5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
OK, how do you calc? My sticker says GAWR Front 3900 lbs GAWR Rear: 4100 lbs with GVWR 7100

Thanks

Why can't they just calc the payload and print that on the sticker
Look at the tire and loading sticker, that shows your payload. You don't need to do any calculations.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1212 to 2302 is the range according to Google. @SpeedyV is our resident low payload champion...atleast last time I checked with 1069 and I do not believe we have anyone who posted at over 1900, I think the highest was 1875 when I was paying attention.

Maybe those numbers are for Half Ton trucks in general, but "Crew Cab" 4x4 DT trucks max out at 1840 as advertised by Ram.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe those numbers are for Half Ton trucks in general, but "Crew Cab" 4x4 DT trucks max out at 1840 as advertised by Ram.
Those numbers are the range spread not by cab or drivetrain. The max payload is a quad cab 2wd V6, those were not for a crew cab. I was merely stating this if he googled and got those numbers...they were not specific.

I am really losing interest in posting lol, we just need to get conference calls lol

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much weight can these trucks actually haul in the bed, anyone out there haul anything besides groceries yet, gravel? Firewood? Landscaping stone from Home Depot. Can they do better than 2000 pounds without dragging the bumper

I hauled 4,020lbs of Obsidian rock and my air suspension leveled back to normal and I drove almost 10 miles home. I love the air suspension!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hauled 4,020lbs of Obsidian rock and my air suspension leveled back to normal and I drove almost 10 miles home. I love the air suspension!

I prefer to keep my rear axle attached, but hey, you do whatever makes you happy on a lazy Saturday morning.

runamuck

Reaction score
the yellow sticker on mine shows 1324# cargo capacity. when I had mine weighed at cat scale it weighed 5960# with me and 1/2 tank of gas, so 7100#-5960#= 1140 left for cargo and passengers.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Knowing that it didn't fail or get white knuckle scary at 4,000lbs, makes me confident in 2,000lbs anytime (even with the 1345 yellow sticker). I do get that they can't truly say the failing level of capability and they pick a low number and know that it will do that all day long everyday for liability as well as certification level.
Yeah, sure it did.
After each dump load the truck leveled itself back to Normal height (or attempted to as best it could). Not saying that it didn't have some squat from actual normal height but with each front loader scoop it attempted. Then the four of us jumped in and headed home to wheelbarrow it out. This is the rock below, one truckload.
Rock.jpg

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I loaded my 6'4" bed with firewood and she didn't squat at all. I love the air suspension too. The wood was pretty light (very dry) and if I had to guess I would say it would be around 600-700lbs.

My limited has a pretty low payload (1190lbs). I don't ever plan on exceeding it on purpose but I'm sure there is a large safety factor built in.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I loaded my 6'4" bed with firewood and she didn't squat at all. I love the air suspension too. The wood was pretty light (very dry) and if I had to guess I would say it would be around 600-700lbs.

My limited has a pretty low payload (1190lbs). I don't ever plan on exceeding it on purpose but I'm sure there is a large safety factor built in.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Knowing that it didn't fail or get white knuckle scary at 4,000lbs, makes me confident in 2,000lbs anytime (even with the 1345 yellow sticker). I do get that they can't truly say the failing level of capability and they pick a low number and know that it will do that all day long everyday for liability as well as certification level.

After each dump load the truck leveled itself back to Normal height (or attempted to as best it could). Not saying that it didn't have some squat from actual normal height but with each front loader scoop it attempted. Then the four of us jumped in and headed home to wheelbarrow it out.

You realize the rear axle is only rated for 4100 pounds right? Putting 4000 pounds of payload in the bed, plus a tiny human driver at 100 pounds means you are at the max. Now add the weight of the truck empty.

You are going to blow out the suspension, the struts, the axle, and probably do some damage to the frame as well.

Are you not aware that trailer rental is a thing?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
You realize the rear axle is only rated for 4100 pounds right? Putting 4000 pounds of payload in the bed, plus a tiny human driver at 100 pounds means you are at the max. Now add the weight of the truck empty.

You are going to blow out the suspension, the struts, the axle, and probably do some damage to the frame as well.

Are you not aware that trailer rental is a thing?

The 4100 lb limit seems to be a function of the tires. However, the wheels also have a limit of 4500-to-5000. Since an even bed load in a 5-7 is more or less even around the rear tires, and the empty weight there is 2400-2700, with the right wheels and tires an owner could probably get away with 2000 lb in the bed with a driver in the cab.

A 6-4 bed on a crew cab is centered aft of the rear wheels and will actually unload the front wheels if loaded evenly. The limit would be lower.

Trailers are great, and there are also inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight and elsewhere that can handle these loads.

34215 HAUL-MASTER® 1720 Lbs. Capacity 48 In. X 96 In. Super Duty Folding Trailer

A floor and sides would add 50-100lb. Tongue weight would be 200lb or so leaving lots capacity in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread