5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***PEDAL COMMANDER UPDATE***

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You'll be fine. You do not get a hyper-sensitive throttle when in reverse regardless. I had one, and several others have too, they are fine units, but do not have the reverse capability the advertise on the RAM yet. Try it out...I think you'll like it and, if you don't, send it back.
I started the install and the way that OBD plug is oriented is just about enough for me to send this thing back. That lack of attention to detail is unacceptable for my OCD. 🤣

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I started the install and the way that OBD plug is oriented is just about enough for me to send this thing back. That lack of attention to detail is unacceptable for my OCD. 🤣
I just reversed the OBD connector on the truck. The cable they provide is a stock cable that fits all of their vehicles. I do agree they should offer a reverse of what comes with the kit. At the end of the day, I liked the Pedal Commander better between the two.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
This was the video that stopped me from freaking out. I couldn't disconnect the factory throttle controller. I had no idea it locks and unlocks by pulling or pushing the colored side to unlock or lock. Anyone who gets frustrated quickly will appreciate this easy to understand instruction. I made my install thanks to this video. I use my Pedal Commander on City +4. From a stop it allows you to really "split" . I haven't tried any of the sport settings so far. I love the unit. I haven't had any codes at all. Just remember never to make any changes to your pedal Commander while the vehicle is in motion. The safest way is to make your changes while still in park.
I HOPE THIS VIDEO WILL HELP SOMEONE WITH THEIR INSTALL.

ELUSIVE10 WILL SAVE YOU $30.00

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just reversed the OBD connector on the truck. The cable they provide is a stock cable that fits all of their vehicles. I do agree they should offer a reverse of what comes with the kit. At the end of the day, I liked the Pedal Commander better between the two.
I just got off the phone with Banks Tech Support and he said they have had success with the reverse safety mode by selecting the 3.0 EcoDiesel. I told him that has been tried but I was mistaken. It appears that Banks was suggesting the Cummins 2500 without success. I'll try the EcoDiesel setting tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Banks Tech Support and he said they have had success with the reverse safety mode by selecting the 3.0 EcoDiesel. I told him that has been tried but I was mistaken. It appears that the they were suggesting the Cummins 2500 without success. I'll try the EcoDiesel setting tomorrow and see what happens.
Been there...done that...didn't work!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe your firmware version on your Banks is different. Try it and see what happens. Would be great if it worked, but I will add that if it doesn't, I still had zero issues with my Banks and never a worry about over accelerating while in reverse.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
Maybe your firmware version on your Banks is different. Try it and see what happens. Would be great if it worked, but I will add that if it doesn't, I still had zero issues with my Banks and never a worry about over accelerating while in reverse.

So far I’ve not had any issues with mine and the flexibility is very nice. Really let’s you tap into you the power curve when you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Banks Tech Support and he said they have had success with the reverse safety mode by selecting the 3.0 EcoDiesel. I told him that has been tried but I was mistaken. It appears that Banks was suggesting the Cummins 2500 without success. I'll try the EcoDiesel setting tomorrow and see what happens.
I have has two conversations with Banks. They lied to me twice. My unit was shipped back the same day, NO REVERSE. They told me on the tele it would work on my RAM. It didn't work! They need to correct all the Bull Sh@! on YouTube. I watched all I could find and they just keep repeating half truths. I won't buy anything from them. They lost my trust. I won't be their sucker.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Sorry, I just saw this post. My firmware version is 61320-05-10. What is yours?

AevJk1day

Reaction score

Mine feels “normal” in reverse. I’ve not noticed anything while using it in reverse. I’m not happy with what I am hearing about Banks and it’s disappointing. That being said, God willing, my purchase has been awesome so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackpot50

Reaction score
So, at lunch today, I took the time to remove my Pedal Commander (took 2 minutes) to install my Banks Pedal Monster (BPM) in over 30+ minutes based on a two piece design and the extreme cable lengths they provide. In addition, you really have to remove the knee panel under the steering column to tie up and hide your wires behind the dash properly. My thoughts on the Banks, now that it's installed and has been driven for testing, is as follows:

