5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issues with my 2020 Rebel. I spent the extra $$ for the Etorque's better mpg and haven't see it deliver. This weekend, I just happened to watch 'The Fast Lane' podcast on mpg testing across the three brands. Although the Trail Boss and Raptor had lower published mpg, they seemed to be within 2-3% of the published number. The 2019 Rebel was close to 20% off the published number. I experienced a 16% discrepancy yesterday on a 152 mile trip yesterday...that even had a 1500 ft drop in elevation. I had hopes it would hit the mark on the downhill run.
If you're getting 14mpg or better, consider yourself lucky... if you're getting 12-13, join the club.

4timeRamOwner

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issues with my 2020 Rebel. I spent the extra $$ for the Etorque's better mpg and haven't see it deliver. This weekend, I just happened to watch 'The Fast Lane' podcast on mpg testing across the three brands. Although the Trail Boss and Raptor had lower published mpg, they seemed to be within 2-3% of the published number. The 2019 Rebel was close to 20% off the published number. I experienced a 16% discrepancy yesterday on a 152 mile trip yesterday...that even had a 1500 ft drop in elevation. I had hopes it would hit the mark on the downhill run.
I have the same issue. My 2019 limited with eTorque can't get better than 17.5mpg on the highway in the best case. I'm fighting with FCA right now, but they say its a driver issue, which is BS. The only research they've done is call my dealership, which says he can't find anything wrong with the truck and it is operating as designed. But operating as designed doesn't explain the poor gas mileage, the truck drives fine. I've had multiple Rams, and the only one getting nothing close to what the sticker said is this new one with the eTorque. The eTorque system is dragging the truck down, not helping. I've offered my truck to Chrysler for testing and offered to drive it up there for them to show me how it can get better gas mileage. But I can't get them to take me up on that or allow me to talk to anyone beyond customer service. Their next call back to me is supposed to tell me what their technical department thinks about my situation. If I can't get an answer in the next 2 days, I'm calling the Lemon Law Lawyer in my town. Here is one thing I did find out after talking to 4 different people about my case at FCA. They don't read these forums. They all told me they won't search to see if others are having the same issues. We all complain, but they aren't listening. I guess all we're doing is informing each other about the issues. I just wish I had found this forum BEFORE I bought the eTorque option. I love the truck, just not this stupid extra package that is destroying the fuel economy.

4timeRamOwner

Reaction score
I can relate. My fully optioned Limited Hemi with the eTorque is only gettin 13.7 mile with mostly highway driving.
We need a grass roots effort to fight back against this issue. Call Mike at FCA 866-932-3873 extension 3020888 and complain to him directly. He says FCA has never heard of this issue and says they never read these forums.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
i get about 17-17.5 mpg with a mix city/hwy, pretty much what the sticker says. 4x4 3.21. Best I ever got was 21.5 mpg on the computer on a trip from Houston to Lake Charles, pretty flat @ 75 mph. Noticed a drop in mpg with the winter blend gas though over summer.

best thing to do is make your active gauge the instant mpg number and meter. Make it a game to learn the best throttle positions and speeds for best mpg.

AmostheDog

Reaction score
If you're getting 14mpg or better, consider yourself lucky... if you're getting 12-13, join the club.
I don't consider myself "lucky", just maybe not as bad off. I paid the extra $$ for the 17/22 published number and that's what I expect to be close to. From 'The Fast Lane' episode, it doesn't appear that Ford or Chevy have trouble meeting published performance.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I don't consider myself "lucky", just maybe not as bad off. I paid the extra $$ for the 17/22 published number and that's what I expect to be close to. From 'The Fast Lane' episode, it doesn't appear that Ford or Chevy have trouble meeting published performance.
"lucky" it isn't worse - like some of us... But I understand your legitimate concern.

AmostheDog

Reaction score
12mpg gang reporting in! View attachment 47903
I just talked with RAM Customer Care at 1-800-992-1997 to report and open a case on the issue. I suggest others do the same to show volume...strength in numbers. They also told me to call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 as NHTSA is the one that actually advocates for the recalls with the manufacturers.

AmostheDog

Reaction score
I just talked with RAM Customer Care at 1-800-992-1997 to report and open a case on the issue. I suggest others do the same to show volume...strength in numbers. They also told me to call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 as NHTSA is the one that actually advocates for the recalls with the manufacturers.
Correction. I was misinformed by RAM Customer Care. The NHTSA doesn't deal with mpg issues. Please disregard the NHTSA part.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So which trim and drivetrain/cab combination was used for the EPA test?
I cant imagine that the EPA tested a 4x CC longbed 3.92 loaded up Laramie or Limited... So wouldn't that combination get worse mileage than the (likely) Tradesman QC 4x2 with 3.21?
Seems to me that those who have Ltd’s or 3.92 gears should have had their own EPA test, but I dont think thats how it is done.

Someone out there probably knows a lot more about the newer testing protocols than I do.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ I don’t think your wrong. I’m sure you could find the spec truck.

