5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

4timeRamOwner

Reaction score
Big horn 3.92 crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 w/etorqe 33 gallon tank and I'm getting right at 15mpg. Not bad considering winter fuel mix and not broken in yet.
Break it in. It won't get any better. Mine got worse. At 13,000 miles, I have the same set up as you and I get 13 city and 17 highway at best. Call Mike at Fiat Chrysler 866-932-3873 extension 3020888 to complain. I think we should all be getting within 1-2mpg of what the sticker says. Every other car I have ever owned has done as well as the sticker, including the 3 previous Rams I've owned.

Jack

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.

Most likely cause is the weight. Off road package also comes with 1 inch lift and skid plates add weight. Air suspension adds weight, and 3.92 reduces MPG at highway speed. Even E torque adds weight. My guess is that the added weight should be between 200-400 lbs, and when you add 3.92 into the mix, you're going to reduce MPG by a lot.

R

Rob5589

You can be just about guaranteed that they are not using a fully loaded limited 4x4/3.92 as their test subject. A few hundred pounds should not make that much difference. Fully loaded with close to 600 lbs of gear and two dudes at 450 combined, mine will get in the mid twenties at 75 mph, with 3.21's, and not fully optioned out. The 3.92 is likely the major culprit in poor fuel economy.

67 RT

Reaction score
13.5 for me in mixed city and highway. I’ve sniffed 20 once on a long road trip but that was going sub 70mph. Above that speed and I was below 20. They get pretty bad gas mileage, but I knew that going in.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can be just about guaranteed that they are not using a fully loaded limited 4x4/3.92 as their test subject. A few hundred pounds should not make that much difference. Fully loaded with close to 600 lbs of gear and two dudes at 450 combined, mine will get in the mid twenties at 75 mph, with 3.21's, and not fully optioned out. The 3.92 is likely the major culprit in poor fuel economy.
Please tell us what engine you have in your truck. Is it the diesel? Because I am pretty sure you are not going to average in the mid twenties at 75 mph. I recently travelled round trip from Houston to El Paso, a trip of about 1450 miles and pretty flat terrain. I purposely drove under the limit, my trip computer said my average speed was 62 mph. My trip computer also said my average gas mileage was 19.5.

drak1071

Reaction score
Fully loaded 4x4 stock 2020 limited with the 3.92s, getting 13-14mpg in the city and ~16-17 on the freeway. It's been awful. (6400 miles)

ScarletNight

Reaction score
My gas milage in the city is around 15, but on straight highway driving I get 22. I have a Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi.

MickeyRam

Reaction score
I’m averaging 15-16 mpg with all city driving. Drive 10 miles one way to work, not sure if it will get better with warmer weather.

Currently have 1200 miles on the Ram.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fully loaded 4x4 stock 2020 limited with the 3.92s, getting 13-14mpg in the city and ~16-17 on the freeway. It's been awful. (6400 miles)

That is what I get also.

So what is the magic number when "TRUCK" MPG becomes unacceptable? 5 MPG? Just give me time and I might hit that number lol.

Your 8 MPG is the worst I have seen for someone that does not floor it/tow it everywhere.

TBass

Reaction score
Having followed this post since I placed an order for a truck a few months ago... and having received my truck on Saturday and putting 350 miles on it. I'm actually shocked that I'm getting right at 18mpg while using it to move from one house to another. Keep in mind that I am not weighing it down with much, but I am pleasantly surprised that if I drive it sanely that it gets reasonable gas mileage.

nilsfisher24

Reaction score
I’m getting 18-19 consistent back and forth to work. Mostly back roads, some stop and go.
Bighorn CC non ET with 3.92’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread