5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overhead console is inoperable

ashleyr

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

33,500 miles

Yesterday I noticed that the map lights on the overhead console were no longer turning on after pressing the buttons and opening the doors. The only button that did anything was the one that opens the rear window. Took it to the dealership to have it checked out, the console has "failed" and a new one has been ordered so the old one can be replaced.

Has anyone else had an issue? Surprised that the whole thing has to be replaced, something major must have happened inside.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

33,500 miles

Yesterday I noticed that the map lights on the overhead console were no longer turning on after pressing the buttons and opening the doors. The only button that did anything was the one that opens the rear window. Took it to the dealership to have it checked out, the console has "failed" and a new one has been ordered so the old one can be replaced.

Has anyone else had an issue? Surprised that the whole thing has to be replaced, something major must have happened inside.
All it means is that the individual part is not available separately. Probably a small circuit board.

When I worked for Toyota, we had a ton of Tacomas with dead overhead displays. The fix was to replace the entire overhead unit for about $900. After they ate enough in warranty, the actual electronic part became available. Two minutes extra labor saved several hundred bucks per vehicle.

Dlr121

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

33,500 miles

I noticed the same problem with my ram last week. I haven't scheduled a appointment yet.

RamCares

Reaction score
I noticed the same problem with my ram last week. I haven't scheduled a appointment yet.

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern, Dlr121. Once you are able to get an appointment scheduled, please follow up with us via private message to advise. If it would be of interest, we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support while you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

rnoggle

Reaction score
Exactly! There is a small circuit board inside the console. The lights all operate thru this.

BLB

Reaction score
Just had mine looked at, seems to be a wide issue. Dealership had to order a new one, hoping it fixes it

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen to me a couple of times. I was able to reset it by removing the console (two 8mm fasteners inside sunglass storage cubby), and then remove with a plastic trim removal tool. Unplug and reseat all the plugs in the self contained console, and reinstall. That did it for me twice. Next time I will take it to the dealer since no one should have to do that, but at least it got it working for me right away. This issue made the lights, sunroof, and tailgate button inoperable.

Cheers,

Osmen

Reaction score
Have the same issue. Sunroof buttons works, but light doesnt. Went to the dealer few times. He says that they know about this problem but how to fix it doesnt know. Change overhead consol for new one also says doesnt help. And says that need just to disconect negative cable from batery for 10 mins. Ok, yes it helps, but if you need to do it 2-3 times in week. It is very anoying. Guys who have same problem how you solved it if you solved it? Truck is 2 months old, 5300km.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Have the same issue. Sunroof buttons works, but light doesnt. Went to the dealer few times. He says that they know about this problem but how to fix it doesnt know. Change overhead consol for new one also says doesnt help. And says that need just to disconect negative cable from batery for 10 mins. Ok, yes it helps, but if you need to do it 2-3 times in week. It is very anoying. Guys who have same problem how you solved it if you solved it? Truck is 2 months old, 5300km.
Agree. Very annoying. Mine has not done it in several months. Could have been fixed with a software update while I had it in for service. I'll know for sure if it happens again.

KiyLux

Reaction score
Mine is along the same lines, but opposite buttons working. In my case, none of the buttons related to sunroof work (sunroof open/close, sunroof up/down tilt, or sunshade open/close). All other buttons work such as the lights and rear window. However, mine only seems to be an issue on the first startup after an overnight park and after I have been driving the truck for more than 10 mins, the buttons seem to operate again as nothing is wrong. Anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

I also checked all the fuses just for good measure and nothing wrong, which was expected as they operate as normal after the truck has been running for a while.

RamCares

Reaction score
Mine is along the same lines, but opposite buttons working. In my case, none of the buttons related to sunroof work (sunroof open/close, sunroof up/down tilt, or sunshade open/close). All other buttons work such as the lights and rear window. However, mine only seems to be an issue on the first startup after an overnight park and after I have been driving the truck for more than 10 mins, the buttons seem to operate again as nothing is wrong. Anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

I also checked all the fuses just for good measure and nothing wrong, which was expected as they operate as normal after the truck has been running for a while.

Hi KiyLux,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here, we kindly recommend following up with your local Ram dealer for further support.

Mark
RamCares

henshawzm

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

33,500 miles

I just began having this issue as well. When taken to the dealer, is this something that you are having to pay out of pocket or are they covering it if still under warranty??

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just began having this issue as well. When taken to the dealer, is this something that you are having to pay out of pocket or are they covering it if still under warranty??
Warranty, as long as you’re within the 3yr/36k mi window, so time is running out for you...

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed this issue today with my 2020 with 3,200 miles on it. Not impressed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe I should try using those buttons occasionally. I've opened my sunroof exactly three times and the rear slider maybe a dozen in the 15 months I've owned the Laramie. With my luck I'll want to start using them after the warranty expires, and then I'll have to pay out of pocket to fix it LOL

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

33,500 miles

I bought a very early production 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. Not one problem until September 2021 with 26,000 miles. Now the overhead console lights do not work nor the tailgate release button. I took it to the dealership, and they are going to order a replacement console. I am just wondering how long it might take to get it fixed with the current backlog on certain electrical parts.

Reaction score
Noticed this issue today with my 2020 with 3,200 miles on it. Not impressed.
I have the same problem with my 2019 and 26,000 miles. The dealership has ordered a new console for it. Otherwise, it has been the best truck I ever owned with plenty of power, gets the best mileage of any full sized Truck I've owned for the past 60 years, and it rides like my wife's Mercedes ML 350.

Reaction score
I’ve had this happen to me a couple of times. I was able to reset it by removing the console (two 8mm fasteners inside sunglass storage cubby), and then remove with a plastic trim removal tool. Unplug and reseat all the plugs in the self contained console, and reinstall. That did it for me twice. Next time I will take it to the dealer since no one should have to do that, but at least it got it working for me right away. This issue made the lights, sunroof, and tailgate button inoperable.

Cheers,
Thanks for all the good info. I think I will keep the old one after the dealership replaces it. This seems to be a very frequent problem. This is the only problem I have had on an otherwise fantastic vehicle.

mwalkuski

Reaction score

Cheers,
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, did the problem ever happen for you again? If so what did you end up doing? Literally just had this problem happen to me and unplugging and replugging worked even when disconnecting the battery did not. Will see if it happens again.

Unfortunately we are out of warranty so it's really sad to see so many people having this problem. This is just another item to add to our long list of problems with this truck. Ugh....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, did the problem ever happen for you again? If so what did you end up doing? Literally just had this problem happen to me and unplugging and replugging worked even when disconnecting the battery did not. Will see if it happens again.

Unfortunately we are out of warranty so it's really sad to see so many people having this problem. This is just another item to add to our long list of problems with this truck. Ugh....
It happened one other time after that. Pretty annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/