Side note- are these #s hand calculations, truck calculations or both- very close to each other?

Hamdizle

Reaction score
Big horn 3.92 crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 w/etorqe 33 gallon tank and I'm getting right at 15mpg. Not bad considering winter fuel mix and not broken in yet.

buffalobill

Reaction score
So which trim and drivetrain/cab combination was used for the EPA test?
I cant imagine that the EPA tested a 4x CC longbed 3.92 loaded up Laramie or Limited... So wouldn't that combination get worse mileage than the (likely) Tradesman QC 4x2 with 3.21?
Seems to me that those who have Ltd’s or 3.92 gears should have had their own EPA test, but I dont think thats how it is done.

Someone out there probably knows a lot more about the newer testing protocols than I do.
Limited 4x4 3.92 gears .Just got back from a 830 mile round trip and averaged 19.5 mpg

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Big horn 3.92 crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 w/etorqe 33 gallon tank and I'm getting right at 15mpg. Not bad considering winter fuel mix and not broken in yet.
So I've read a lot about winter fuel mixes. Is there any way to know for sure whether or not a station is using this, what it's true effects are, and when it will change to summer mixes?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^^ I don’t think your wrong. I’m sure you could find the spec truck.

Side note- are these #s hand calculations, truck calculations or both- very close to each other?
Well I searched online for about 30 minutes trying (in vain) to find an article(s) that described how the EPA and/or manufacturers tested various trim levels. They don't, as far as I can tell,

All I can find is that the EPA spot checks/tests the claimed mpg's from 10-15% of new vehicles annually. This is in an effort to "keep the manufacturers honest". If you dig enough you'll find where periodically the EPA tests force car makers to re-label their Mulroney stickers with corrected values. (https://www.epa.gov/recalls/fuel-economy-label-updates)
Begin article quote:
Can engineers "game" the system? You bet: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084565_gaming-the-epa-gas-mileage-tests-how-it-really-works
"...But do manufacturers really game the test cycles?
An interesting thought piece on Road & Track by ubiquitous writer Steve Abrams touches on the topic.
The 4-page article notes the increased level of electronic vehicle-control systems that sit between the driver and the car. They interpret driver requests for power, braking, or cornering--and decide which vehicle systems to activate, and to what degree, to fulfill the driver's requests safely.
It ties those systems together with future possibilities for autonomous driving by cars, and the challenges for engineers of designing cars that actually attain their EPA ratings.
Because the more sophisticated those electronic control systems become, the more opportunities there are for engineers to map some of their parameters directly against the known, standardized EPA tests.

End quote

Of the several "relabeled" values, most were off (too high, duhh) by 1-2 mpg in either city, highway, combined or any combination of the three. The hybrids were the worst, with some being off as much as 27%. The EPA's test was revised in 2008 to try and be more realistic yet it is still not real-world. Here's an opinion article quote: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/epa-testing-brokenheres-fix/
Begin quote:
Since CAFE testing is done using the two-cycle system, it's likely automakers are prioritizing technologies that do well in those conditions, without considering how they do in the real world,” says John German, a researcher with the International Council on Clean Transportation and one of the people who exposed the Volkswagen diesel scandal.
In other words, today’s CAFE testing regimen encourages automakers to build cars that would be great for a world that’s flat like Kansas, temperate like San Diego, and slow-moving like the Shire. A world that doesn’t exist."

End quote

If you were to try and find out how the EPA and makers test, they use a "road load determination" for each type of vehicle and then plug that into their computers and their dyno's. Real world driving/testing is not done due to "too many variables". See: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34102&flag=1
Engineering types will want to read this article: http://www.thecartech.com/subjects/auto_eng/Road_loads.htm

So, while I can't find how the different trim levels were tested, or even if they were (there's no way my loaded CC 4x4 Ltd would get the same mpg as a QC 4x2 Tradesman...), maybe someone else can...

So the main point is, no one should accept that the Mulroney mpg sticker is all that accurate if you have anything other than a basic (car) truck. I cannot compalin that my truck doesn't get the same mileage as the one 500# lighter, and I certainly don't drive indoors on a dyno.

What % of variation is "acceptable"? That's for anyone to guess. I've never attained the sticker mileage on my last 4 vehicles. I've only been "off" by at most 20%, and usually am within 2-3 mpg city and 1-2 mpg highway (highway if I'm on flat roads going 70, not 80+).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m thinking the fuel savings percentage calculations is maximized buy using start stop part of ET aggressively. I’m not saying people aren’t using it. Just a thought that popped into my head.

4timeRamOwner

Reaction score
Call Mike at Fiat Chrysler Case management. 866-932-3873, extension 3020888. He says he has not heard anything of poor gas mileage and my complaint was the first. He's closing my complaint because he says my truck is operating within spec's. eTorque getting no better than 13 city and 17 hwy. I'm keeping a fuel log and documenting meticulously, but they say that my real-world mileage is within the range of what the truck should get. eTorque is a poor choice. The standard Hemi gets better mileage every day of the week!

Users who are viewing this thread