5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pleasant surprises?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t know the truck would slam on the brakes while reversing when a leave is just flying by... I thought my transmission locked up haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same .. posted the same thing in another thread about how I thought for sure I ran into my retaining wall or something as the leave went past the camera. Made sure I disabled that and just use the Audible sense.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Same .. posted the same thing in another thread about how I thought for sure I ran into my retaining wall or something as the leave went past the camera. Made sure I disabled that and just use the Audible sense.

I *wanted* to like it. I really did. But after three or four times of having it scare the ever-loving shyte out of me just backing over my curb or into my garage, I finally just turned it off. Made it this far without it, figure I’ll take my chances.

Now my wife’s Nissan is much less sensitive but has already saved her bacon a few times.

BugGuy

Reaction score
To me, it seems that its more of an issue when your backing down hill. Like out of a driveway that's angled down and/or when you have a significant drop at the end of a driveway. I turn it off when I suspect its going to be an issue, but leave it on for parking lots and stuff like that.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, FM. Was nice when my wife would call in the middle of a hot sports opinion about how the a Cowboys don’t really suck or about Luka being the greatest. Both topics I need to hear, but now miss.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have radio stations broadcasting in HD and you have that feature (and option selected in uconnect) you should be able to pause for up to 15 mins? I don't presently live near any local HD stations but in my previous vehicle that's how it worked.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I *wanted* to like it. I really did. But after three or four times of having it scare the ever-loving shyte out of me just backing over my curb or into my garage, I finally just turned it off. Made it this far without it, figure I’ll take my chances.

Now my wife’s Nissan is much less sensitive but has already saved her bacon a few times.
I have found it to be speed-sensitive, meaning if you are going really slow, it doesn't kick in like it would if you were going even 5 MPH. While backing into my garage it would engage often, so I slowed down to a crawl and never has since.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I have found it to be speed-sensitive, meaning if you are going really slow, it doesn't kick in like it would if you were going even 5 MPH. While backing into my garage it would engage often, so I slowed down to a crawl and never has since.
I tried that, too. It didn't seem to matter how slowly I was backing up, it would still slam on unexpectedly. Even backing VERY gently over the curb would cause it to lock up. I just couldn't handle it anymore. Maybe some are just more sensitive than others. :unsure:

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried that, too. It didn't seem to matter how slowly I was backing up, it would still slam on unexpectedly. Even backing VERY gently over the curb would cause it to lock up. I just couldn't handle it anymore. Maybe some are just more sensitive than others. :unsure:
I keep mine on and I have become immune to the back and neck jolt. :ROFLMAO: I am like others who back into a garage with maybe a foot to inches to spare here and there and it helps me double check my bearings to make sure I am on my correct line and not going to end up with a dent. I see it as one of three tools when I back into that type tight space. First I use my side mirrors and back up cam to make sure there are no obstructions prior to backing, then I primarily rely on the side mirrors to get alignment and begin backing and then I have the collision warning as a fail safe.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
I know we’re not looking for unpleasant surprises but the fact I can’t pause live radio and the sunroof spoiler sucking is garbage. Two items my Tundra beats the Ram at.

Everything else is far better, so far!
So you are former Tundra guy?

What is your experience with new Ram compared to Tundra?

I'm not sure what you mean by sunroof spoiler?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most pleasant "surprise" so far I think is the side lights that turn on when you're in a dark part of the road and turn off when there's enough light. I have no idea what lights they are - if they're my fog lights, or just side marker lights - but when you are driving at night, if you get into a dark part of a road with no street lights all of a sudden you have decent side lighting such that you can see off to both sides of the truck instead of just straight ahead like normal headlights. I really like this feature.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Most pleasant "surprise" so far I think is the side lights that turn on when you're in a dark part of the road and turn off when there's enough light. I have no idea what lights they are - if they're my fog lights, or just side marker lights - but when you are driving at night, if you get into a dark part of a road with no street lights all of a sudden you have decent side lighting such that you can see off to both sides of the truck instead of just straight ahead like normal headlights. I really like this feature.
That was a pleasant surprise for me, too. Turns out they are indeed your fog lights. If you have them on, it won't matter...they'll both stay lit. But if they're off, your blinker side fog light will come on during the turn. Very nice touch. Reminds me of an '85 Thunderbird I had way back in the day. It has a separate light that did the same thing and is the only other vehicle I've owned that did this, and I've had several dozen. I'm sure there are other vehicles that do it, but this is a nice touch and one that should be more common if not mandatory.

Donaldo

Reaction score
How about the coin holder that holds dollar coins. My coworkers think that is the best feature. Day 2 of owning the truck I was at the bank getting a roll of gold dollar coins. They look really good in the console!

BugGuy

Reaction score
How about the coin holder that holds dollar coins. My coworkers think that is the best feature. Day 2 of owning the truck I was at the bank getting a roll of gold dollar coins. They look really good in the console!

One thing I don't like is how the coin holder is in the open, in plain sight. If you're in an urban area, it becomes a target for addicts and low lifes.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing I don't like is how the coin holder is in the open, in plain sight. If you're in an urban area, it becomes a target for addicts and low lifes.

As others have suggested in different threads just flip the insert around so the coin holder is toward the back of the tray and out of sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/