one on the road or making a lot of people angry :LOL:. I managed to keep it Eco/4 cylinder mode for acceleration which the computer said was 15-17 mpg, but it took dang near 2 minutes to get to 45 mph. Must be very little stop and go for you also. More power to you, because driving in a manner to get over 25 mpg was mundane to say the least, and I already drive conservatively to save fuel (because I am cheap).

View attachment 70890

View attachment 70891
It takes some discipline to say the least lol! Here's a photo I took this morning while driving up an incline..
20201005_080926.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 70890

View attachment 70891
Here's my trip meter...photo taken 5 minutes ago...
20201005_084202.jpg

Zig10

Reaction score
Incredibly impressive mileage for these trucks, that's for sure.

For me, I think I figured out the perfect description for my mileage issues. I go up a fairly steep hill on my way home from work every day. It's about 2 miles long, 45 MPH, and the other day I realized that once I hit about 40 my truck is already in 8th gear climbing this hill...and I can even accelerate up it without it dropping to 7th. No other vehicle that I have ever driven (truck, SUV, sports sedan) has ever done that before.

To me, it means this truck needs another gear or two for overdrive with the 3.92 rear.

BacktheBlue00

Reaction score
Here's my trip meter...photo taken 5 minutes ago...

Insane man, again more power to you but I don't think I could survive driving how I had to to get over 22-23 haha. It wasn't highway for me, a lot of stop signs and such. I guess we know it is possible. I was able to average 31-33 in a cross country trip with my 2019 Mustang GT I used to have.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

For me, I think I figured out the perfect description for my mileage issues. I go up a fairly steep hill on my way home from work every day. It's about 2 miles long, 45 MPH, and the other day I realized that once I hit about 40 my truck is already in 8th gear climbing this hill...and I can even accelerate up it without it dropping to 7th. No other vehicle that I have ever driven (truck, SUV, sports sedan) has ever done that before.

To me, it means this truck needs another gear or two for overdrive with the 3.92 rear.
It doesn't downshift because you have the 3.92 gears. That's the beauty of have those gearing ratios!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Insane man, again more power to you but I don't think I could survive driving how I had to to get over 22-23 haha. It wasn't highway for me, a lot of stop signs and such. I guess we know it is possible. I was able to average 31-33 in a cross country trip with my 2019 Mustang GT I used to have.
Lol well it helps when most of my commuting is highway. With a lot of city driving...even my MPGs will start dropping. But with a full tank...my estimated miles is a little over 500

Zig10

Reaction score
It doesn't downshift because you have the 3.92 gears. That's the beauty of have those gearing ratios!

I understand that...which is my point. If you're geared that deeply then at 75-80 MPH revs are way above where they need to be. Hence the need for an additional overdrive. I should clarify that my '18 Expedition also has the trailer package with the deeper rear-end and is also in 8th gear on the way up that hill...The only difference is that it's got at 10-speed, so on the highway it happily pops up into 9th and 10th gears, and I net around 20-21 MPG. In my Ram, as noted, it's pretty much 17-18 MPG across the board.

Just chalk it up to a wish list for the next major revision.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That is a direct result of the 3.92 rear.
Usually only forced induction engines can chug up a hill while holding a cruising gear. But Ram has synthetically achieved this to a degree with the 3.92 gear. It’s really just a magic trick by not having a real overdrive gear, I.e. the 3.21.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
I drove mine off the lot 300 miles home. At 75+ I was lucky to get 17-18. When I cruised at 65, it was around 19. When I went down a stretch of country road at 55, I got around 21 mpg. I seldom drive freeways at 55mph, so I won't get the rated mpg. It definitely could use an extra overdrive gear. That being said, I love the power off the line that I get with the 3.92. I wouldn't trade it for anything. To me, the extra 1-2 mpg for the 3.21 isn't worth it. I absolutely love it!

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Lol well it helps when most of my commuting is highway. With a lot of city driving...even my MPGs will start dropping. But with a full tank...my estimated miles is a little over 500
On average you are achieving 50% better fuel mileage than others report. FCA may be willing to pay big bucks to study your truck.

RHeller1

Reaction score
At 65 to 70mph highway I am hovering around 20. This has been the case with my last 2 rams both with 3.92. I cant complain, it's a truck.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made a recent 850 mile trip from FL to WV. Adaptive cruise set to 76. A few stops along the way including waiting in long line at Chikfila drive thru and eating in the car with the AC running in the parking lot. Lie-o-meter says 21.7 at the end of the trip.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Made a recent 850 mile trip from FL to WV. Adaptive cruise set to 76. A few stops along the way including waiting in long line at Chikfila drive thru and eating in the car with the AC running in the parking lot. Lie-o-meter says 21.7 at the end of the trip.
That is great gas milage, even if it is a relative flat drive.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Fully loaded 2019 Limited, non-etorque, 3.21 gears. Just went from Scranton PA to Allentown PA and back. Average 19.4mpg per the lie-o-meter. Not complaining. Pretty good for such a heavy *** truck.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On average you are achieving 50% better fuel mileage than others report. FCA may be willing to pay big bucks to study your truck.
Lmao! I just saw this comment. Honestly....that's not a bad idea. Maybe send them an email with a few photos. When I first saw my mpg; I had to double check that there was a Hemi under the hood. (not like the roar or acceleration didn't already remind me lol). I have noticed that using cruise control DESTROYS my gas mileage though. Unless I'm cruising on a level road.

Users who are viewing this thread