5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Protection Film & Tint - Price Check

justahbustah

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing this also. Was quoted $1k for partial front in XPEL from DFW clear bra and $200 for front tint (not sure what type though). May split the work between two shops if not that many tinting options and I wanna shop around. Pretty sure for PPF in my area this is the place to go to though.

I have a painted grill from black appearance package, anyone vinyl wrap grill and PPF for other areas?

The same shop I got those xpel quotes from also applied tint to my front windows to match the back windows. They applied SunTek high performance series and I paid $70 for them to install it, and it includes a limited lifetime warranty. The $200 price seems high for 2 windows, but maybe it's some really high quality tint?

dailyherold

Reaction score
@justahbustah good info, I'll ask for sure. Now that I'm reading all these tint recs, I'm also going to see if I can do clear (or close to) ceramic on sunroof, backs, and maybe windshield. So may try to find a specialized place for good ceramic tint if XPEL place doesn't offer good options.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@justahbustah good info, I'll ask for sure. Now that I'm reading all these tint recs, I'm also going to see if I can do clear (or close to) ceramic on sunroof, backs, and maybe windshield.

I have always used this product on my windshield when going clear:

Justroc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I run a Car Wrapping company here in Ontario, Canada and just want to give you some of my expertise on the subject.
First off, I would stay away from any 3M PPF installs. 3Ms PPF product is known to yellow/discolour and crack over time. The majority of shops in the area including mine, do not offer any 3M PPF at all for this reason. When it comes to PPF, Xpel is the best of the best and is highly recommended. With that being said, Xpel is definitely the more expensive brand out there, but as many others have mentioned you get what you pay for.
When it comes to window tinting, prices can vary from shop to shop from what I have personally seen in my area. Some may advertise that they use ceramic tints or high quality tints but install cheaper tint instead, as it is very hard to tell the difference for the consumer. I would be careful of shops like this and make sure to read reviews. My pricing to tint all the windows on our Rams with Suntek Ceramic Tint I normally charge around $280-300 CDN.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I run a Car Wrapping company here in Ontario, Canada and just want to give you some of my expertise on the subject.
First off, I would stay away from any 3M PPF installs. 3Ms PPF product is known to yellow/discolour and crack over time. The majority of shops in the area including mine, do not offer any 3M PPF at all for this reason. When it comes to PPF, Xpel is the best of the best and is highly recommended. With that being said, Xpel is definitely the more expensive brand out there, but as many others have mentioned you get what you pay for.
When it comes to window tinting, prices can vary from shop to shop from what I have personally seen in my area. Some may advertise that they use ceramic tints or high quality tints but install cheaper tint instead, as it is very hard to tell the difference for the consumer. I would be careful of shops like this and make sure to read reviews. My pricing to tint all the windows on our Rams with Suntek Ceramic Tint I normally charge around $280-300 CDN.
Spot on my friend and I agree 100%. I was told to stay away from 3M years ago and have used Xpel exclusively since around 2010. I also ask to see the box the tint came in to be sure I am getting what I asked for as it is VERY easy for folks to be dishonest.

Stew81

Reaction score
For the guys with PPF installed on white trucks or pearl ivory. Any yellowing? Seems like its the most noticeable on white vehicles.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the guys with PPF installed on white trucks or pearl ivory. Any yellowing? Seems like its the most noticeable on white vehicles.

Had Suntek on my 2014 Outdoorsman for 5 years traded it on my Rebel, no yellowing and the salesman couldn't even tell I had it on there. He looked at the front end and commented how clean it looked, told him I had it PPF'd.

Carchibald

Reaction score
Definitely want to get something on my new truck when I pick it up, my older Ram Sport after 225000kms the front looked like it was sandblasted. Some good PPF and Tint information here thanks! Anyone have experience with ceramic paint coatings and are they worth it?

