5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pcm? Or electrical

Jeremy121

Reaction score
Hello all

I currently have my truck at the dealer shop for an issue with the pcm or electrical. The shop has put 6 hours of diagnostic into the truck and they still have no info for me.... about a week ago now I went out one morning to leave for work. Started my 19 ram 1500 5.7hemi. To be greeted with all of my gages lights and wipers going crazy. Where the mileage is on the dash it just said no buss and had 34 codes pertaining to other systems. The dealer finally got the issue to occur again but said there were 76 codes but no no buss on the dash. Has anyone had a similar issue? Or know of a great shop in the northeast that can handle it better then the dealers?

Thank you
Jeremy

Erikh

Reaction score
Hello all

I currently have my truck at the dealer shop for an issue with the pcm or electrical. The shop has put 6 hours of diagnostic into the truck and they still have no info for me.... about a week ago now I went out one morning to leave for work. Started my 19 ram 1500 5.7hemi. To be greeted with all of my gages lights and wipers going crazy. Where the mileage is on the dash it just said no buss and had 34 codes pertaining to other systems. The dealer finally got the issue to occur again but said there were 76 codes but no no buss on the dash. Has anyone had a similar issue? Or know of a great shop in the northeast that can handle it better then the dealers?

Thank you
Jeremy
Probably a bad battery

Erikh

Reaction score
You mean the main battery under the hood? If it's going bad it will cause problems like that?
Reading a lot on this forum and low battery or dying battery does all kind of goofy things in these trucks

Jeremy121

Reaction score
Okay when I take my truck back I'll test out the battery or maybe just replace it and see if that changes it. Thank you for your advice

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAMs and Mopars in general and known to do weird things when the battery is going bad. I would just replace it, I've had bad batteries test good before. When you do swap the battery, you will most likely be missing some features, that's normal too. It'll take a few hours for the truck to get its brains back together. :)

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably a bad battery
Is what I was thinking.
Okay when I take my truck back I'll test out the battery or maybe just replace it and see if that changes it. Thank you for your advice.
You’d think the service dept. woulda checked that during their 6 hours of diagnosis. Seems the easiest to eliminate right off the bat, then move on if that didn’t fix it.
If that is the issue, go get a new battery and find another service center to take it to.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Battery or loose ground. Could also be water in the BECM. Had windows tinted recently? any water on inside of winsheild? There's a pretty big thread about trucks doing similar who had tint strips or windshields tinted that bricked the trucks or threw every code in the boom if they got water down the dash.

Ducky5

Reaction score
Almost the exact same issue happened to my old 15 Laramie. I took it to a car wash, ran across the parking lot to Lowes to pick up some stuff. Upon leaving the parking lot the truck said something like "Don't shift out of D until safe" then the truck died, locked it self in Park, wipers going crazy, NO BUS message, Push in Clutch then hit Start, tons of random stuff. Had it towed to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it.

Needless to say after that situation I drove it to another dealer and traded it in on my 22 Limited since I no longer trusted the 15 to get me anywhere if it happened to rain.

My thoughts were some connector under the truck got wet and freaked out the CANBUS system but it certainly could've been something as simple as a bad battery. Battery in my truck was 3 years old I believe.

Jeremy121

Reaction score
Update: I took my truck back from the local dealer. Asked if they had tested the battery, they had not. Tested myself and does appear to have a bad cell or staring to. But when I picked it up from them now my upper console doesn't work- sliding rear window, lights, back seat light, garage door opener and visor lights don't work. Now I know they were working before I had dropped it off cause I had the rear window open when I drove it in. Does anyone know where I can find the connector to power these is located. Have a feeling they tested and didn't reconnect all the way. The dealer also said they did not touch anything pertaining to the upper console and stuff but also told me they checked out all of the pin connections at all systems.
Thank you

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I took my truck back from the local dealer. Asked if they had tested the battery, they had not. Tested myself and does appear to have a bad cell or staring to. But when I picked it up from them now my upper console doesn't work- sliding rear window, lights, back seat light, garage door opener and visor lights don't work. Now I know they were working before I had dropped it off cause I had the rear window open when I drove it in. Does anyone know where I can find the connector to power these is located. Have a feeling they tested and didn't reconnect all the way. The dealer also said they did not touch anything pertaining to the upper console and stuff but also told me they checked out all of the pin connections at all systems.
Thank you
It would definitely be going back to the dealer to fix those issues, and at no charge to you

Jeremy121

Reaction score
I tried but was told they didn't touch anything that would affect any of those controls. And wouldn't schedual me an appointment until I have the pcm issue figured out. I hate dealers but don't wana take it else where to have what they broke fixed on my dime

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried but was told they didn't touch anything that would affect any of those controls. And wouldn't schedual me an appointment until I have the pcm issue figured out. I hate dealers but don't wana take it else where to have what they broke fixed on my dime
I would reach out to @RamCares and open a vase with them against the dealer. Sounds like incompetent techs and service writers.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no one single connector that power all of those systems. Some of them have fused B+ feeds to them and are driven by the Body Control Module either directly or controlled via CAN-BUS data.
I would take a deep breath, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes and while disconnected, check and make sure that the other end of that negative cable, where it connects to the fender ground post, is clean and snug. Then re-connect and wait couple hours for everything to boot back up.
Think of it as doing a hard reboot of your computer, because our trucks are that on wheels.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the tag @HSKR R/T!

Hi @Jeremy121,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this! Feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to provide additional assistance alongside your dealer to get this resolved.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread