5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedal Commander Bites the Dust

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I once was riding my BMX bike down a steep hill and the brakes locked up on me after I tapped them and I went head first over the handle bars. After I brushed myself off with no major injuries I threw the bike in the dumpster and never got on one again. To this day I won't let my kids near a bike.......:cautious:
I see what you're trying to do, but that's a pretty dumb analogy lol

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I know it's only a couple of you (that we know of) with issues but that's enough to take this off my short list of mods.....I have kids myself . Thanks for shari
I once was riding my BMX bike down a steep hill and the brakes locked up on me after I tapped them and I went head first over the handle bars. After I brushed myself off with no major injuries I threw the bike in the dumpster and never got on one again. To this day I won't let my kids near a bike.......:cautious:
Wow just wow. I came on here to tell of something bad that happened to me and warn others of an unreliable product. You might feel differently if this had happened to you and you almost killed a whole family because of it. But then again, it sounds like perhaps you wouldn’t even care.
Mine isn’t the only one to ever fail. I don’t think they are reliable enough to go on a vehicle of mine ever again. I know there are lots of electrical parts on these trucks and any of them can fail. To me this is an unnecessary part that can cause a lot of problems when it fails. But I am sure you don’t care.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Banks Pedal Monster is supposed to be designed with a fail safe for this very reason, the device looks for anomalies and bypasses itself when it sees problems.

It also runs off the OBD2 port, which is a stable power source, not the 5v pedal sensor line which is NOT designed to power devices like this.

So there are better designed devices out there, at least in theory. I would never buy one of the others but I do run the pedal monster. The second I hear reports about uninteneded acceleration is the second it gets dropped in the bin.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm with ya my friend. I don't care what you buy...someone somewhere will have an issue with it. I've had mine for quite a while and I have no intentions on removing it. We're all big boys...do whatever makes you feel comfortable and safe. Anything electronic will fail eventually...some sooner than later. All of these electronics in our trucks, and any other vehicle you may buy, could create a safety issue. If I worried about everything that could happen, I'd never get out of bed each day.

Don't be so sure the device "failed". It could have just gotten a low voltage or something that through it for a temporary loop, but is otherwise still working as designed.

There are far too many reports of this device doing that. If you're wise you throw it out at this point instead of just saying "all **** brakes" because that's not what happened here; it didn't break, it's just not very well designed (obviously).

Kxlexus

Reaction score
The Banks Pedal Monster is supposed to be designed with a fail safe for this very reason, the device looks for anomalies and bypasses itself when it sees problems.

It also runs off the OBD2 port, which is a stable power source, not the 5v pedal sensor line which is NOT designed to power devices like this.

So there are better designed devices out there, at least in theory. I would never buy one of the others but I do run the pedal monster. The second I hear reports about uninteneded acceleration is the second it gets dropped in the bin.
The Banks product sounds like a viable alternative and something I may consider in the future. Banks has a reputation of making quality products

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow just wow. I came on here to tell of something bad that happened to me and warn others of an unreliable product. You might feel differently if this had happened to you and you almost killed a whole family because of it. But then again, it sounds like perhaps you wouldn’t even care.
Mine isn’t the only one to ever fail. I don’t think they are reliable enough to go on a vehicle of mine ever again. I know there are lots of electrical parts on these trucks and any of them can fail. To me this is an unnecessary part that can cause a lot of problems when it fails. But I am sure you don’t care.
Not sure why I got grouped in this reply, I was being serious and actually sympathizing with you 🤔.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't be so sure the device "failed". It could have just gotten a low voltage or something that through it for a temporary loop, but is otherwise still working as designed.