Justroc

Reaction score
Definitely want to get something on my new truck when I pick it up, my older Ram Sport after 225000kms the front looked like it was sandblasted. Some good PPF and Tint information here thanks! Anyone have experience with ceramic paint coatings and are they worth it?
My shop is a Ceramic Pro Certified Installation Center. I would highly recommend a ceramic coating on any new vehicle for not only the protection aspect, but the ease of maintenance and cleaning. With that being said, they are definitely not cheap to get done with the right coverage / application coats. But if you are keeping your vehicle longterm, in my opinion it is definitely worth the money. I also see you're located in Ontario, shoot me a PM and I can give you some discounted pricing!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My shop is a Ceramic Pro Certified Installation Center. I would highly recommend a ceramic coating on any new vehicle for not only the protection aspect, but the ease of maintenance and cleaning. With that being said, they are definitely not cheap to get done with the right coverage / application coats. But if you are keeping your vehicle longterm, in my opinion it is definitely worth the money. I also see you're located in Ontario, shoot me a PM and I can give you some discounted pricing!
I would just add that the coating really does not protect anything other than bird poop from etching the clear coat and tree tar from truly sticking to the surface. It does help to keep the truck clean as less "dirt" will stick to the surface. It is super expensive which is why I do all of my vehicles myself AFTER I have them wrapped in Xpel Paint Protection Film. If you truly want to protect your truck, wrap the front (bumper, hood, quarter panels, A-pillars, etc.) in film to protect against rock chips, etc. and then have the truck ceramic coated. Its not hard to do and I have done 5 vehicles myself with incredible results and saved more than you can ever imagine. If your vehicles needs a ton of paint correction, and you have $1500 +/- to burn, then have it done professionally. If your paints in great shape, you can do it yourself for well under $100 with amazing results.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want protection, get the PPF first...much better value and provides true protection against road debris. I never buy a vehicle without first having the entire front end wrapped.

Carchibald

Reaction score
I would just add that the coating really does not protect anything other than bird poop from etching the clear coat and tree tar from truly sticking to the surface. It does help to keep the truck clean as less "dirt" will stick to the surface. It is super expensive which is why I do all of my vehicles myself AFTER I have them wrapped in Xpel Paint Protection Film. If you truly want to protect your truck, wrap the front (bumper, hood, quarter panels, A-pillars, etc.) in film to protect against rock chips, etc. and then have the truck ceramic coated. Its not hard to do and I have done 5 vehicles myself with incredible results and saved more than you can ever imagine. If your vehicles needs a ton of paint correction, and you have $1500 +/- to burn, then have it done professionally. If your paints in great shape, you can do it yourself for well under $100 with amazing results.
Thanks for that advice. I will definitely do the PPF and reading on here gives me better knowledge on what make to get, you all have been a great help. Since the truck will be new I think after the PPF I will try the coating myself.

ClintonBradley

Reaction score
I bought a car for my wife, and decided that I should take it to the detailing center for to have it coated with a film. From the long list of films that I was offered, I preferred the F-Performance film brand. My wife is delighted and really likes the car because it shines.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a car for my wife, and decided that I should take it to the detailing center for to have it coated with a film. From the long list of films that I was offered, I preferred the F-Performance film brand. My wife is delighted and really likes the car because it shines.
I always use Xpel.

RamRMK

Reaction score
I was quoted $795 for partial front 3M PPF and $1015 for the same in Xpel. Coverage includes front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, grille surround and mirrors which I don’t need because I have the black textured tow mirrors. I live in northern VT so options are limited on installers and pricing. Wanted to get front windows tinted but unfortunately the inspection commies don’t allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNeal

Reaction score
Yep. The 30% should be close to the rear windows. Here in Texas, 30% is as dark as the law apparently allows. This shop want install anything darker, and I’m not really interested in anything darker.

I do wonder if the stock tint on the rear windows and back glass is a good quality ceramic tint. Hope it’s not some low quality film. Does anyone know?
Where in Texas are you? I am in Frisco and looking for a reputable shop for PPF and front window tint.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was quoted $795 for partial front 3M PPF and $1015 for the same in Xpel. Coverage includes front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, grille surround and mirrors which I don’t need because I have the black textured tow mirrors. I live in northern VT so options are limited on installers and pricing. Wanted to get front windows tinted but unfortunately the inspection commies don’t allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 3m scotchguard ppf on my Charger I liked it. Had the original Xpel on my old truck and it was okay not nearly as nice as the Scotchguard (both done at different installers), used Xpel ultimate this time around on new truck and it’s my favorite to date... again a different installer. I think the installer makes all the difference. I paid more then that for the Xpel but I also had the headlights done, partial front, mirrors and roof cap so it added a bit more to the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flyingpoint

Reaction score
The absolute best tints out there are either Huper Optik Ceramic or Drei, OR Formula One Stratos. I have always had Huper Optik because of its superior heat rejection, but this time I chose Stratos. I only bought my truck in October so will let you know once the hot weather gets here how good it is.
I am seriously thinking to get Stratos tinting all around the windows including duel sunroof. May I ask you how much it cost for you to get the Stratos on your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread