5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Sunroof Slow to Open & Close - Sometimes Binds Up

kaedenr

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
New to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I just bought a used 19 RAM 1500 about 3 weeks ago, with the panoramic sunroof, and have been having some issues with it. To be fair, I knew about the issues when I bought the truck, they've just gotten a bit worse, and seem to be something I'm going to have to deal with sooner than later now.

I have noticed that every time I open or close the sunroof, that the panel will make it about halfway back or forward before it starts "shaking" and moving very slowly. This issue seems to be worsened by heat as well.. the truck sat in the sun yesterday for 3-4 hours and it was hot enough out for the interior to be pretty hot by the time I got in it, when I went to open the roof, it almost didn't want to open, and then when I went to close it, I literally had to pull it closed while the motor was moving it to get it shut.

My original suspicion was a weak motor, as the truck has 132k miles on it, and I suspect the roof has been used quite a bit, but I was unsure if anyone else had run into a similar issue and found another solution before I spend the almost $300 on a motor and spend the time to drop the headliner and roof assembly to actually replace the motor. Also for what it's worth, I have cleaned and lubed the track twice.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum! If you decide to bring your vehicle into your dealership for diagnosis and repair, please reach out to us. We'd be happy to get you some assistance with diagnosis and repair.

Callie
Ram Cares

HemiDude

Reaction score
What did you use to lube the channels?

Neokane

Reaction score
@RamCares
I have got this issue too. I had an appointment to check this out and check out the gps gone crazy.
Service Tech orders a radio for me and says we will need the truck for a week. I said sure, np, let me know when the radio comes in and we can schedule the time.

Fast forward some time. Get the email from Ram for the dealer experience.
Make notes about how I am still waiting for the call to schedule this service.
Dealership calls me back after a dealer survey. Supervisor states employee is no longer employed. Radio was delivered and then returned.
He said he would order it again and call when it comes in. Now a month later, still no call.
Really getting disappointed with this dealership and their service department.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
New to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I just bought a used 19 RAM 1500 about 3 weeks ago, with the panoramic sunroof, and have been having some issues with it. To be fair, I knew about the issues when I bought the truck, they've just gotten a bit worse, and seem to be something I'm going to have to deal with sooner than later now.

I have noticed that every time I open or close the sunroof, that the panel will make it about halfway back or forward before it starts "shaking" and moving very slowly. This issue seems to be worsened by heat as well.. the truck sat in the sun yesterday for 3-4 hours and it was hot enough out for the interior to be pretty hot by the time I got in it, when I went to open the roof, it almost didn't want to open, and then when I went to close it, I literally had to pull it closed while the motor was moving it to get it shut.

My original suspicion was a weak motor, as the truck has 132k miles on it, and I suspect the roof has been used quite a bit, but I was unsure if anyone else had run into a similar issue and found another solution before I spend the almost $300 on a motor and spend the time to drop the headliner and roof assembly to actually replace the motor. Also for what it's worth, I have cleaned and lubed the track twice.
My 2020 does the shake thing when closing. Need to schedule an appointment with dealer before warranty is up. I tried spraying some dry lube in the rollers and channel and it didnt help any.

RamCares

Reaction score
@RamCares
I have got this issue too. I had an appointment to check this out and check out the gps gone crazy.
Service Tech orders a radio for me and says we will need the truck for a week. I said sure, np, let me know when the radio comes in and we can schedule the time.

Fast forward some time. Get the email from Ram for the dealer experience.
Make notes about how I am still waiting for the call to schedule this service.
Dealership calls me back after a dealer survey. Supervisor states employee is no longer employed. Radio was delivered and then returned.
He said he would order it again and call when it comes in. Now a month later, still no call.
Really getting disappointed with this dealership and their service department.
Hey there,

Thank you for tagging us in this. We can certainly see why this would be frustrating. If you'd like some additional assistance and potentially an expedited repair, please reach out to us via direct messaging. We'd love to get a case manager involved with this.

Callie
Ram Cares

mlaird

Reaction score
My 2020 does the shake thing when closing. Need to schedule an appointment with dealer before warranty is up. I tried spraying some dry lube in the rollers and channel and it didnt help any.
I have a 19 Ram. My panoramic sunroof seems so slow. From the close position to fully open it takes about 11.5 seconds. Not sure if this is normal. Can anyone time therebsunroof, I'm curious if this is the normal open speed..

ohiocheese

Reaction score
I know this thread is over a year old but did anyone find a solution to the problem? I am having the same issue with my 19 Ram.

TheMushyButt

Reaction score
I’m having this problem also. My truck was at the dealer for over a month just a few months ago and nothing was fixed. I had to pay for a rental out of pocket and when they reimbursed me they shorted me about 400 dollars saying they don’t reimburse for tax.
I still had outstanding work that needed to be done but I was so frustrated I didn’t reschedule another appointment. Now I just passed the 36k mile warranty and I know the dealer is going to tell me to go kick rocks.
This is my second 5th Gen Ram and both truck I had huge problems servicing it under warranty. I’m sad to say that this is my last Ram at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My truck is 750 mi from the end of the extended warranty and my sunroof is binding up too. I’ve tried lithium grease etc. no luck. About 11sec to open and 16 sec to close.

Not pleased.

My dad is shopping for a Limited and I warned him to avoid sunroofs but he really wants the pano. Beware the pano-pain.

My work F150 is about 7 seconds for comparison. I’ll have to check my wife’s GC.

Users who are viewing this thread