5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic sunroof in Arizona

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im in Texas and went through July and August (hottest months in Texas) with the pano roof and I had no issues. The shade was closed but even open it wasn't hot. All the glass has ceramic i/r blocking window tint, the front windshield and the pano too, both panels. My AC had no issues keeping up.

ldoh

Reaction score
I was in Idaho during the summer before I had ceramic tint applied to the pano glass, it was only 85degs out with clouds, but I could still feel the heat coming through the pano roof fabric. We've all heard the sad stories about lives lost from 160deg inside temps. The poly fabric can block some sunlight but isn't an effective insulation. And ceramic tint might block 97% of IR waves but only 70% of the solar heat. Let's not try to kid ourselves, ceramic tint isn't gonna remove trapped heat like an opened window or an a/c unit can.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well aware of the TSB, but does it solve the issue? Jury is still out as far as I know.
Yes, do you trust a lot jockey "mechanic" who cannot manage to do an oil change to disassemble the entire dashboard and put it back together? without screwing something up?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, do you trust a lot jockey "mechanic" who cannot manage to do an oil change to disassemble the entire dashboard and put it back together? without screwing something up?
lol...huh?

Brute4C

Reaction score
I have a limited with the panoramic sunroof in Las Vegas (Got at beginning of summer). I’m very familiar with AZ weather and while a few degrees hotter, we are in the same neighborhood in regards to extreme heat during the summers. the panaram sunroof was too hot until I got ceramic tint (and all the way around). It made a world of a difference and I would look back. It is much Cooler than my wrangler and about on par (if not better) with my challenger during the summer heat. both of those are tinted very dark (not ceramic) and no sunroofs. Hopefully, this is helpful.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
An oil change tech isn't going to be doing a dash disassembly. Most all dealership service centers have different techs for different jobs

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
An oil change tech isn't going to be doing a dash disassembly. Most all dealership service centers have different techs for different jobs
That may be true for larger dealerships in more populated areas, but small town dealerships can be very different. I do agree that an oil change tech shouldn't be doing a dash replacement. But last time I checked, there was no good way of verifying that won't happen. It's called on the job training.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no, they don't. there's maybe one "real" licensed certified mechanic on staff maybe for the whole chain. The rest are just warm bodies with wrenches and a flowchart held upside down.

Marusho

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here has gone through an entire summer in Arizona with the panoramic sunroof. If so would you recommend having it or staying clear of it?
I live in Virginia and my truck is white. I'd say the panoramic sunroof is a mistake if you live in, well, the USA. The problem to me seems to be the fact that the fabric cover is BLACK INSIDE. On a 90 degree day (April-October) the lining will be between 150 and 170 degrees, while the rest of the headliner will be 130 or less. Even after running the little AC for 30 minutes the sunroof liner is still about the same temperature; and it's pretty close to your brain. I will indeed suffer the indignity of making several visits to the dealer to try to wear them down to do the TSB on the AC, and I do expect damage. But that won't fix this design error. If Ram had only used a reflective material instead of a super-absorbent type I think the car could be as comfortable as other cars. In my search for a bit of help I did a search for a half cover for a full-size pickup. Don't waste your time. There is no such thing. Period. Amazon has one, but reviewers save it barely fits a compact truck. Why did I even get a sunroof when I detest them? It seemed like a good way to keep the interior warm in winter, a practice that does work with my 4Runner. Anyway, I'm getting a 5x7 silver tarp and sticking it on with Harbor Freight magnets. I wanted a 4x6, which is the size of the roof, but couldn't find one. However, I have scissors.
I also considered having the glass tinted with film, but the water damage to the interior makes this impractical; and there is the issue of whether it is safe to do this, based on problems of spontaneous glass shattering.
There is an opportunity for an entrepreneur to develop a product to cure this design error. It could be an exterior reflective sunroof cover of some kind, a fabric half cover for full-size trucks, perhaps even some sort of remedy for the black sunroof cover. I would buy anything at this point that had a chance of keeping the interior cooler.
Perhaps someone who knows someone who knows someone at Ram will pass along my suggestion to change the color of the sunroof liner, if they haven't already figured that out.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well in the Ram 1500 that I traded in for my 2022 order didn’t have a sunroof. It still was hotter. Comparing it to my 2016 Charger with a sunroof. Difference is that in my Charger, I have the sunroof on vent (raised to let the hottest air out) for the past 5 years.

I’m ordering a sunroof this time around. I always like having the windows cracked open in my truck, but I would rather have the pano sunroof cracked open instead of the windows cracked open.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

ny2az

Reaction score
l love the Sun Roof / Pano Roof option and have been getting it on every vehicle l have purchased in Arizona for the last 20 years ... the A/C in my current 21' Ram does work better than my last 20' Ram l had and still wouldn't buy a vehicle without one .... we just went thru 118 degree days a few weeks back and it was just fine in all my vehicles ...

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know sunroofs are fun, but I opted out of one for my 2022. Here in Alabama the A/C in my Camry runs much harder with a sunroof than without it and it noticeably warmer at the top of the car.

Arguments against it:
1) A/C will run harder for longer.
2) It's glass, and a huge hole in your roof - it likely plays into structural integrity/squeaks/rattles.
3) Ever seen a sunroof spontaneously crack/break? I have. It's rare and likely will not happen but it's a mess when it does.

Obviously, you're mileage will vary and the ONLY sunroof I ever had leak was due to backed up drains in an old Ford Explorer that I cleared out easily, but I'm moving away from enjoying them. I maybe open my sunroof 10x's a year, usually as entertainment for my kids. People seem to like the idea of a sunroof more than they like using a sunroof.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Im here in Phoenix Arizona area, love my sunroof. I normally open it in the mornings to work while its a "comfy" 90 degrees lol. Otherwise I keep it closed and shade closed.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question. Has anybody tinted the pano sunroof with a tint that is more reflective on the suns rays. Just curious.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question. Has anybody tinted the pano sunroof with a tint that is more reflective on the suns rays. Just curious.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

This question was batted about in the early days of this forum. There are strong opinions on this approach. Some believe this kind of tinting can cause more problems than it solves when applied to large sunroofs…and others swear by it. I’ve left mine alone, and it’s been fine. But I rarely open the shade in summertime.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This question was batted about in the early days of this forum. There are strong opinions on this approach. Some believe this kind of tinting can cause more problems than it solves when applied to large sunroofs…and others swear by it. I’ve left mine alone, and it’s been fine. But I rarely open the shade in summertime.
Gotcha. I have sunroof before, just never a full panoramic sunroof, so I'm learning plenty around here. Thanks.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the pano sunroof on the Grand Cherokee we traded. It was neat, but I found I very seldom used it. Plus, the shade began to sometimes jump off the track when opening or closing. So, we opted out of it for the new truck. I gotta think there is a little better structural rigidity and sound insulation with the solid roof?

Kovy23

Reaction score
Down here in Southern Florida, so we know a thing or two about heat LOL. But I will keep mine closed in the middle of the day during summers. But early morning and night drive it's nice to open up with some extra air flow.

lkjk

Reaction score
I live in Virginia and my truck is white. I'd say the panoramic sunroof is a mistake if you live in, well, the USA. The problem to me seems to be the fact that the fabric cover is BLACK INSIDE.

Other cars definitely are not as blacked out as Ram's, specifically most German cars you still get some light through the shade. Put ceramic tint on it.

Pano roof is awesome, even for me living in CO. Shade is shut 95% of the time, but drive a car with one and you won't have one without

Users who are viewing this thread