5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Placement of A/C drain

jvclements

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just picked up my new 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie this past weekend and thought I would join the forum. Does anyone else think the placement of the A/C drain is poor. If you can see in the pictures it drips directly on the frame and in between the plate and the firewall. My concern is that it will cause problems "corrosion" over time. Should I re-route and if so, how? The service guy at the dealership didn't seem concerned and even pulled up his truck to show me it was exactly the same.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the frame should have some reasonable corrosion resistance but I agree that leaving it purposely wet all the time isn't helpful for preventing rust.

Still, that's better than the setup we had in the Titan. The AC drain nubs from the factory didn't have enough slope on it and the water would back up into the box and soak the passenger floor. There was a factory fix for it but most of us just got a couple of copper fittings and some tubing and did it ourselves for cheap. Like all vehicles eventually there will be user-generated fixes for flaws in the design or performance.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're working on this over in one of the AC threads. Another user added some tubing to remedy this and I may do the same.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The heat from that cat will evaporate the water off real quick . I wouldn’t be concerned in the slightest especially it’s condensation not winter road salt pickle juice stuff.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean it isn't supposed to fill up the hole in the frame and drain out waaaaay in the rear?
j/k

Welcome to the forums, btw, jvclements
Funny thing is I've wondered this a couple of times, why I was seeing AC condensation running out the back of my truck! I've been too busy to check out the placement of the drain but that makes perfect sense now.

I think it's probably largely harmless, but since I'm a guy who doesn't see the point of getting iron wet and inducing any kind of extra rust, I will probably come up with my own homemade fix that will right-angle that bad boy straight to the ground. When I do, I'll post some pictures up here.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
or ....

since it does like to 'steam' ..
throw a basket down there while driving and steam some veggies :)

.. don't mind the other flavours or crunchy stuffs .. it's OK !

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Having the frame a bit wet doesn’t personally concern me. It isnt a lot of water and not road salt as stated above. It’s also in an area where gravity and heat should dissipate bit fairly quickly.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

jvclements

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Having the frame a bit wet doesn’t personally concern me. It isnt a lot of water and not road salt as stated above. It’s also in an area where gravity and heat should dissipate bit fairly quickly.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
Thank you for this... this will ease the pain on my Line-X bedliner, window tint and tri-fold cover!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can always put a rubber plug in that hole, too
A plug would be a major mistake. The condensation needs to drain out of the truck. I would also be careful about affixing any permanent 90 degree tubing since you may at some point need to clean out the tubing and the angle may prevent it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A plug would be a major mistake. The condensation needs to drain out of the truck. I would also be careful about affixing any permanent 90 degree tubing since you may at some point need to clean out the tubing and the angle may prevent it.
I think if done like we used to do it on the Titan it should both send the condensation straight to the ground and be removable. Most guys over there (including me) used a street 3/8" copper elbow with some clear tubing pressed onto the end. The street elbow just pressed on to the factory hose and was completely removable. It had to be done on the Titan because they made the drain hose too short and if you were parked uphill the condensate would drain back into the box and through the firewall and leak on the passenger floor. There was a factory fix (essentially the same thing with clamps) but it wasn't a recall and you had to pay, so most guys just did it this way. Mine never leaked again nor drained onto the floor again after the fix.

jvclements

Reaction score
Thank you for this... this will ease the pain on my Line-X bedliner, window tint and tri-fold cover!
I completed the application. I saw in the fine print the vehicle must have less than 1k miles but mine was a demo with 4K. I did get an email stating it passed bonus drive authorization and has been sent to the manufacturer. Fingers crossed. The vehicle was considered new and was never titled.

jhalpinjr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just picked up my new 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie this past weekend and thought I would join the forum. Does anyone else think the placement of the A/C drain is poor. If you can see in the pictures it drips directly on the frame and in between the plate and the firewall. My concern is that it will cause problems "corrosion" over time. Should I re-route and if so, how? The service guy at the dealership didn't seem concerned and even pulled up his truck to show me it was exactly the same.

View attachment 31167

View attachment 31168

View attachment 31169
Guys is everyone 100% sure that is the condensate drain for the AC? My truck absolutely REEKS with smelly sock smell when the AC is running. Its so bad. I have 12K miles on it. But no matter how hard I try I cannot get that condensate drain to show any sign of water.
I live in El Paso TX- Its Dry here almost zero humidity. What the best way to get the AC to produce condensate? Max (recirculate Ac) or Fresh air? even putting a tissue in the tube shows no sign of moisture. Rug is dry, cant find water the cab.

As a note my drive way has a slight incline. I always pull in with front elevated, typically running on Max AC. Could the sleight angle keep the vehicle from "draining" through the tube? Also note I backed it in and ran the AC- still no water draining.

Thoughts?

Thanks- Jim

U

User_3336

Are you turning your a/c off right before you turn off the engine and get out? If so, you aren't allowing all of that to dry out. so you have condensation forming making that foul smell.

If you turn off the a/c and let the blower dry out that area a little, you will not experience that smell.
I turn my a/c off about a mile before I am ready to get out and turn the vehicle off, and let the blower dry out the condensor. I've always done this, and my a/c never has any weird smell.

if you have never done this, and with 12,000 miles, not sure how you get rid of the smell.

Guys is everyone 100% sure that is the condensate drain for the AC? My truck absolutely REEKS with smelly sock smell when the AC is running. Its so bad. I have 12K miles on it. But no matter how hard I try I cannot get that condensate drain to show any sign of water.

Thanks- Jim

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in El Paso TX- Its Dry here almost zero humidity. What the best way to get the AC to produce condensate? Max (recirculate Ac) or Fresh air? even putting a tissue in the tube shows no sign of moisture. Rug is dry, cant find water the cab.

As a note my drive way has a slight incline. I always pull in with front elevated, typically running on Max AC. Could the sleight angle keep the vehicle from "draining" through the tube? Also note I backed it in and ran the AC- still no water draining.

Thoughts?

Thanks- Jim
Well I don't know for sure if that's the drain but it seems likely.

Park in a level spot and run your AC on high, not on recirculate, on a humid day. In short order you will see water dripping from the bottom of the truck. If you don't, there's something wrong with your drain.

Generally heater boxes are not watertight; they have a low spot to collect condensate and let it drop out of the box by gravity. If it doesn't drain, eventually the box will fill high enough that water will start leaking into your cab on the passenger side floor.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the frame should have some reasonable corrosion resistance but I agree that leaving it purposely wet all the time isn't helpful for preventing rust.

Still, that's better than the setup we had in the Titan. The AC drain nubs from the factory didn't have enough slope on it and the water would back up into the box and soak the passenger floor. There was a factory fix for it but most of us just got a couple of copper fittings and some tubing and did it ourselves for cheap. Like all vehicles eventually there will be user-generated fixes for flaws in the design or performance.
Based on what I've seen over the years, Ram 1500 frames seem far more impervious to rust that any other truck. Both of my untreated 4th gens still had all the frame paint with the exception of the weld beads where brackets are welded.

My neighbors 2018 Silverado frame looks like it's already four years old.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033077 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread