5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pennsylvania Weight Class Sticker

The_Chemist

Reaction score
So, pardon my ignorance here..... Is anyone on this forum from Pennsylvania?

I just received my PA registration slip and truck weight class sticker from Freedom Auto Group where I ordered my Longhorn.

I thought the registration slip would have come from Penn DOT.

Anyway, I never owned a truck before. I don't know where I am supposed to place the weight class sticker. Duh....

The instructions on the back of the sticker show it being placed on the windshield next to the PA state inspection sticker. Okay, easy enough, but there is an emissions inspection sticker already there next to the PA state inspection sticker.

Is there supposed to be 3 stickers in a row across the windshield? PA state inspection, emissions, then truck weight class?

I have never seen one on a truck, so I'm unsure. I don't want to put it in the wrong place. I Googled for an image, but found none.

I'd appreciate some guidance. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Thanks

Barry

Reaction score
Dude, I am not 100% sure it’s a requirement. I have had friends just leave it in glove box and never used them. I had a f150 prior to my new ram and yes I put three stickers in a row. Hope that helps.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From Pa. I’ve been driving trucks for 30 years and the best place I’ve found for it is in the glove box. I’ve never been questioned about it.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Dude, I am not 100% sure it’s a requirement. I have had friends just leave it in glove box and never used them. I had a f150 prior to my new ram and yes I put three stickers in a row. Hope that helps.
Cool. Glove box it is. 3 in a row would look like a mess
From Pa. I’ve been driving trucks for 30 years and the best place I’ve found for it is in the glove box. I’ve never been questioned about it.
Glove box it is. Who the heck ever thought up that nonsense anyway. Only PA....

crazygreek89

Reaction score
Anyone from PA get a weight class 3 sticker? I’ve had two 1500’s prior to this (05 and 11) and both were weight class 2. While I’m not 100% sure about this, I thought the 19’s were supposed to be lighter so how’s it a whole other weight class?

geotex1

Reaction score
Anyone from PA get a weight class 3 sticker? I’ve had two 1500’s prior to this (05 and 11) and both were weight class 2. While I’m not 100% sure about this, I thought the 19’s were supposed to be lighter so how’s it a whole other weight class?

Sounds like a mis-stated weight during registration. If dealer did your paperwork, have them correct it on their dime.

I agree with others, the sticker lives in the glovebox.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your class sticker goes by GVWR.

The 2019 is lighter but has a higher GVWR than 4th Gen

PA class 2 goes to 7000 GVWR

The truck is 7100 GVWR.

So a class 3 sticker is needed.

So if the other posters have been registered class 2 and if you don't display the sticker and just happen on the scales...you will have an issue.

But you may never even seethe scales.

So yes the 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 inthe state of Pennsylvania should have a class 3 sticker.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It may actually be correct. Because it’s GVWR being 7100, it gets pushed into the next class. My dealer had me sign a waiver that I won’t load that last extra 100lbs, that qualified me to pay the lower class fees.

slimchance

Reaction score
i am also from PA and since i tow several different trailers, one at a time, i put the class 2 sticker beside the other 2 inspection stickers .. my friend has an inspection station and he says that is the best approach for when i get stopped or in an accident with the trailer attached ... i guess you could always just put your license plate in the glove box also

DeanKing

Reaction score
mine was mailed stapled to my registration. I didn't even know it was there until I read this thread. So I am a glovebox. This is my third truck in PA. never had a sticker before. Mine has a two on it. I didn't sign any waivers that i recall.

slimchance

Reaction score
have had a truck of one kind or another since 1974 ... this #2 sticker in PA used to be called the 3/4 ton sticker and ALL my Toyota Tundras plus my Dodge trucks have had these stickers, since i get HD towing packages on the trucks, mine was also stapled to the registration card but it was hard to sign the card and not see the sticker .. lite duty trucks do not get the #2 sticker and with the #2 sticker pay a higher license fee

geotex1

Reaction score
If you travel the toll roads and your daily driving isn't at load, you may feel differently.

Last edited:

crazygreek89

Reaction score
Now I’m confused because others from PA have a Class 2 sticker but a few folks on here said the Class 3 is expected because of the weight gross weight capacity increase. So which one is it? I’m thinking the feeler has made a mistake and I need to have them correct it.

Btw - my last 2 1500s both had the Class 2 sticker and like others, I’d keep it in the glove box in case anyone ever asked.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your last 2 1500s...4th Gen if Ram I am assuming...would have only required a class 2.

The new 5th Gen 1500 with 4wd would require a class 3.

That said, we have heard about a waiver and others who have been issued a class 2.

Before Pennsylvania lost the registration sticker...if you did not have it on your license plate...but it was registered up to date but the sticker was in your glove box...you would be pulled over and issued a fine for not displaying the sticker.

The one on the windshield would only come into play if you were pulled over for a load...either suspicious squatting of your truck or an actual weigh station or portable scales. If you were overweight you would get a fine for being overweight and if your sticker wasn't displayed a fine for that also.

The fine for being overweight used to be a minimum and 1dollar for every pound over. I do believe it has gone up...but not sure how much.

If you aren't going to be loading or towing with your truck...most likely will never have an issue.

Someone here has said they were turned away from getting a load of tile because of their rating. Not sure they were from PA but the person at the store can do this here also...rare...but can happen.

It sucks to have to pay the extra registration, but if you push your limits...you probably should.

I can not tell you what is right, but I did describe what could happen.

I camp with a travel trailer all spring summer and fall. I have seen the portable scales having this setup pulled over. So the chance is yours to take.

You know what your plans are for the truck and you can make your own decision...good luck with whichever you choose.

crazygreek89

Reaction score
Your last 2 1500s...4th Gen if Ram I am assuming...would have only required a class 2.

The new 5th Gen 1500 with 4wd would require a class 3.

That said, we have heard about a waiver and others who have been issued a class 2.

Before Pennsylvania lost the registration sticker...if you did not have it on your license plate...but it was registered up to date but the sticker was in your glove box...you would be pulled over and issued a fine for not displaying the sticker.

The one on the windshield would only come into play if you were pulled over for a load...either suspicious squatting of your truck or an actual weigh station or portable scales. If you were overweight you would get a fine for being overweight and if your sticker wasn't displayed a fine for that also.

The fine for being overweight used to be a minimum and 1dollar for every pound over. I do believe it has gone up...but not sure how much.

If you aren't going to be loading or towing with your truck...most likely will never have an issue.

Someone here has said they were turned away from getting a load of tile because of their rating. Not sure they were from PA but the person at the store can do this here also...rare...but can happen.

It sucks to have to pay the extra registration, but if you push your limits...you probably should.

I can not tell you what is right, but I did describe what could happen.

I camp with a travel trailer all spring summer and fall. I have seen the portable scales having this setup pulled over. So the chance is yours to take.

You know what your plans are for the truck and you can make your own decision...good luck with whichever you choose.

Thanks is a detailed explanation, and I really appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread