5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted my tail light perimeters black

jamesfg

Reaction score
I really liked the black on the sport taillights so I painted the perimeter of the taillight with base coat clear coat and it seems to highlight nicely against the white truck

Did you remove your taillights to paint 'em? If so, was it just the 2 torx screws to get them off? I saw some sort of plastic clip below the screws and wasn't sure if those had to be removed also.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Did you remove your taillights to paint 'em? If so, was it just the 2 torx screws to get them off? I saw some sort of plastic clip below the screws and wasn't sure if those had to be removed also.
There are two torx screws and two push pins, once removed pull straight back

ghostface

Reaction score
@jordan2929 I am able to get the torx screws out and then able to pop out the first ring of the plastic fastener/pins but then I cant figure out how to get them out fully. Any advice/pictures on how to get them out?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
@jordan2929 I am able to get the torx screws out and then able to pop out the first ring of the plastic fastener/pins but then I cant figure out how to get them out fully. Any advice/pictures on how to get them out?
Ghost,

Here you go:

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical:8L - Lamps and Lighting:Lamps:Lighting - Exterior:LAMP, Tail Stop Turn:Removal...pdf
    126.3 KB · Views: 48

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I got that far, I just cant get the push pin fasteners out. Was wondering if there's a trick aside from just ripping them out...
The plastic push pins have two stages, you use a screwdriver to pull the smaller plastic ring out but it should still be connected to the bigger plastic ring (it should pull out about half an inch) then you put the screwdriver between the bed of the truck and the bigger plastic ring and pry it out, it shouldn't be a violent thing.

tonyplants

Reaction score
The plastic push pins have two stages, you use a screwdriver to pull the smaller plastic ring out but it should still be connected to the bigger plastic ring (it should pull out about half an inch) then you put the screwdriver between the bed of the truck and the bigger plastic ring and pry it out, it shouldn't be a violent thing.
pay attention to their placement. They do go a certain way.

Attachments

• 20181125_075739.jpg
    20181125_075739.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181125_075905.jpg
    20181125_075905.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20181125_075954.jpg
    20181125_075954.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 51

Cummins2hemi

Reaction score
Need to paint the center plastic piece around the reverse light. It has a pinkish tint to it from factory. It looks great blacked out

ghostface

Reaction score
pay attention to their placement. They do go a certain way.
Thank you so much!!! I finally got them haha after ordering that plastics kit. Does anyone know the part number for those fasteners? Or what size they are and what ones might be able to go in place in case I lost one of them :(

tonyplants

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! I finally got them haha after ordering that plastics kit. Does anyone know the part number for those fasteners? Or what size they are and what ones might be able to go in place in case I lost one of them :(
There are so many variations. I have a load of various sizes for my snowmobiles, SxS, and vehicles. I don't think you'll need a specific part number. It would be in your best interest to order a set with multiple types or take one of your existing push pins to either an auto parts or body shop retailer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jordan2929

Reaction score
06512734AA Is the part number for the plastic push pins. 06511081AA Is the part number for the screws.

Users who are viewing this thread