There are far too many reports of this device doing that. If you're wise you throw it out at this point instead of just saying "all **** brakes" because that's not what happened here; it didn't break, it's just not very well designed (obviously).
What proof do you have that is not well designed? Because the OP on the topic said he had a bad experience? I haven't seen "too many reports of this device doing that" at all. Most everyone that I've heard from on this forum loves it and raves about it. All **** does break and we have no idea why this happened and we may never know. The OP gave us all caution which would make anyone pause. However, we're all big boys and girls and can decide if we want to keep it or give to someone we don't like ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Banks product sounds like a viable alternative and something I may consider in the future. Banks has a reputation of making quality products
Nothing is fool proof. After your encounter, I'm shocked that you would even consider an alternative. You have no data to support what happened and why it happened and I don't expect you too. It would take a lot of effort and scientific testing to determine the actual root cause. In the end, as I have stated above, I am sorry this happened to you but that doesn't mean that all units of this type are bad or that the PC is not a well designed unit. Something happened here and, unfortunately, we will never know the reason why. Happy that you and your family are safe and that you feel the steps taken will prevent future issues.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I see what you're trying to do, but that's a pretty dumb analogy lol
Lol well it actually did happen to me when I was 14 and I broke my collar bone. Was back riding as soon as I was better. My point being that just about everything has an inherent risk that we do in our daily life. I think it was Prius that had accelerators that stuck and caused accidents. There have been instapots that have blown up and injured or killed people. I mean what about the Tikata airbag issues. I agree with @securityguy, "If I worried about everything that could happen, I'd never get out of bed each day."

Nothing against the OP and I didn't mean any disrespect, (all though I know and can see that's how it came off) because we all become bias about anything that didn't operate as intended whether it endangered ours or someone else's life. I just read it and didn't take his post as it was intended, which was just as a word of caution. The way things are in society right now with people just trying to put foam padding on the world so no one gets hurt physically or mentally I just kind of popped off a little.

My bad @Kxlexus didn't mean to dismiss your scary experience because you have a valid concern. Glad you and your family and the other drivers on the road came away without any harm.

silver billet

Reaction score
What proof do you have that is not well designed?
Because of multiple user reports saying it throws codes and gives unintended acceleration? Because it powers itself from an electrical source that has insufficient amps? What more do you want the thing to do before you agree it's a crappy product?

The product is not failing in the sense that something has broken. It's a circuit board so it should last for years just like all other electronic components in the truck. It's failing because it's buggy and/or getting insufficient power.

I have not been recording exact posts on this forum and the other one, but it's been at least 5 users that I've seen reporting this now. Just toss the thing in a bin, it's garbage man.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of multiple user reports saying it throws codes and gives unintended acceleration? Because it powers itself from an electrical source that has insufficient amps? What more do you want the thing to do before you agree it's a crappy product?

I have not been recording exact posts on this forum and the other one, but it's been at least 5 users that I've seen reporting this now. Just toss the thing in a bin, it's garbage man.

Ok so 5 users on here out of how many world wide that have this installed on their vehicle? This site is a small sample size of what they have sold in comparison. I had a Sprint Booster that did the same thing as the OP. It's electronics and computers, anything can happen anytime for no rhyme or reason.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Well the Pedal Monster from Banks just might be the ticket. Thanks for the info.

silver billet

Reaction score
Ok so 5 users on here out of how many world wide that have this installed on their vehicle? This site is a small sample size of what they have sold in comparison. I had a Sprint Booster that did the same thing as the OP. It's electronics and computers, anything can happen anytime for no rhyme or reason.

It's not necessarily a problem for other cars, specifically our trucks do not have enough amps to power an external device off the pedal sensor.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a problem for other cars, specifically our trucks do not have enough amps to power an external device off the pedal sensor.

Mine happened in my '17 Grand Cherokee. Maybe it's a FCA thing. I don't think it's just a Ram thing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

The product is not failing in the sense that something has broken. It's a circuit board so it should last for years just like all other electronic components in the truck. It's failing because it's buggy and/or getting insufficient power.

All conjecture and nothing based on fact. How do you know it has insufficient amps? You have NO IDEA! All speculation. If it was buggy, then we'd all experience the issues fairly consistently. All I'm saying is be very careful how you word things as nothing that you are stating is fact...just your opinion and pure speculation.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
EXACTLY THIS^^^

kevinvw

Reaction score

At 47 years old I still race BMX!

Users who are viewing this thread