5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

BlackBeauty14

Reaction score
Are you guys going by the readout on the dash or figuring it on your own with a calculator.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I may be getting in on this conversation a bit late, but reading all of these comments about the eTorque engine is really making me regret my decision to get this particular build. My Big Horn 4x4 CC has has eTorque with the 3.21 gears and RamBox. I only have 223 miles on this truck and I am averaging 12.7 mpg with 95 percent city driving. The short amount of time I did have it on the freeway was at 70 mph for about 10 miles and my average was 17-18, depending on how long eco stayed on. I set the cruise during that time and mine is not adaptive like the higher models most of you have. So minus the RamBox adding weight, I think my truck is the lightest equipped 4x4 CC, bone stock example. I was thinking it might be due to how new the engine is, but I started thinking about the fuel economy I was getting in the Ram Sport they had me driving for two days while they went and picked up truck from another dealer and that 4x4 same equipped truck with no eTorque was easily averaging 20 mpg on the same highway. This is every concerning for me as I just started leasing this truck two weeks ago. Not good for a first time Ram owner.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow tats what I’m averaging with a BDS, 3.92 gears and 35” tires. Hopefully as you drive more the computer will learn and your mileage will go up.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Forgive me, but it seems everyone who is reporting decent gas mileage has the non- eTorque engine according to their signatures. The OP's original reason for posting was to say that the eTorque is getting worse mileage than the non-eTorque Hemi engines. All of these comments are only verifying the OP's complaint. I too am experiencing the same results, allbiet a new truck, as everyone else with an eTorque. Also, just to give everyone a warm fuzzy, I looked up the trade-in value of my $50k truck with 225 miles and it is instantly worth $15k less than what I paid for it on March 13th.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive me, but it seems everyone who is reporting decent gas mileage has the non- eTorque engine according to their signatures. The OP's original reason for posting was to say that the eTorque is getting worse mileage than the non-eTorque Hemi engines. All of these comments are only verifying the OP's complaint. I too am experiencing the same results, allbiet a new truck, as everyone else with an eTorque. Also, just to give everyone a warm fuzzy, I looked up the trade-in value of my $50k truck with 225 miles and it is instantly worth $15k less than what I paid for it on March 13th.

Mine gets 13 with no E-Torque...so there is that.

And you take a 20% hit easily after you drive off the lot with another 10% per year usually....so that is right on track.

The only trucks that hold value are specialty ones like the Ford Raptor which sells for full MSRP usually.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Mine gets 13 with no E-Torque...so there is that.

And you take a 20% hit easily after you drive off the lot with another 10% per year usually....so that is right on track.

The only trucks that hold value are specialty ones like the Ford Raptor which sells for full MSRP usually.
And I feel for you, but you certainly seem to be the minority of the sample of owners commenting on this page that mention poor mileage with a non-eTorque engine. I realize after owning my 3.5L Ecoboost that advertised mileage is not correct, but these numbers from these eTorque owners are downright pitiful and I fear that is what I am in store for for the duration of my lease.

holdstill79

Reaction score
Same. My previous hemi Rams ( 2013 can't remember axle, 2016 express with 3.92, 2017 limited with 3.21, all 4wd crew cabs) would have zero issue getting 21-22 on highway and 17 combined. My new 2020 Laramie 4x4 crew with 3.21 struggles to get 17 on highway and 13 combined. My truck is a non e-torque. It is so disappointing that I did a Google search and found this thread. I know we didn't buy trucks to be gas savers, but it is jaw dropping how much worse they are to the 4th gen. Absolutely horrendous.

AmostheDog

Reaction score
Thankfully, there are ALOT of third-parties calling Ram's bluff on the Etorque mpg. Ram customer service may say they are 'unaware' of the issue, but I don't see how that is true with all the reports of terrible mpg not even coming close to the marketed values. I purchased my RAM and paid extra for the Etorque to get the 19 combined and 22 highway mpg. I expect to get what RAM promised. Please don't let Ram take our money with sales, marketing, and performance claims that aren't real. We'll only see action if we act collectively. I'm sending my certified letter to RAM next week as required by my state's lemon laws. Here's my collection of reports so far. The TFL youtube videos are the most realistic and compelling IMO.

Third-party content addressing RAM mpg performance:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ntage-of-hybrids-but-the-lowest-fleet-mpg-why

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-2020-ram-1500s-fuel-economy-is-drastically-worse-than-advertised/

https://5thgenrams.com/2019-ram-rebel-highway-mpg-test/

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Just picked mine up yesterday. Laramie with e torque. I didn't search out the e torque, it coincided with the other options I wanted.

