5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Sunroof Question?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I lived in Arizona I did everything I could to avoid the sun, so I never considered buying a truck with a sunroof. When I ordered my Ram, I was still in that mindset. Fortunately, my dealer reminded me that I live in the PNW. I only close the sunroof shade on those crappy 90° days, so it's open about 350 days per year. I use the venting mode about 6-7 months out of the year.

bucolic

Reaction score
The panoramic sunroofs on these Rams are simply gorgeous. They flood the cab with light and make it feel so light and spacious in an otherwise dark enclosed place. I rode in a Chevy top-of-the-line pickup yesterday with someone and the sunroof in those is just pathetic compared to the Rams.

Even if it didn't open in the ram, it would be a feature I would want just for the way it makes the cab feel with all the light. Plus you can just close the shade down if you want but I rarely do this.

And as a bonus...you can actually open these sunroofs and drive 65 mph with them open! Very little turbulence and zero wind buffeting in the cab even at highway speeds. I have had other vehicles that when you opened the sunroof anything over 30 mph the wind buffeting and turbulence was so annoying you couldn't drive with it open.

So my vote is to get one even if you don't ever plan on opening it. The cab feels all that more spacious with all that light.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Most of my vehicles over the years have had sunroofs but have been garage parked. There is no way I'd be able to fit a 1500 in my garage and so with the potential for YEARs of outdoor parking should I opt OUT of a panoramic sunroof?
Where will it be parked outdoors? My driveway has trees over it, and the dirt and debris that rains down over time would eventually clog the drains. I'd know when they were clogged because my truck would be full of water. It was a huge pain in the butt that occurred once a year or so.

If you park under trees, make a note to clean the drain plugs periodically. If you do that you may never have a problem. If you don't, they will let you know when they are clogged by depositing lots of rain inside your truck.

The other problem I had was repair costs. When the much smaller sun roof broke on my last truck they wanted $2,000 to fix it. Most of that was labor. If you keep the truck a long time, consider the cost of breakage. At the time mine broke, the blue book on the truck was $20,000. That meant I'd need to spend 10% of the value of the truck to fix something I hardly ever used.

I park outside too, and I never want another sunroof in my life.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where will it be parked outdoors? My driveway has trees over it, and the dirt and debris that rains down over time would eventually clog the drains. I'd know when they were clogged because my truck would be full of water. It was a huge pain in the butt that occurred once a year or so.

If you park under trees, make a note to clean the drain plugs periodically. If you do that you may never have a problem. If you don't, they will let you know when they are clogged by depositing lots of rain inside your truck.

The other problem I had was repair costs. When the much smaller sun roof broke on my last truck they wanted $2,000 to fix it. Most of that was labor. If you keep the truck a long time, consider the cost of breakage. At the time mine broke, the blue book on the truck was $20,000. That meant I'd need to spend 10% of the value of the truck to fix something I hardly ever used.

I park outside too, and I never want another sunroof in my life.
Unless you were parked with it open, tree debris shouldnt have gotten past the seal on the sunroof to clog the drains. And ive had several vehicles with sunroofs, this is actually the first new vehicle I have bought with sunroof. The rest were all used, and never had an issue with any of them.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Unless you were parked with it open, tree debris shouldnt have gotten past the seal on the sunroof to clog the drains. And ive had several vehicles with sunroofs, this is actually the first new vehicle I have bought with sunroof. The rest were all used, and never had an issue with any of them.
Great for you. Mine had plenty of issues, and the roof was never open. Your experience doesn't negate mine, nor the others who have all had clogged drain tubes. :rolleyes:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had the pano on the 2015 Grand Cherokee we traded in. We almost never used it. Part of that is because we usually had our beagles in the back and any in-cab turbulence can send fur flying everywhere.

I will note that despite seldom using it, we did have the shade come off the track a couple times. Usually, it would reset itself somehow, but other people on a Jeep forum weren't so lucky and were being quoted pretty expensive repair estimates for what seemed like it should be a simple fix.

NRitland2

Reaction score
The panoramic sunroofs on these Rams are simply gorgeous. They flood the cab with light and make it feel so light and spacious in an otherwise dark enclosed place. I rode in a Chevy top-of-the-line pickup yesterday with someone and the sunroof in those is just pathetic compared to the Rams.

Even if it didn't open in the ram, it would be a feature I would want just for the way it makes the cab feel with all the light. Plus you can just close the shade down if you want but I rarely do this.

And as a bonus...you can actually open these sunroofs and drive 65 mph with them open! Very little turbulence and zero wind buffeting in the cab even at highway speeds. I have had other vehicles that when you opened the sunroof anything over 30 mph the wind buffeting and turbulence was so annoying you couldn't drive with it open.

So my vote is to get one even if you don't ever plan on opening it. The cab feels all that more spacious with all that light.
Yes! I completely agree. The amount of light it lets in

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just be glad these don't have the crazy folding-canvas " Sky Slider" sunroofs FCA was putting on the Liberty's a few years ago...talk about a nightmare! When i was appraising for the ins co. I had one that a tree limb ripped open. It went to 3 dealers who refused to work on it, so we totaled the vehicle. If someone has one and it breaks...there are NO parts for it. Sky Slider nightmare

Essbaum

Reaction score
I live in a high hail area and have had my grand cherokee roof with pano replaced 3 times. the first 2 I had to go back for adjustments because of leaking. the last they nailed it first time.

I almost did not get it in the ram because of this. Needless to say I have the pano and don't regret it :)

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After the pano sunroof on my Grand Cherokee exploded while driving (blew outward) I vowed never to have another one. Scared the daylights out of me and my daughter. Luckily I had the sun screen closed so none of the glass fell on us. I know it's not a common problem, but it happens more than I thought. Our local news station even had a "special report" -- one of those "Are your CHILDREN IN DANGER? TUNE IN AT 11!!!" type of stories about exploding sun roofs.

Majortom

Reaction score
I’ve always liked the ability to tilt the panel to vent heat when parked in the sun. Every other car and truck I’ve had allows the panel to tilt open while allowing the shade to be closed, or open, to any setting. That way I could vent heat while the shade was only sli open and blocking radiant heat. But the Ram doesn’t allow that. Tilt the panel, shade opens automatically to Uncover the full front panel. And trying to partially close the shade results in closing the tilt and full closure of the shade. Defeats the purpose.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve always liked the ability to tilt the panel to vent heat when parked in the sun. Every other car and truck I’ve had allows the panel to tilt open while allowing the shade to be closed, or open, to any setting. That way I could vent heat while the shade was only sli open and blocking radiant heat. But the Ram doesn’t allow that. Tilt the panel, shade opens automatically to Uncover the full front panel. And trying to partially close the shade results in closing the tilt and full closure of the shade. Defeats the purpose.

More than likely that’s to keep people from closing the shade and leaving the sunroof open. The shade will only open 1/2 or full.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked that pano roof in my Jeeps and now in my Ram. I have a layer of 50% ceramic tint up on the sunroof when I'm getting the rest of my windows tinted, it helps with the heat in the summer and having the shade open.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I really wanted the sunroof when I was looking for a truck but I found too good a deal on mine to pass up and it had everything else I wanted. Looking back I don't regret it. The main reason I like a sunroof is to let a little fresh air in on the highway but I've found opening the rear sliding window does just as good.
The rear window does much better and has no wind buffeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/