1. Do NOT like, at all, the OBD interface. The way the cable comes out of the OBD connector, it protrudes into the cabin area since it is rear facing. They should redesign the connection for those OBD ports that face front to back like our RAM versus side to side:oops:
2. WAY too much cable comes with the unit and trying to find a place to coil it up and wire tie it in place was a royal PITA:(
3. Finished the install and set all of the parameters in the BPM app only to find that my REVERSE SAFETY feature is "Not Available":mad:
4. Called Banks Tech Support and waited over 2 hours for a return call that "kept my original place in queue":sleep:
5. Got the return call and questioned the Reverse Safety indication on my app.
6. Was told that they had not yet tested the RAM 1500 with this feature and that I could select, as @silver billet stated in post #61, the RAM 2500 Diesel 2018+
7. I asked if it may have any other adverse reactions by selecting a 2500 Cummins Diesel versus "STANDARD" for my RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI. The response was "I don't think so, but we haven't had a 1500 HEMI in our shop to test and modify our software...but it works great on the 2500 Cummins"
8. Thought, OK, I'll set my BPM up as if I am driving a 2500 Cummins, as they suggested, and see what happens. Still get the message that Reverse Safety is "Not Available"
9. I also inquired about the TRIM feature. Was told there are 5 TRIM levels, each kick in at around 10mph increments. Therefore, if you activate TRIM position #1, the BPM will not kick in until you hit 10mph. Level 5 is 50mph. @silver billet, if you have TRIM set to MAX, then your BPM doesn't really do anything at all until you hit or exceed 50mph:unsure:
10. I bought the unit so that I get the max pedal control off the line, not to wait until I hit 10-20-30-40-50mph to feel any difference! (trim can be set to zero which is where I have it now)
11. I have been running it at SPORT LEVEL 5 and that feels about the same to me as the Pedal Commander Sport +1
12. I will call Banks again tomorrow to discuss. However, with that being said, my first impression of the install and the functionality is not a positive one.

I was really hoping to like this thing, but not feeling the love as of now. More to come after I ping banks again tomorrow to discuss my findings further.

View attachment 86723 Take the OBD plug out of holder and tuck under dash, just a couple clips and it's hid,

BHansenSFD

Reaction score
2021 Ram have had the PC78 for over a year with no issues. Beginning of the week it went into limp mode and would not go over 1500 rpms. Checked and cleared the codes only to have the same thing happen about 24 hours later while on the highway. Much less pleasant experience. Truck immediately decelerated and was stuck at 1500 rpms, even without depressing the gas pedal, until the brake is depressed. Checked and same codes again. Uninstalled pedal commander and zero issues. Unplugged gas pedal while driving and no limp mode, vehicle continued to accelerate. Ensured all codes were clear, disconnected battery for 15 minutes, reconnected battery, ensured no codes, installed pedal commander and after approx 18 hours dash lit up and truck went into limp mode stuck at 1500 rpms. Cleared codes uninstalled PC and driving for 48 hours with no issues.

I have contacted PC. I just read this thread about the update and will perform the update when I get back home and can get the serial number off the unit. Just wanted to share my experience as it seems that there are a lot of variations and while PC has offered a detailed explanation (more than a lot of companies will offer), my experience was not what they shared.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
2021 Ram have had the PC78 for over a year with no issues. Beginning of the week it went into limp mode and would not go over 1500 rpms. Checked and cleared the codes only to have the same thing happen about 24 hours later while on the highway. Much less pleasant experience. Truck immediately decelerated and was stuck at 1500 rpms, even without depressing the gas pedal, until the brake is depressed. Checked and same codes again. Uninstalled pedal commander and zero issues. Unplugged gas pedal while driving and no limp mode, vehicle continued to accelerate. Ensured all codes were clear, disconnected battery for 15 minutes, reconnected battery, ensured no codes, installed pedal commander and after approx 18 hours dash lit up and truck went into limp mode stuck at 1500 rpms. Cleared codes uninstalled PC and driving for 48 hours with no issues.

I have contacted PC. I just read this thread about the update and will perform the update when I get back home and can get the serial number off the unit. Just wanted to share my experience as it seems that there are a lot of variations and while PC has offered a detailed explanation (more than a lot of companies will offer), my experience was not what they shared.
Mine did the exact same thing over a year ago. Took it off, sold it, and haven’t looked back. Not worth the hassle or safety issue at all in my personal opinion

Users who are viewing this thread