5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pennsylvania Weight Class Sticker

madfarmer912

Reaction score
Anyone from PA get a weight class 3 sticker? I’ve had two 1500’s prior to this (05 and 11) and both were weight class 2. While I’m not 100% sure about this, I thought the 19’s were supposed to be lighter so how’s it a whole other weight class?
Weigh class sticker is based on the GCWR, the maximum weight the truck can haul and tow, not the GVWR.
Those specs all depend on motor and axle ratio combinations.
My one ton is a gas with 3.73 gears and a GCWR of 16000 which is a class 6 but the same truck with a diesel and 4.10 is over 22000 which is a class 8.
It should be posted next to the inspection and or emission stickers.
I probably doesn't matter much to display it unless your towing a camper or larger trailers.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Weigh class sticker is based on the GCWR, the maximum weight the truck can haul and tow, not the GVWR.
My one ton is a gas with 3.73 gears and a GCWR of 16000 which is a class 6 but the same truck with a diesel and 4.10 is over 22000 which is a class 8.
I probably doesn't matter much to display it unless your towing a camper or larger trailers.
Yes, I am glad you posted this. I was going to revisit this as the discussion has come up again and I have noticed more trucks with class 7 stickers.

It is odd that when you buy a truck...which I just did...the dealers only ask "You want a class 2 or 3?"

I was wrongly under the impression that it was only your GVWR...but it is your combination.

Which means I am under registered.

Oh man the things we have to jump through to enjoy our weekends.

Thanks @madfarmer912 .

d_THRILL

Reaction score

Yes, I am glad you posted this. I was going to revisit this as the discussion has come up again and I have noticed more trucks with class 7 stickers.

It is odd that when you buy a truck...which I just did...the dealers only ask "You want a class 2 or 3?"

I was wrongly under the impression that it was only your GVWR...but it is your combination.

Which means I am under registered.

Oh man the things we have to jump through to enjoy our weekends.

Thanks @madfarmer912 .

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but I just got my registration renewal paperwork in the mail and it made me miss paying Passenger Vehicle registration fees on my previous vehicle. So the price to register a Class 2 vehicle is $86.00 per year versus $164 for Class 3. Both a significant increase over the $37 I was paying for my SUV before coming into the truck world, but that's not why I'm bringing this post back to life. I am seeking clarity on the different Class issues as mentioned by @madfarmer912 and then affirmed by @devildodge above, that being GCWR versus GVWR. I, too, was registered as Class 2 by the dealer when purchasing my truck. The sticker also sits in my mailbox. But as I'm renewing, I wonder if I need to be Class 3. According to the attached PennDOT Schedule of Fees for registration, the weight is determined by "Registered Gross Weight in Lbs." which I take to mean GVWR, not GCWR. Take a look and let me know what you think. I understand that we can get away with a Class 2 sticker as the likelihood of getting stopped and weighed is minimal (unless overloaded or towing as mentioned above), but if our vehicle's gross weight is calculated at 7,100 lbs. and we match that up with "Registered Gross Weight in Lbs." per the attached PennDOT sheet, we are technically Class 3, right?

Attachments

• BUREAU OF MOTOR VEHICLES - SCHEDULE OF FEES.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 2

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if the sticker is on the window i believe you pay higher tolls too. Mine will stay parked in the glove box for life!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is just as touchy as the payload capacity itself.

Plenty of opinions...not many answers. After reading some more on the subject, it seems even the governing bodies loosely interpret everything.

My opinion is, it refers to GCWR.

I say this as a co worker who races and hauls his car, got pulled over and fined. On his truck before the fine was a Class 4A (RAM 3500) and after the fine he displays a Class 7.

Since when contacted the officials will not give a straight answer...my plan is to Run the Class 3 until I am so told not to.

Yes, I believe that registering the truck for a Class, that, at least with you in the truck, is above that weight...which would be class 2 for a 1500.

I also believe that at 7100 GVWR...a Class 3 may be required.

This is my decision to do this, based on that I have done it this way for the past 25 years and I just bought my truck and no one said oh my you have to do this now.

This is another opinion question...just like can I load 4000lbs in my truck...gonna do it anyway.

Hope someone can for sure explain this, but the consensus is still gonna be...just put it in your glove box.

Captain Dave

Reaction score
After getting wrong information from the dealer and stuck with the class 3...I went to the experts (my local AAA) and dropped it 100 lbs to class 2 (7,000).
No more surprises at the toll booths...It is a Rebel with e-torque and the door sticker seems to be 500 lbs less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online