5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedal Commander vs. Pulsar

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey you wouldn't be near Pensacola/Ft. Walton Beach? Just asking since I saw your profile said north Florida. So what mods would you recommend and/or tuner? I have heard good stuff regarding HemiFever who uses the I3 unlocked PCM platform for his tunes.
I am in the Jacksonville area my friend. Happy to discuss mods if you want to PM me and we can connect via phone.

Tazithman

Reaction score
Typically all tuners allow the option to return to stock so why buy another ECM??? Just return to stock before going to the dealer. Still far easier than dealing with a Pulsar!
you still have to pay to get your current ecm unlocked, not that much more just to buy their unlocked version in the bundle and have a spare

YellowSled

Reaction score
I was considering going with the PC, but I also dont need the BT. If i need to change the setting, the controller will be right there so i can touch the unit. The Vitesse is 1/2 the cost and has excellent reviews. If the PC was close to that price, Like ($150-180) I would go with that but right now im leaning toward the Vitesse

Medgas24

Reaction score
I have the pulsar and it’s been hell the manufacturers have been working with me because the one I got threw codes they hadn’t seen before I asked the other day what exactly does eco mode do and one of the engineers said “Ok good. So the eco mode just softens the throttle sensitivity to help mpg. You have to put your foot further into the peddle to accelerate “ so in my mind it’s like a pedal commander. But this new one they have given me hasn’t had any issues I’m on my 3rd one lol

Tiggerspr96

Reaction score
UPDATE: The folks at Diablosport.com really worked with me and made things right! There was no hassle and I was upgraded to the I3 tuner / unlocked PCM kit where I was able to keep my original stock PCM. So, with new unlocked PCM installed and tuned with the handheld I3 tuner, my RAM is even more of a beast. The concept/idea of the Pulsar was great when it worked. Changing tunes/modes on the fly like the sport pages \ options found in the Charger\Challenger \Durango was a cool idea. But having gone through two Pulsar units throwing codes was jarring at best. I do hope Diablosport can get the bugs worked out with inline tuning, but unlocked PCM swap is just where's it is at. This level of tuning truly takes the RAM to the next level and the canned Diablo tune is quick to install and does what the performance mode of Pulsar did and more. You can remove the speed limiter and configure tire size, gear ratio, and more.....

The I3 / PCM kit is the way to go right now. It's relatively simple, about 30-35 minutes inclusive on physical installation and uploading the tune. And best of all, no codes after installing the tune and all Uconnect, safety features, and other functions (backup camera) all working no codes or check engine light!!!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The folks at Diablosport.com really worked with me and made things right! There was no hassle and I was upgraded to the I3 tuner / unlocked PCM kit where I was able to keep my original stock PCM. So, with new unlocked PCM installed and tuned with the handheld I3 tuner, my RAM is even more of a beast. The concept/idea of the Pulsar was great when it worked. Changing tunes/modes on the fly like the sport pages \ options found in the Charger\Challenger \Durango was a cool idea. But having gone through two Pulsar units throwing codes was jarring at best. I do hope Diablosport can get the bugs worked out with inline tuning, but unlocked PCM swap is just where's it is at. This level of tuning truly takes the RAM to the next level and the canned Diablo tune is quick to install and does what the performance mode of Pulsar did and more. You can remove the speed limiter and configure tire size, gear ratio, and more.....

The I3 / PCM kit is the way to go right now. It's relatively simple, about 30-35 minutes inclusive on physical installation and uploading the tune. And best of all, no codes after installing the tune and all Uconnect, safety features, and other functions (backup camera) all working no codes or check engine light!!!
Let's see how you feel after 30 days ;)

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As @danny1305 stated above...apples and oranges as they both do totally different things. I have the PC myself and LOVE it and highly recommend. The Pulsar does have issues and it's not just grounding and must be removed before going to the dealer where the PC does not. Driving with the PC makes me feel like I have a Pulsar as the get up and go is amazing and throttle lag is 100% eliminated!!!

@securityguy do you have a model Number or link to yours? I have the exact same truck as you.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
@securityguy do you have a model Number or link to yours? I have the exact same truck as you.
Here you go:

mrclarkinc

Reaction score
Read a number of reviews stating the PC threw the codes. Anyone have issues w/ that? Are there different brands to choose from?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Read a number of reviews stating the PC threw the codes. Anyone have issues w/ that? Are there different brands to choose from?
I have had my PC now for about a year and ZERO issues. Sprint is also a good brand, but you can always get one that creates issues. Nothing at all wrong with PC and I highly recommend it. I, personally, like it much better than the Sprint Booster.

Tiggerspr96

Reaction score
Let's see how you feel after 30 days ;)
Thirty Plus Days and the I3 and the unlocked PCM has worked flawlessly. The I3 gives you the functionality of the pedal commander by giving you the option to increase throttle response from 5%-20% above stock, turn off MDS, remove speed governor/limiter (increased mine from 104 to 150mph....I got up to 115 mph on a stretch of hwy and backed off due to traffic, but the beast wanted to keep pulling) and many more adjustable parameters.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my PC on Sport +, +4 (Maxed out) and it threw a code and the accelerator was giving it fuel on its own. I had to stand on the brakes to get it stopped. Pulled over, killed the truck, pulled out my OBDLink MX+BT and cleared the code, set the PC to City +4, and haven't had an issue since. About 6-8 months of use every day.

Reaction score
Only have experience with the Pedal Commander, still using. No issues, truck runs great and the response difference is amazing. I was getting 18-19 mpg before using it. I run mostly eco mode, so I saw slight improvement to 19-20. But... i did swap out wheels/tires afterward, so now i'm seeing about 17 mpg in eco mode.

Don't ask about any other mode... those get me 13 mpg lol but it's a fast 13

Sibian

Reaction score
Just installed my Pedal Commander and wow what a huge difference. install took 5 min and bluetooth sync was flawless.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Installed the PC at 2k miles. Just nearing 20k miles as of yesterday when I experienced my first issue.

Driving southbound on I-5 South through the Grapevine in CA at around 80 mph, my dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree, got the "service throttle control" warning and all my lights started blinking. The cruise control went out. The check engine light came one.

Luckily, I was coasting down the several-mile stretch of freeway. The engine was still running, but when I pressed the gas pedal to the floor NOTHING happened. Brakes still functioned and the 12-inch screen was working properly.

After a few miles, I came to an exit with services in Castaic and stoped in a Mobil parking lot. I turned off the truck, waited about 30 seconds, and then started it. Everything came back, except the check engine light was lit. I put the truck into drive, pushed the pedal and the truck acted normally.

When I got back to L.A., I disconnected the negative battery terminal, uninstalled the PC, reconnected the stock pedal connection, reconnected the negative battery terminal and started the truck. No check engine light.

I then went through the process of re-installing the PC and, bingo, no check engine light.

I have driven several miles today and all is normal.

Bataram

Reaction score
Have the Pedal Commander and it woke my 2020 Rebel up. I also added Moe's 87mm throttle body and wow!!!!
The eco mode added about 1.5 MPG overall but when you put it in the sport mode plus its super sensitive and the truck hauls *** and yeah don't look at your MPG then.

Users who are viewing this thread