5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pleasant surprises?

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Most pleasant "surprise" so far I think is the side lights that turn on when you're in a dark part of the road and turn off when there's enough light. I have no idea what lights they are - if they're my fog lights, or just side marker lights - but when you are driving at night, if you get into a dark part of a road with no street lights all of a sudden you have decent side lighting such that you can see off to both sides of the truck instead of just straight ahead like normal headlights. I really like this feature.
This also made me think of the puddle lamps (the ones on the very bottoms of the side mirrors). They come on when you unlock the truck at night (daytime too?) and also when you lock it, I think (also at night, but not sure about day?) They are definitely helpful at night when approaching or leaving your vehicle. I just wish there was a switch that let you turn them off and on as needed. My F150s had separate side mirror marker lights with a switch that let you turn these off and on as needed. You could even "aim" them by moving the mirror in an out. Not sure if Ram offers something like this in the upper trim levels, but my mid-level Laramie doesn't have it. Oh well...still LOVE this truck.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
One thing I don't like is how the coin holder is in the open, in plain sight. If you're in an urban area, it becomes a target for addicts and low lifes.

Not on my setup, it has a nice roll top cover to it...no one sees that, nor the drink holders, unless I want them to.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I keep mine on and I have become immune to the back and neck jolt. :ROFLMAO: I am like others who back into a garage with maybe a foot to inches to spare here and there and it helps me double check my bearings to make sure I am on my correct line and not going to end up with a dent. I see it as one of three tools when I back into that type tight space. First I use my side mirrors and back up cam to make sure there are no obstructions prior to backing, then I primarily rely on the side mirrors to get alignment and begin backing and then I have the collision warning as a fail safe.
Yep, this is exactly how I back into my garage (sans the auto brake now.) The fourth element I use is a small piece of black tape on the wall that I use to line up my eyes to the door lock peg to the tape. Keeps me consistently in the same spot without having to use a parking pad, block, tennis ball, etc. Probably don't need it anymore with the backup tools, but I'm a creature of habit I guess.

Donaldo

Reaction score
One thing I don't like is how the coin holder is in the open, in plain sight. If you're in an urban area, it becomes a target for addicts and low lifes.

Hmm mine has a cover and can slide out of sight. However it is fully accessible to folks that know it is there (i.e. car wash and valets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natehawes

Reaction score
I like how when I switch radio stations the song currently being played is started from the beginning of the song. I mainly listen to XM so I’m not sure if this also works with radio.

BugGuy

Reaction score
I like how when I switch radio stations the song currently being played is started from the beginning of the song. I mainly listen to XM so I’m not sure if this also works with radio.

I don't think my bighorn does that. Sounds nice though.

PMantle

Reaction score
I have only experienced that when using the favorites function. I have never heard of it on any other system ever.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this on SiriusXM but I do know it does it on iPhone (or other .mp3's and the like). I'll have to give it a try today to see if I have the same results with satellite radio.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Another thing I didn't know but have figured out is that if you push the center button where the volume rocker is behind the right side of the steering wheel, it changes the input mode. Like, from Satellite to Aux1, Aux2, Aux3, Bluetooth, AM, FM, and so on.

BLAM

Reaction score
First time poster. Purchased a 2020 black Limited fully loaded with black appearance on 8th Feb. Already made so many mods. Leveling and hard bed cover this weekend; may also hardwire the radar if I have time.

Positives:
  1. So many cup holders.
  2. Adaptive cruise control, my 2019 highly optioned BMW X5 doesn’t have this.
  3. Storage/cooler under the rear floor mat.
  4. Comfiest reclining rear seats ever.
  5. Back electric sliding window- my first truck ever.
  6. How much I love this truck after +25 years of driving sports and luxury cars. It is sexy as hell. I’m so much chiller now - drive 5 mph under the speed limit instead of 10 mph over. This may be the first car I might keep more than 2 years.

