5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of warranty with leaking rear window on 2020 limited

JM-PE

Reaction score
I am having the same issue in my 2020 limited that a number of people in this forum have stated. This truck has the panoramic sunroof. Several months ago, I started to notice an a great deal of condensation forming on the windows after overnight parking and while driving during various weather conditions. I am talking about big water drops that collects enough to run down the windows (after overnight parking). I always felt like air (varying humidity levels in vs out of vehicle) is somehow to causing the condensation to form. The fogging would always would be a challenge to address on warm humid nights while driving. While getting my child out of the truck one day, I noticed that the seat next to the car seat had water droplets. Looking for the source, I noticed the dripping from the top of the sliding window. After this discovery, I thought the window was slightly open never connecting this to the condensation issue. I didn’t pay it much attention until I notice it during a rain event. There I noticed a crack that others have mentioned in the frame and water pouring in. To combat this, I put tape around/over the 3rd light and it still leaks. After doing some further investigation and reading about others’ experiences, I discovered both the headliner and floor are constantly wet. I now have concerns with my 3 year old who has to sit in the backseat being adversely affected by mold and mildew and getting wet during a rain event. For a truck that costs this much, things like this shouldn’t be happening. I also read that this water can make the airbags in that area to not function properly and cause some other electrical problems. This is another concern of mine. I to am also out if the bumper to bumper warranty.

Has Anyone gotten this resolved thru the dealer without being advised that it will not be covered due to expired warranty?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ram doesn't offer a "bumper to bumper warranty"

If you are lucky you might get the window replaced, probably not the interior.

Hope your dealership likes you because they are the only ones that can help you with this (through warranty or trying to push it through an expired warranty)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am having the same issue in my 2020 limited that a number of people in this forum have stated. This truck has the panoramic sunroof. Several months ago, I started to notice an a great deal of condensation forming on the windows after overnight parking and while driving during various weather conditions. I am talking about big water drops that collects enough to run down the windows (after overnight parking). I always felt like air (varying humidity levels in vs out of vehicle) is somehow to causing the condensation to form. The fogging would always would be a challenge to address on warm humid nights while driving. While getting my child out of the truck one day, I noticed that the seat next to the car seat had water droplets. Looking for the source, I noticed the dripping from the top of the sliding window. After this discovery, I thought the window was slightly open never connecting this to the condensation issue. I didn’t pay it much attention until I notice it during a rain event. There I noticed a crack that others have mentioned in the frame and water pouring in. To combat this, I put tape around/over the 3rd light and it still leaks. After doing some further investigation and reading about others’ experiences, I discovered both the headliner and floor are constantly wet. I now have concerns with my 3 year old who has to sit in the backseat being adversely affected by mold and mildew and getting wet during a rain event. For a truck that costs this much, things like this shouldn’t be happening. I also read that this water can make the airbags in that area to not function properly and cause some other electrical problems. This is another concern of mine. I to am also out if the bumper to bumper warranty.

Has Anyone gotten this resolved thru the dealer without being advised that it will not be covered due to expired warranty?
Sunroof or not makes zero difference on if you will have the rear window leak.

It shouldnt be happening, but it's a well documented issues and Rams aren't the only trucks with issues. There are numerous other threads about this, along with some "fixes" you can try at home if you can't get dealer to work with you.

As for mold, get the interior detailed. On hot summer days, leave the truck parked outside with all windows and sunroof open to let it air out and dry. If you park in a garage open the windows when you park.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram doesn't offer a "bumper to bumper warranty"

If you are lucky you might get the window replaced, probably not the interior.

Hope your dealership likes you because they are the only ones that can help you with this (through warranty or trying to push it through an expired warranty)
No company offers a true bumper to bumper warranty, they offer limited warranties. Get over it.

