5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating the 4x4 system

Dr. X

Reaction score
Literally bought my truck to turn into a primary overlanding rig, then I learn of the TC issues from a guy on YouTube. Hopefully it’s not as bad as it sounds…

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Literally bought my truck to turn into a primary overlanding rig, then I learn of the TC issues from a guy on YouTube. Hopefully it’s not as bad as it sounds…
Good luck to you. If anyone is going to actually use it for off roading stay away from the G/T or any rig with the 44-44.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably not as bad as it sounds. This thread will be 4 years old in a couple months. If it was a widespread problem there would be many more threads and complaints, like water leaks at the back window or sub par air conditioning.

I've had mine up to the axles in loose beach sand. For 10-15 minutes in 4 Lo the RPMs were well above 2k, oil temp was over 230 F, and I was in full pucker mode. Not a peep from the 4x4 system

Edit: The ones that are overheating have an underlying problem and not a design flaw

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems more like an awd problem and I still see people talking about it

Dr. X

Reaction score
Probably not as bad as it sounds. This thread will be 4 years old in a couple months. If it was a widespread problem there would be many more threads and complaints, like water leaks at the back window or sub par air conditioning.

I've had mine up to the axles in loose beach sand. For 10-15 minutes in 4 Lo the RPMs were well above 2k, oil temp was over 230 F, and I was in full pucker mode. Not a peep from the 4x4 system

Edit: The ones that are overheating have an underlying problem and not a design flaw
That’s fair, I have had some difficulty finding this issue throughout forums and YouTube. I think it really only occurs during more technical, rougher off roading

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i think also happens when people are just punching it … but other day i had my steering pump say it was over heating and i was in mud / with 35pcs of 5/8 sheet rock hHa deep mud in. mountains

codla

Reaction score
Ok, i was looking how to solve "4x4 overheating", connected to transfer case with alfaobd and here is option for short period lock 4x4, and watch live diagnostic, when i did lock 4x4 desired torque was 1750, front wheels suddenly drop from 800 to 0 and rear spin on ice. So desided remove TC, after desmantele it I found burnt clutches truck had only 8000. just insteled used transfer case from another truck just and now it drives perfect. No any more problem 4x4. Ps truck was after accident and not covered by waranty in Europe

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, i was looking how to solve "4x4 overheating", connected to transfer case with alfaobd and here is option for short period lock 4x4, and watch live diagnostic, when i did lock 4x4 desired torque was 1750, front wheels suddenly drop from 800 to 0 and rear spin on ice. So desided remove TC, after desmantele it I found burnt clutches truck had only 8000. just insteled used transfer case from another truck just and now it drives perfect. No any more problem 4x4. Ps truck was after accident and not covered by waranty in Europe
This is the problem with the 44-44. I can't imagine why they choose to use it when the 44-45 is available.

Users who are viewing this thread