5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted my tail light perimeters black

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
Yeah, the Rebel or Black optioned tail lights are great.
I love the mod that you did, looks great.
Bill

Kaydee

Reaction score
Saw this when you first posted it and thought someone may ask the process you used, can you explain what was used and how you painted?
Sure I removed the tail lights and that was pretty straightforward then unclipped the harness took down to my basement used some quarter inch pinstriping tape because of its flexibility and outlined the Inside Edge of the tail lights and then masked with paper and masking tape everything out to the Pinstripe tape. So what you have now is just that approximate one in Perimeter around the whole tail light exposed. Then you lightly sand with 320 Grit sandpaper to the perimeter of the tail lights getting a nice and close to that pinstripe tape. Then sprayed the two lights with a plastic adhesion promoter in a spray can. Then I used a standard Automotive gloss black urethane. It is an actual automotive paint that needs to be activated. You could use a gloss spray bomb but that paint will not look very good for a long time it does not have the hardeners so it's scratches pretty easily. Hope that helped

Users who are viewing this thread