Depends on the dealer and his service history. Meaning, are they a good customer with the dealer, do they service their vehicles with them. This actually goes a long way to get a "goodwill" repair. They(the dealer and Ram) would repair the leak and any consequential damages caused by the failed part/leak.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tag Ramcares. There are so many, they may help get authorized, to avoid class action suits.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No company offers a true bumper to bumper warranty, they offer limited warranties. Get over it.
GMC offers a bumper to bumper warranty. Their words not mine
New Vehicle Limited Warranty Bumper-to-Bumper (Includes Tires) .
Coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first
Powertrain . Coverage is provided for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Powertrain . Coverage is provided for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
Notice it says "limited" meaning there are exceptions you have to read fine print on

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You really digging there for that 2018 model year. You do know it is a limited warranty. It is still not a true bumper to bumper warranty, no matter how hard you try. There will always be exclusions.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Notice it says "limited" meaning there are exceptions you have to read fine print on
I did.

Repairs Covered The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle due to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts
Pages 8-11 shows exclusion, but it is an actual bumper to bumper that appears to cover everything except maintenance items (including head light housings unlike ram)

Would cover a broken window and getting the carpet replaced too.

You really digging there for that 2018 model year. You do know it is a limited warranty. It is still not a true bumper to bumper warranty, no matter how hard you try. There will always be exclusions.
Not digging. You can look for a newer one.
I owned a 2018 so thats why I grabbed that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did.

Repairs Covered The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle due to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts
Pages 8-11 shows exclusion, but it is an actual bumper to bumper that appears to cover everything except maintenance items (including head light housings unlike ram)

Would cover a broken window and getting the carpet replaced too.

Not digging. You can look for a newer one.
I owned a 2018 so thats why I grabbed that.
Ram would cover headlight housings if it was a factory defect.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ram would cover headlight housings if it was a factory defect.
Not from the threads I have seen here.
LED not working are a factory defect and people get those warranty claims denied all the time it seems.
Someone had an entire housing, another person just had the bottom brow broken.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LED not working are a factory defect and people get those warranty claims denied all the time it seems.
LED not working from the factory would be a factory defect. If you have 30K Mike's in the truck, it definitely wasn't a factory defect at that point. Working with electronics for most of my career, there is no 100% guaranteed service life for them. You can have one LED that will work for 10 years and another that died in 3. Both made in same factory during same time frame. Voltage fluctuations with the 12v system on vehicles causes issues, and are hard to manage based on factory options and any aftermarket electrical loads added

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are seeing extended warranties declining coverage.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
LED not working from the factory would be a factory defect. If you have 30K Mike's in the truck, it definitely wasn't a factory defect at that point. Working with electronics for most of my career, there is no 100% guaranteed service life for them. You can have one LED that will work for 10 years and another that died in 3. Both made in same factory during same time frame. Voltage fluctuations with the 12v system on vehicles causes issues, and are hard to manage based on factory options and any aftermarket electrical loads added
LEDs don't go out like halogen bulbs.
If they die under 5-10 years that's a defect.
I can't even count how many LED bulbs I have gotten replaced under warranty, most are 10-20 year warranty.

You are seeing extended warranties declining coverage.
No, it was the factory warranty.
Extended warranties are shams.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't even count how many LED bulbs I have gotten replaced under warranty, most are 10-20 year warranty.

LEDs, just like any other lighting don't have a X number of years warranty. It's based off operating hours. Which is not something they can measure unless you have a timer on the circuit

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This one? You are in the thread. Show us where Ram declined a headlamp that wasn't covered by 3/36.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
LEDs, just like any other lighting don't have a X number of years warranty. It's based off operating hours. Which is not something they can measure unless you have a timer on the circuit
I mean I could go through and post every warranty...
This is the cheapest LED I have ever bought at $1 a bulb and even this has a 5 year warranty.
1679262532307.png

Here's a "vintage" amber LED bulb, 5 year also
1679262705633.png

Heres another one
1679263139623.png

And ill save you the math.
Using the bulb 3 hours a day for 5 years is 5475 hours, i'm sure these peoples trucks are nowhere even close to that even on engine time with lights out.

Here is the warranty on the 2 lights I just got from Diode Dynamics. 8 year on these ones.

1679263282928.png
1679263302579.png

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean I could go through and post every warranty...

Please do. Should be easy for such a smart person.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Please do. Should be easy for such a smart person.
?????????????????????????
I was talking about post every warranty for every LED bulb I have.
What are you fishing for?

Users who are viewing this thread