Negative:
  1. 13.7 mpg. Thought it would be at least 17; I do a lot of highway driving. At least I’m no longer paying for supreme gas.
  2. Can’t keep the air suspension from lowering during drive.
  3. Can’t keep the power steps extended during drive.
  4. Sucks the mirror don’t auto fold at lock.
  5. How stupid I look trying to park- not used to driving something this big.

Attachments

• Ram 4.jpg
    Ram 4.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Ram 3.jpg
    Ram 3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Ram 2.jpg
    Ram 2.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 57
  • Ram 1.jpg
    Ram 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 58

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not absolutely sure about the 2019’s and up but in my 2016 Rebel you can turn off the aero mode in the settings on the infotainment system .

Narg

Reaction score
Negative:
  1. 13.7 mpg. Thought it would be at least 17; I do a lot of highway driving. At least I’m no longer paying for supreme gas.

1. that will improve with age. Many see a bump at 2,000 and 5,000 miles.
2. isn't there a setting for that? probably not, but it's a good thing anyway
3. Can't you do the keep feet on it to keep it down thing? Why you need this anyway?
4. that's a neat idea. Pssssst RAM...
5. Shoulda got the auto park feature :)

BLAM

Reaction score
I’m not absolutely sure about the 2019’s and up but in my 2016 Rebel you can turn off the aero mode in the settings on the infotainment system .

I turned the Aero mode off but it still goes down to normal height and wont't tay on Offroad 2 height.

BLAM

Reaction score
1. that will improve with age. Many see a bump at 2,000 and 5,000 miles.
2. isn't there a setting for that? probably not, but it's a good thing anyway
3. Can't you do the keep feet on it to keep it down thing? Why you need this anyway?
4. that's a neat idea. Pssssst RAM...
5. Shoulda got the auto park feature :)

4. Auto folding mirror is not my idea. It's on every car I've had in the past.
5. I do have auto park. I haven't tried it on the Ram but have on my BMW. I am extremely peculiar when it comes to parking so I prefer to do it myself unless it is parrallel parking.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Good post ... Thanks for positive vibe. I've been impressed with the Ram, as a lifelong GM guy even. But the biggest pleasant surprise for me has been how much my wife likes the truck. She's not a truck person, but it's become our family vehicle ... Over her Yukon Denali even. Cool by me! Unless we need more than 5 seats for whatever journey, we're in the truck now.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Glad to hear that. I'm a big guy and have a couple of long drives ahead. Hope my experience is the same. I do know my F150s were VERY comfortable on long drives.
During test drives I noticed the seats in the Longhorn were softer (more comfortable) than the Limited. Can't wait to get my truck.

Donaldo

Reaction score
First time poster. Purchased a 2020 black Limited fully loaded with black appearance on 8th Feb. Already made so many mods. Leveling and hard bed cover this weekend; may also hardwire the radar if I have time.

Positives:
  1. So many cup holders.
  2. Adaptive cruise control, my 2019 highly optioned BMW X5 doesn’t have this.
  3. Storage/cooler under the rear floor mat.
  4. Comfiest reclining rear seats ever.
  5. Back electric sliding window- my first truck ever.
  6. How much I love this truck after +25 years of driving sports and luxury cars. It is sexy as hell. I’m so much chiller now - drive 5 mph under the speed limit instead of 10 mph over. This may be the first car I might keep more than 2 years.

Negative:

I too am 1st time pickup owner. My last daily driver was 750i which I performed some heavy coding for dozens of non-standard features.

I am wondering if it is possible to get the FCA software and OBC cable and code the Ram to change items like auto fold mirrors when locking; timing of auto steps; video in motion; window operation with key fob, Japanese hard breaking, etc.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too am 1st time pickup owner. My last daily driver was 750i which I performed some heavy coding for dozens of non-standard features.

I am wondering if it is possible to get the FCA software and OBC cable and code the Ram to change items like auto fold mirrors when locking; timing of auto steps; video in motion; window operation with key fob, Japanese hard breaking, etc.

Check any of the threads on Tazer DT

Users who are viewing this thread