5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of warranty with leaking rear window on 2020 limited

PNW Guy

Reaction score
So, I have the same problem from leaking somewhere in the rear. Out of warranty. There is a lot of water inside the 3rd brake light shell. Where are you guys applying the sealant. Are you taking the light off and resealing it, or just keeping it in place and placing sealant around it?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of exhaust gasses are not going thru the catalytic converters? Splitting hairs perhaps... But a fact. Ask California :rolleyes:
Right but yet a cracked manifold is NOT covered by emissions warranty. It is covered by powertain warranty.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Right but yet a cracked manifold is NOT covered by emissions warranty. It is covered by powertain warranty.
While still under powertrain warranty, after that, it still effects emissions.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While still under powertrain warranty, after that, it still effects emissions.
WTF is wrong with people.... I never said it didn't did I. Now show me where the manifold is covered by the "6 year 60k mile emissions warranty" as stated above. I will wait.

6of36

Reaction score
WTF is wrong with people.... I never said it didn't did I. Now show me where the manifold is covered by the "6 year 60k mile emissions warranty" as stated above. I will wait.
It's real simple, leaking exhaust effects emissions. the federal government makes companies repair ANY emissions until then. Call the EPA. This is not the thread for this anyway.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's real simple, leaking exhaust effects emissions. the federal government makes companies repair ANY emissions until then. Call the EPA. This is not the thread for this anyway.
Go ahead and show me in the warranty where exhaust manifold is covered by federal emissions warranty. I am more than happy to run the labor op on your vin for you so you can see that is not a covered part by emissions warranty. You are giving incorrect information on what is covered by emissions warranty vs powertrain warranty.

JM-PE

Reaction score
So, I have the same problem from leaking somewhere in the rear. Out of warranty. There is a lot of water inside the 3rd brake light shell. Where are you guys applying the sealant. Are you taking the light off and resealing it, or just keeping it in place and placing sealant around it?
I removed the light.

For my situation:

I have a vertical crack over the driver side of the square sliding window on the inside of the truck. This area is where I noticed water entering the truck. I also noticed this crack on top when I removed the third light on the outside. There is a gap between the bottom of the light and the top of the window frame on the outside of the truck. This gap runs along the back window down to the sides. I sealed with a urethane sealant from end to end just above the sliding window to start. Currently I am in my waiting period to let the sealant cure. There is a YouTube clip of someone doing this on a 2019 and it worked for him. He used a silicone product. I covered this whole area with sealant where the crack existed along with the rest of the area afore-mentioned. I used masking tape on the top of the glass to help minimize any mess.

My research resulted in possible sources when water is coming from the top.

1. Shark fin antenna. Gasket and/or sealing is not properly working. I found a YouTube clip that someone did to address.
2. Brake light itself. The seal is poor, the gasket is not lining up properly, or the gasket material is not durable enough. YouTube has someone addressing this.
3. Seal around entire back window is poor or the frame is cracked somewhere. Someone on YouTube did a seal job around the entire window to address this but don’t know if it worked out for them.

Sigep924

Reaction score
Manifold is covered by 6 year 60k emissions warranty.

Did they say why the glass replacement was denied?
They said the extended warranty doesn't cover glass at which time I told them the glass is fine. It's obviously a factory defect in the manufacturing since there is no wear and tear on the frame itself. I filed a claim with Ram customer care so we'll see how that goes.

JM-PE

Reaction score
Update:

I have contacted RamCare and they told me that they do not and will not address leaking windows that are out of warranty. I clearly told them that the leak is located at the top of the plastic window frame and the frame is cracked on the driver side of the sliding window. To summarize, I will have to come out of pocket own my own to resolve on this 2020 limited RAM. Chrysler does not think this ongoing issue that has been presented in this forum warrants a review by the company. I asked if there is a way to communicate up the ladder of the concerns. I was advised that there is no one to send it to. I also asked if they are tracking these concerns when someone contacts RamCares when they are tagged in these forums. I would hope they are in order to develop enough traction to have a recall or some type of design review/fix that would eliminate this issue. I got the impression that Chrysler does not keep track of the complaints and likely will not address the complaints. I was being pretty persistent, respectful, and strongly expressed by feelings with not understanding why this is not a concern for Chrysler and someone needs to escalate this so that RAM owners could get this issue resolved without coming out of pocket. The RamCare representative eventually hung up on me.

I have had 7 Chrysler products in my automobile life. This will be my last.

For the record, I will find a way to stop the leak on my own. I have tried a few things and the leak still exists.

6of36

Reaction score
Update:

I have contacted RamCare and they told me that they do not and will not address leaking windows that are out of warranty. I clearly told them that the leak is located at the top of the plastic window frame and the frame is cracked on the driver side of the sliding window. To summarize, I will have to come out of pocket own my own to resolve on this 2020 limited RAM. Chrysler does not think this ongoing issue that has been presented in this forum warrants a review by the company. I asked if there is a way to communicate up the ladder of the concerns. I was advised that there is no one to send it to. I also asked if they are tracking these concerns when someone contacts RamCares when they are tagged in these forums. I would hope they are in order to develop enough traction to have a recall or some type of design review/fix that would eliminate this issue. I got the impression that Chrysler does not keep track of the complaints and likely will not address the complaints. I was being pretty persistent, respectful, and strongly expressed by feelings with not understanding why this is not a concern for Chrysler and someone needs to escalate this so that RAM owners could get this issue resolved without coming out of pocket. The RamCare representative eventually hung up on me.

I have had 7 Chrysler products in my automobile life. This will be my last.

For the record, I will find a way to stop the leak on my own. I have tried a few things and the leak still exists.
That is actually normal for all manufacturers. When you are out of warranty, you are out of warranty. Sometimes they do occasional good will repairs for just out of warranty complaints. Recalls are only for safety issues. GM had problems with oil leaks on 5.7 engines, due to poorly manufactured intake manifolds. Every one leaked. I worked for a city, that had 75 to 100, that all had the problem. GM did nothing. Unless there is a class action lawsuit, and Stellantis happens to lose, there is nothing anyone can do.

Marqiiz

Reaction score
I had the same issue as you. I have a 2020 Laramie 1500.
I live in southern California and we had a lot of rain this year. The carpet underneath the back seats was soaked after all the rain. We took our truck to Anaheim Dodge and they took care of it. Although it took 2 months and not all the plastic pieces were snapped back into place 100%. Luckily they took it right in.
Might I add this isn't the dealer that I bought it from. Maybe try different dealerships...?

Users who are viewing this thread