5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Placement of A/C drain

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have started to get that musty smell at 13k miles. Cabin fillter was replaced out like 6k miles ago, I don't think it's that. I havn't been seeing any draining condensation from AC drain plug so I checked that, blew air through and also took a clothes hanger to check and it's not clogged. Next step will be cleaning coils. Anyone have tips on cleaning the coils in the 5th gen?

Tazithman

Reaction score
I discovered this drain issue while installing tow hooks. While unbolting the passenger side frame bolt underneath truck, a decent amount of water came out of the bolt hole. Kind of odd to have it weep there with no hole for it to drain

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have started to get that musty smell at 13k miles. Cabin fillter was replaced out like 6k miles ago, I don't think it's that. I havn't been seeing any draining condensation from AC drain plug so I checked that, blew air through and also took a clothes hanger to check and it's not clogged. Next step will be cleaning coils. Anyone have tips on cleaning the coils in the 5th gen?
There are commercial products available in the form of an aerosol sprays used to remove mold from auto AC systems. I would think some auto stores would have it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034413 miles.

Reactions: Jtr

MilehighRam

Reaction score
There are commercial products available in the form of an aerosol sprays used to remove mold from auto AC systems. I would think some auto stores would have it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034413 miles.
How is this done?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I'd say let the dealer "deal" with this, but if you want to do it yourself, here you go:

Cheers,

Attachments

• 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning:Standard Procedure STANDARD PROCEDURE - A:C EVAPORATOR CLEA...pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 23 - Body:Exterior:COVER, Cowl Panel:Removal and Installation REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION.pdf
    224.5 KB · Views: 87

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I discovered this drain issue while installing tow hooks. While unbolting the passenger side frame bolt underneath truck, a decent amount of water came out of the bolt hole. Kind of odd to have it weep there with no hole for it to drain
I ran into this issue when I removed my tow hooks to paint them. For about 10 seconds I was wondering where all the water was coming from when I removed the passenger side bolts LOL.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is this done?
I looked at the service manual procedure that Nerubit sent out and it's probably the most efficient I could imagine for eliminating the problem.

My only personal experience with this problem was with a friends Pontiac a few years ago. On hers the musty odor was really bad. She took it to a local national tire shop repair center and they used a few cans of aerosol mold killer sprayed directly into the windscreen while the AC fan was running and all of the windows were open (I watched them).

At the time it seemed to reduce the odor, however within a month or so it came back with a vengeance.

The one described in the Ram service manual looks like it's much more effective.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034688 miles.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The lazy way to get rid of the smell is to crank the heat and fan, turning the duct work into a desert. The funk that grows loves cool wet conditions, repeated doses of hot dry air will eventually kill it

Dako

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 in late 2018. Early on the AC had a musty odor. I usually ran AC on outside air and even turned AC off the last couple miles before parking. Odor was still there. Have had it repaired 2-times by dealer. First repair didn't do much. Second time better, but now about 2000-miles later smelled sour again. I never see any condensate water dripping out. Even when in San Diego with high humidity. If odor gets worse I'll take it back again. Pretty disappointing for a 2019 vehicle.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 in late 2018. Early on the AC had a musty odor. I usually ran AC on outside air and even turned AC off the last couple miles before parking. Odor was still there. Have had it repaired 2-times by dealer. First repair didn't do much. Second time better, but now about 2000-miles later smelled sour again. I never see any condensate water dripping out. Even when in San Diego with high humidity. If odor gets worse I'll take it back again. Pretty disappointing for a 2019 vehicle.
Use to live in San Diego.

You don't state whether the service technician noted the musty odor, what was performed on the two repairs, or, if you mentioned you've never seen any condensate coming out of the drain tube. But I would think that service personnel with even minimal brainwave activity should know what to look for in this situation.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041341 miles.

Hemiguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just picked up my new 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie this past weekend and thought I would join the forum. Does anyone else think the placement of the A/C drain is poor. If you can see in the pictures it drips directly on the frame and in between the plate and the firewall. My concern is that it will cause problems "corrosion" over time. Should I re-route and if so, how? The service guy at the dealership didn't seem concerned and even pulled up his truck to show me it was exactly the same.

View attachment 31167

View attachment 31168

View attachment 31169
What bothers me more is hearing it when the water hits the hot frame I thought there was a bird stuck under the hood trying to fly out or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online