5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Sunroof Question?

A4Owner

Reaction score
Most of my vehicles over the years have had sunroofs but have been garage parked. There is no way I'd be able to fit a 1500 in my garage and so with the potential for YEARs of outdoor parking should I opt OUT of a panoramic sunroof?

evanxrs

Reaction score
I would not. I have not heard of many if any issues with it leaking.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I guess that's the other side [i.e. that sunroofs have made a quantum leap in quality compared to the 1980s].

A4Owner

Reaction score
Yeah my car has the automatic HVAC system which is great but yeah any chance I get I open her up.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would have preferred to not have a sunroof since I never use them. I'm not really concerned that I'll have a leak issue in the future since I doubt I'll still have the truck if/when that happens. The main thing is to keep the drains clear.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love mine and it lives outdoors. I did have cermaic film on it. I never close the shade and it keeps the temps fine.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
We have the pano roof in both our Grand Cherokees (2019 and 2020). I really like it and keep it open more than closed. With that said, we also have a 2005 4Runner with a sunroof that rattles and has recently started leaking. I do think they have a useful life, but may be problems down the road. Based on my experiences, since I plan on driving this truck into the ground, I opted not to get the pano in the truck.

JbVt

Reaction score
I love mine. To be honest, I wasn't going to get it when ordering my truck but my wife said that she would like it. That was the only thing she said about the order process so I obliged her, I'm glad I did. I use it every chance I get. My truck has sat outside from the last 18 months while we waited on our house. I park in the garage mostly now but have not had any issues from the sun.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my vehicles over the years have had sunroofs but have been garage parked. There is no way I'd be able to fit a 1500 in my garage and so with the potential for YEARs of outdoor parking should I opt OUT of a panoramic sunroof?
The panoramic sunroof was one of the requirements for this truck, so I'm obviously going to lean in that direction, but I don't think I'd order a Ram without it.

Living in Florida, I don't open my sunroofs all that often, but it's nice to let some light in. Even more so with the panoramic sunroof.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I would have preferred to not have a sunroof since I never use them. I'm not really concerned that I'll have a leak issue in the future since I doubt I'll still have the truck if/when that happens. The main thing is to keep the drains clear.
I see...so it isn't the rubber liner its more the drains then eh?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you regularly use something to protect it like VRP or 303, shouldn't be an issue. I do this every time I wash the truck, along with the trim and tires.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sunroofs are designed with failing rubber seals in mind. They're installed into the roof in a tray to hold any water that might past the glass panel seals, and each corner of the tray has a drain hose for getting rid of this water. You mainly run into problems if those drains become plugged, and enough water gets into the tray. This water can overflow to the only place it can go, the interior of the vehicle. This is known as an in car shower, which I've experienced first-hand. Not a pleasant experience LOL.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
guess I'm in the minority, but I am not a fan of sunroofs anymore. After the last 3 vehicles WITH s/r's, I realized I never used them. To me, the downsides are 1) they add weight to the truck which takes away from your cargo limit, 2), they are a potential leak spot, 3), they add about $1000 to the price of the truck, 4), in New England it's humid as hell in the summer, and a/c is a must, so the roof would stay closed anyway.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sunroof is all dependent on where you live. When I lived in Minnesota, I had the sunroof open all the time, even in the winter. I had the heat on, but the sunroof allowed for breathing cool, fresh air. Now that I live in Florida, a sunroof is not a priority. The heat transfer from the glass is ridiculous. If I decide to tint my windows at 30% or darker, why would I want the extra light? I'm thinking about moving again, but this time more towards the mid Atlantic area, where there are 4 seasons again and I can use a sunroof, then I'll order one.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
they add weight to the truck which takes away from your cargo limit
now-your-talking-my-language.gif

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The sunroof is all dependent on where you live. When I lived in Minnesota, I had the sunroof open all the time, even in the winter. I had the heat on, but the sunroof allowed for breathing cool, fresh air. Now that I live in Florida, a sunroof is not a priority. The heat transfer from the glass is ridiculous. If I decide to tint my windows at 30% or darker, why would I want the extra light? I'm thinking about moving again, but this time more towards the mid Atlantic area, where there are 4 seasons again and I can use a sunroof, then I'll order one.
You picked the wrong state if you don't like the sun. :LOL:

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I really wanted the sunroof when I was looking for a truck but I found too good a deal on mine to pass up and it had everything else I wanted. Looking back I don't regret it. The main reason I like a sunroof is to let a little fresh air in on the highway but I've found opening the rear sliding window does just as good.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally didn't want the sunroof as I keep it closed most of the time, even the shade (fair skin, bald head, I can sunburn through the tinted window). Only 2 Rebels on the lot both had them. I do enjoy it now that I have it, and my wife really wanted it. My truck sits outside as close to 24/7 as it can get. It's maybe spent 4 nights in the garage in the more than 2 years I've had it. It'll probably get less than a month of garage time in the decade+ that I plan on owning it. Keep the drains cleaned by hitting them with some compressed air every now and then, and you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/