This is my 6th Ram. I've never gotten anywhere close to sticker estimated mpg in any of mine, no matter how hard I've tried. Best I have ever seen on any of mine was 17. I've always seen guys talking about 18 up to 20 plus. That's never happened for me.

I hope I don't find that this truck ends up even less that all my other RAMs, but I never expected to get the EPA est numbers eitner.

Jako

Reaction score
I did 123 miles, 85-90% at 65 mph and the balance at 50-55 mph and averaged 22.9 mpg according to the mpg gauge. I also find the mpg gauge accurate to hand calculation IF you have a consistent mpg use. Temp was 52 degrees and it was 89 octane gas (top tier, 10% ethanol), oil is syn PUP, load was about 300 lbs+ (including me), full tank of gas and for the most part didn't hit the brake. Route was north on the Garden State Parkway and south on NJ Turnpike for the most part. Vehicle has 17,000 miles on the odometer.
On a 1200 mile trip (very little non highway) I averaged 20.24 mpg but that had speeds greater than 65 mph and heavy acceleration to pass other vehicles.
Highway mpg on window sticker is 21.
Oh yeah, can't leave out it was clean with a good old wax job. The wax is part of my inheritance (along with oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, windshield fluid - list goes on and on).

I do find the Ram doesn't like the cold weather on start up and my city driving is below the mark of 15 mpg, probably 11-13 depending on outside temperature and traffic. Can't blame FCA or Ram on my city mpg as I do not know how it is tested versus my city driving, also do they use pure gasoline vs 10% ethanol, which is unavailable in my area.

My understanding is the sticker mpg is meant for comparison from vehicles to vehicles. 16,820 miles I have averaged 17.11 overall.

I also followed the break in period for the motor as per the manual (on page 200 and something) which is wide open to debate.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have mentioned this before.....my 1500 has 4,000 miles on it....I have the 3.92 rear....an tow package....I don't drive fast and live rural....most driving is two lane roads at about 55mph.....I am getting 20+ mpg.....just filled up the other day....range said 520 miles.....I am amazed at the mileage with this truck.....my 2003 Chevy 2500 used to get 13 to 14 mpg and the range with same size tank was down around 300 miles. When we do get on the freeways.....I set cruise around 65mph and still get 19 to 20 mpg. My mileage is based on the dash......it appears to be very accurate.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Same. My previous hemi Rams ( 2013 can't remember axle, 2016 express with 3.92, 2017 limited with 3.21, all 4wd crew cabs) would have zero issue getting 21-22 on highway and 17 combined. My new 2020 Laramie 4x4 crew with 3.21 struggles to get 17 on highway and 13 combined. My truck is a non e-torque. It is so disappointing that I did a Google search and found this thread. I know we didn't buy trucks to be gas savers, but it is jaw dropping how much worse they are to the 4th gen. Absolutely horrendous.
We took our 19‘ Ltd 4x 3.21 non ET out on a 300+ hiway drive today, climbing up about 1,000’+ to our destination then the trip back down. Reset the mpg on screen at the start when I filled up (87 non-top tier) and averaged 65 mph on highways (some marked 55, some 70) for about 70% of the trip, the rest was a 35 mph windy mtn road (Blue Ridge Parkway). Here’s the result (see pics).
This truck gets a consistent 3-4 mpg highway better than my son who has the same engine and gears on his 19 Ltd. Some trucks just do better than others I guess.

Attachments

• E251A81E-503F-4D1F-A879-842C95D168F4.jpeg
    E251A81E-503F-4D1F-A879-842C95D168F4.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 50A0EFA4-6A27-43BB-B574-E00DED8281ED.jpeg
    50A0EFA4-6A27-43BB-B574-E00DED8281ED.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.

This. 3.92 axle ratio in Rams have been natorious for terrible gas mileage for the last decade. I have the Bighorn Hemi with Etorque...with 3.21 axle ratio....averaging 24 mpg (75% highway). Axle ratio makes a huge difference with Rams for some reason.

Boston

Reaction score
EPA numbers are a mess, especially in 1500 of al brands with all the different axle ratios , weights etc.

Jako

Reaction score
We took our 19‘ Ltd 4x 3.21 non ET out on a 300+ hiway drive today, climbing up about 1,000’+ to our destination then the trip back down. Reset the mpg on screen at the start when I filled up (87 non-top tier) and averaged 65 mph on highways (some marked 55, some 70) for about 70% of the trip, the rest was a 35 mph windy mtn road (Blue Ridge Parkway). here’s the result (see pics).
This truck gets a consistent 3-4 mpg highway better than my son who has The same engine and gears on his 19 Ltd. Some trucks just do better than others I guess.
The owner's manual has a break in period, which is open to debate. Did you concern yourself with the break in period and if so what was your procedure?

Users who are viewing this thread