5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic sunroof in Arizona

Maintf16

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here has gone through an entire summer in Arizona with the panoramic sunroof. If so would you recommend having it or staying clear of it?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Until there is a certified, guaranteed, universally agreed upon, AC fix for the 5th Gens that have ac issues, I would stay clear. Especially where you are!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While it’s not quite Arizona, there are lots of us in Texas. I personally leave the shade closed under the sunroof most of the time, especially in summer, and my A/C has gotten the job done. I sometimes open the shade on cloudy days or at night. It definitely changes the feel of the truck!

arptsprt

Reaction score
There is a certain button in the overhead console. When you push it, a sunshade appears from the interior rear ceiling of the cab. When it fully closes, it’s like magic as if the sunroof was never there.

In all seriousness, that’s what the sunshade is for. I currently have mine closed because temps are in the single digits up to the mid 20’s and the radiant colder temps are obvious with the shade open resulting in the cab being less warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouper

Reaction score
Until there is a certified, guaranteed, universally agreed upon, AC fix for the 5th Gens that have ac issues, I would stay clear. Especially where you are!

Are you implying that the TSB issued for the A/C system isn't effective?

While it’s not quite Arizona, there are lots of us in Texas. I personally leave the shade closed under the sunroof most of the time, especially in summer, and my A/C has gotten the job done. I sometimes open the shade on cloudy days or at night. It definitely changes the feel of the truck!

This is why I chose not to bother with the sunroof in FL. I didn't want the truck to be any more of a greenhouse than it already is and I didn't see the point in having the roof glass if the shade is closed the majority of the time.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No need for sarcasm. I've had lots of vehicles with sunroofs, and if you have one and like it great. Personally I'm done with them for 4 reasons. 1. They add weight to the payload, 2. They provide opportunity for water leaks, 3. They DO add heat to the interior, and 4. Whenever it's hot I prefer the ac over open windows. ...as far as the TSB, I would want to here from those that have had poor ac performance tell us they got the " fix " and are happy with it.

Grouper

Reaction score
Are you implying that the TSB issued for the A/C system isn't effective?

No need for sarcasm...

...as far as the TSB, I would want to here from those that have had poor ac performance tell us they got the " fix " and are happy with it.

Sorry you took my question as sarcasm. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was asking if you were aware of the TSB and if so, is there some reason you believe it to be an ineffective remedy?

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For post #8 here is the full TSB.

Attachments

• Ram AC TSB-24-001-20.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well aware of the TSB, but does it solve the issue? Jury is still out as far as I know.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
will have wait til you actually need a/c now.

Trailbr8ker

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix and my current truck has the sunroof. Personally I would not want a truck without it. The feel of the truck with the shade open is great. As far as having it open in the summer time at first I kept in closed, then I tried it one day with it open and haven't looked back. If you park it outside I would close the shade but open that thing up once you start driving.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry you took my question as sarcasm. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was asking if you were aware of the TSB and if so, is there some reason you believe it to be an ineffective remedy?
oh, sorry, I wasn't referring to you, it was the post stating that the "sunshade was like magic"

arptsprt

Reaction score
oh, sorry, I wasn't referring to you, it was the post stating that the "sunshade was like magic"

That was my post. At nearly 50 years of age and dealing with much larger and more complex issues in life and career, frankly, I’m not concerned about whether you disapprove of my “sarcasm” or not about a “sunshade” in a truck. It was an attempt at humor that clearly went over your head.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was my post. At nearly 50 years of age and dealing with much larger and more complex issues in life and career, frankly, I’m not concerned about whether you disapprove of my “sarcasm” or not about a “sunshade” in a truck. It was an attempt at humor that clearly went over your head.

Ha ha. Ok, your just a pup...when you're my age you'll be grumpy too...have a great New Years!

arptsprt

Reaction score
Roger that, Sir. And I suppose my response to you yesterday was grumpy too. Being grumpy seems to be an easy thing let happen these days.

So there’s no misunderstanding, I’m being genuine in saying Happy New Years to you too. Let’s hope 2021 shapes up to be a happy, healthy new year - we need it.

CP

Ha ha. Ok, your just a pup...when you're my age you'll be grumpy too...have a great New Years!

ldoh

Reaction score
FCA's pano design lacks any significant insulation. It's just a fabric cover with possibly light window tint. The heat is easily felt through the fabric on a summer's day. I've owned a number of sunroof vehicles but this is the first pano and I wouldn't buy another one in hot climates. I installed limo dark ceramic tint for a little relief. Obviously the larger open space roof limits insulation options unless they stack/telescope when sliding open or closed but that reduces occupant headroom.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FCA's pano design lacks any significant insulation. It's just a fabric cover with possibly light window tint. The heat is easily felt through the fabric on a summer's day. I've owned a number of sunroof vehicles but this is the first pano and I wouldn't buy another one in hot climates. I installed limo dark ceramic tint for a little relief. Obviously the larger open space roof limits insulation options unless they stack/telescope when sliding open or closed but that reduces occupant headroom.
Yes, you’ll definitely want to avoid them if you’re not liking the shade in the Ram. My wife’s Audi barely has a screen over her pano roof, so I find the fabric shade in the Ram to be a welcome relief (and much cooler)!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you’ll definitely want to avoid them if you’re not liking the shade in the Ram. My wife’s Audi barely has a screen over her pano roof, so I find the fabric shade in the Ram to be a welcome relief (and much cooler)!
I have the same in my Audi. It's an Avant, so it has a pano sunroof that's almost as large as the one on my truck. Thankfully the Audi has light colored interior, which helps a lot. But the shade is more translucent than opaque. The one in my truck doesn't allow any light through, and I really don't notice heat coming off it. I didn't really care if I had a sunroof or not in my truck. Most of the time I keep it and the shade closed and just use the AC, but there are occasions when it's nice to have it open.

As far as the OP's question goes, I would probably have tried to find a truck without a sunroof if I still lived in Phoenix or Tucson, but if I lived in the higher areas of AZ, like Flagstaff or Prescott I'd be less likely to care about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread