5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

passive entry question...

Tango51

Reaction score
How can I find out if my 22 big horn is capable of having oem passive entry added. Thanks.

Tango51

Reaction score
I Have my 22 big horn at two different the dealerships and one of them installed the OEM passive entry but they can't get it to program after repeated attemps to program it unsuccesfully they sent it to a second dealership and they can't get it to work as well. They have had my truck for three weeks and can't get it to work. The service manager at another dealership I called told me that if it did not come from factory with the wiring for it, the passive entry can not be programmed even if an oem one was installed. I am at a loss with this.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard question to answer because right now automakers are leaving those optional parts off.

For example... back in 2019, if your 8.4 inch screen didn't come with navigation, it would at least have the GPS antenna built in. Just needed to activate it, by "flipping the switch" on the computer to enable that feature. Now, If your truck doesn't come with navigation, you can't add navigation because they didn't add the GPS antenna for it.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
How can I find out if my 22 big horn is capable of having oem passive entry added. Thanks.
it is a long read but might help

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I Have my 22 big horn at two different the dealerships and one of them installed the OEM passive entry but they can't get it to program after repeated attemps to program it unsuccesfully they sent it to a second dealership and they can't get it to work as well. They have had my truck for three weeks and can't get it to work. The service manager at another dealership I called told me that if it did not come from factory with the wiring for it, the passive entry can not be programmed even if an oem one was installed. I am at a loss with this.
They are 100% wrong. They probably just added the handles or don't know what they are doing. This isn't something a stealership typically installs. You need the harness too. You will probably have to do it yourself.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming that they initially installed the correct door handles, door harnesses, rear bumper antenna, and rear bumper harness, no dealership will be able to program it to work. You have to use AlfaOBD or Jscan to activate it yourself.
All of the current info you need is in this thread:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are 100% wrong. They probably just added the handles or don't know what they are doing. This isn't something a stealership typically installs. You need the harness too. You will probably have to do it yourself.
Unless the DEALERSHIP(I fixed the spelling for you) has an aftermarket tool to program the system they can't do it. I have done a few at the DEALERSHIP, including one for the Stellantis reps dad.

Tango51

Reaction score
Assuming that they initially installed the correct door handles, door harnesses, rear bumper antenna, and rear bumper harness, no dealership will be able to program it to work. You have to use AlfaOBD or Jscan to activate it yourself.
Thank You

Tango51

Reaction score
Unless the DEALERSHIP(I fixed the spelling for you) has an aftermarket tool to program the system they can't do it. I have done a few at the DEALERSHIP, including one for the Stellantis reps dad.
Are you in south Florida by any chance..lol

skyhawk42

Reaction score
There was a eBay seller that was selling oem door harnesses and handles with caps and said the dealer had to add a sales code “GXD” to get it to work. I did mine with Alfa, so I can’t verify that’s the case but before I found this site I was looking at that.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
@Tango51 you should verify what all the stealership you when to installed. They might not realize you need a third party software to program this.

Being a stealership they may believe that whatever they have is all that is required. Don't let the stealership run up extra unnecessary diagnostic time that will be fruitless. You know how stealerships can be....

Just touch base with them, make sure the stealership installs all the parts as listed in the thread and you take it from there for programming.

Tango51

Reaction score
@Tango51 you should verify what all the stealership you when to installed. They might not realize you need a third party software to program this.

Being a stealership they may believe that whatever they have is all that is required. Don't let the stealership run up extra unnecessary diagnostic time that will be fruitless. You know how stealerships can be....

Just touch base with them, make sure the stealership installs all the parts as listed in the thread and you take it from there for programming.
Thank you I will try to find someone with the alfaobd to install it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a eBay seller that was selling oem door harnesses and handles with caps and said the dealer had to add a sales code “GXD” to get it to work. I did mine with Alfa, so I can’t verify that’s the case but before I found this site I was looking at that.
"GXD" isn't an option that could be added. Be glad you didn't go that way.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
"GXD" isn't an option that could be added. Be glad you didn't go that way.
Funny that you say that because I went back to look for it on eBay and he is still selling the kit on there and that’s the sales code he has listed. Glad I bought the parts and Alfa. Alfa has been useful for so much more on this truck

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello,

We see that you plan to address this outside of the dealership. However, if you decide to move forward in working with the dealer on this, we'd be happy to offer an extra layer of support. We can be reached via private message.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread