5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Protection Film & Tint - Price Check

immersivenc

Reaction score
Curious of those who have gotten their trucks tinted and/or covered with PPF. Looking into PPF on the front bumper and possibly hood as well as ceramic tinting.

Please include-

Product you had applied
Area(s) of coverage
Where you are located
Price paid

I got a quote today that I thought was rather high, but don’t have much to compare to.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had the bumper/grill/headlights done on my 2014 and it's probably what I'll do on my 2019. I think I only have one small chip on my hood in 55,000 miles so to me its not a necessity. I think the painted bumper is a must on the 2019 since it is painted steel and more prone to rock chips and possible rust.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't got my 2019 Rebel yet but had my 2014 Outdoorsman done. Front bumper(upper and lower), grille, hood(12 inches and includes down front fenders), A-pillars, roof(12 inches), door sills(front and back) for $1000 Canadian. Took them 2 days(1 to install and 1 to dry completely inside). Will get my Rebel done minus bumper as the Rebel bumper is powder coated.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i was just quoted 995 for a "partial" 3m PPF, 1800 for full, and an additional 600 for rear fenders.

Also 369 for front window 3M crystaline, and all sides and rears 3M High Performance.

Opinions?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Creep0321 ...sounds ok for partial hood as I had the partial hood, front bumper, A-pillars, roof front side of moon roof, door cups, headlights and mirror caps for $750 but I know the guy well. Would have cost at least $1000 somewhere else. Should only be another $200 or so for a full hood so that is a BIG rip off my friend. He also uses Xpel which is far better than 3M. As far as tint, any good quality CERAMIC tint for the front windows will, most likely run anywhere from $250 - $350 based on geography and the type of film. I like Llumar and my guy did my tint for $125 as a favor since he does all of my cars. In the end, your guy sounds high to me and there is better material on the market than what he's proposing.

Saints

Reaction score
I’d like to see more prices since tint and PPF will be one of the first things I get when my truck comes in. I do have a question about ceramic though. From the videos I’ve seen about it, it lets a lot less heat in, but if you are only doing the front windows does it really matter since heat is also getting in from all of the other windows? I would think the optimal setup would be to tint everything even if you went clear on the windshield.

Also are the factory rear and back windows 15 or 20%?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I’d like to see more prices since tint and PPF will be one of the first things I get when my truck comes in. I do have a question about ceramic though. From the videos I’ve seen about it, it lets a lot less heat in, but if you are only doing the front windows does it really matter since heat is also getting in from all of the other windows? I would think the optimal setup would be to tint everything even if you went clear on the windshield.

Also are the factory rear and back windows 15 or 20%?
I feel the rears are closer to 15... I would ceramic at least all of the windows other than the front.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sitting at the tint shop now while they tint the two front windows with 30% Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle. The cost is $148.00. I’ve had this tint on three previous vehicles from the same tint shop and I’ve never had an issue with the tint or the installation.

Cheers!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m sitting at the tint shop now while they tint the two front windows with 30% Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle. The cost is $148.00. I’ve had this tint on three previous vehicles from the same tint shop and I’ve never had an issue with the tint or the installation.

Awesome tint my friend!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Cheers!
So youre doing 30% on the fronts and leaving the factory on the back and rear?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So youre doing 30% on the fronts and leaving the factory on the back and rear?

Yep. The 30% should be close to the rear windows. Here in Texas, 30% is as dark as the law apparently allows. This shop want install anything darker, and I’m not really interested in anything darker.

I do wonder if the stock tint on the rear windows and back glass is a good quality ceramic tint. Hope it’s not some low quality film. Does anyone know?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two from windows done to match the rear and back window as I had done with the 2014 Ram. Cost was 65.00 bucks and he was done in about 20 minutes while i waited on the truck both times. never had any issues with the 14 at all and just had the 19 done.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two from windows done to match the rear and back window as I had done with the 2014 Ram. Cost was 65.00 bucks and he was done in about 20 minutes while i waited on the truck both times. never had any issues with the 14 at all and just had the 19 done.

The manager just informed me that the job will take a little bit longer than expected because they don’t have the 2019 dimensions for the windows in their plotter. So the tech is having to hand cut the film to get the proper fit. No big deal.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. The 30% should be close to the rear windows. Here in Texas, 30% is as dark as the law apparently allows. This shop want install anything darker, and I’m not really interested in anything darker.

I do wonder if the stock tint on the rear windows and back glass is a good quality ceramic tint. Hope it’s not some low quality film. Does anyone know?
Ok- I just thought stock tint was more like 20%

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manager just informed me that the job will take a little bit longer than expected because they don’t have the 2019 dimensions for the windows in their plotter. So the tech is having to hand cut the film to get the proper fit. No big deal.

Yes the window tint on the new 19 was put on last week and he always does it by hand and is very good at it. Sorry I never mentioned it was done by free hand.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the window tint on the new 19 was put on last week and he always does it by hand and is very good at it. Sorry I never mentioned it was done by free hand.

Yeah. This guy has been installing tint for 30 years. He’s old school and does good work.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok- I just thought stock tint was more like 20%

The 30% on the front windows is not quite as dark as the rear windows and back glass. But it's fairly close and this is as dark as this tint shop will install due to Texas law. It's close enough for me.

Also, the installer told me that the back windows and glass are not "tinted" with a film. He called it privacy glass. I took it to mean that the tint is built into the glass when they make it. He said it offers very little in heat reflection but does block UV rays, etc. He also said that a tint film can be added over that glass to provide heat reflection but I'll probably leave them as they are.

The first pic is one I took of the side molding that I recently installed, but you can see the stock window tint. I took the second pic a little while ago and although it's not a great pic, you can get idea of what the 30% looks like compared to factory "tint" on the back windows.

Attachments

• Molding 2.jpg
    Molding 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Tint.jpg
    Tint.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Here are more prices. I had my hood(18") overlaps fenders, under headlights, A-pillar, roof(12") done in Suntek PPF for $485 Canadian, had my 2 front door windows(20%) and back door windows and rear window(5%) done is Suntek Ceramic for $250 Canadian. I think some of you are paying a ridiculous price for this.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@2019REBEL ...if you want it done here in the US, and with Xpel, this is what it costs. Canadians pay more for a lot of stuff but I guess this isn't one of them. I don't know much about Suntek PPF but here Xpel and 3M are the top brands and Xpel is preferred.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
@2019REBEL ...if you want it done here in the US, and with Xpel, this is what it costs. Canadians pay more for a lot of stuff but I guess this isn't one of them. I don't know much about Suntek PPF but here Xpel and 3M are the top brands and Xpel is preferred.

Hmmm Suntek is a American company(Eastman Performance Films) so I wonder why it's not wider known. I had my 2014 Outdoorsman done more than my Rebel and never had a problem with it that's why I went back and got my Rebel done. I have heard of both 3M and Xpel before too.

Users who are viewing this thread