5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of warranty.. what now? Lol

Iridium

Reaction score
Went this past weekend on a long trip to Kings Canyon National Park. Had a blast and also somewhat of a heart attack with the damn guard-less roads up there up to 6k feet in elevation.. terrible when the sun is blinding you in crazy windy roads but anyway..

My trucks warranty is over midway through the trip and realized I have to be attentive to the trucks maintenance which is nothing new to me so this new journey with my first truck seems pretty good so far.

Crossing my fingers I have no major mechanical issues down the road and that the truck lasts long. (Well over 500k if possible) from how the market is looking this will definitely be my forever truck.

Nothing exciting here just figured I’d jot something down here on the forum. Haha

I also installed the Gator EFX tonneau cover before the trip. Took less than 30 min. To install. Looks great and I’m glad with the overall purchase of the tonneau cover.

Attachments

• CA0F81C6-DA4D-4FBC-B3AE-4D0936AE5D39.jpeg
    CA0F81C6-DA4D-4FBC-B3AE-4D0936AE5D39.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1034B7AC-D3C5-4838-B3AB-9D123723F6B2.jpeg
    1034B7AC-D3C5-4838-B3AB-9D123723F6B2.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 15

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Went this past weekend on a long trip to Kings Canyon National Park. Had a blast and also somewhat of a heart attack with the damn guard-less roads up there up to 6k feet in elevation.. terrible when the sun is blinding you in crazy windy roads but anyway..

My trucks warranty is over midway through the trip and realized I have to be attentive to the trucks maintenance which is nothing new to me so this new journey with my first truck seems pretty good so far.

Crossing my fingers I have no major mechanical issues down the road and that the truck lasts long. (Well over 500k if possible) from how the market is looking this will definitely be my forever truck.

Nothing exciting here just figured I’d jot something down here on the forum. Haha

I also installed the Gator EFX tonneau cover before the trip. Took less than 30 min. To install. Looks great and I’m glad with the overall purchase of the tonneau cover.
good info here;

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all the money I have saved by not buying an extended warranty on the two dozen or so new vehicles I've purchased I can afford the occasional out of warranty repair. Extended warranties are only valuable for people living paycheck to paycheck who can't afford an unexpected repair cost.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all the money I have saved by not buying an extended warranty on the two dozen or so new vehicles I've purchased I can afford the occasional out of warranty repair. Extended warranties are only valuable for people living paycheck to paycheck who can't afford an unexpected repair cost.
In other words, most of America!

Bubba1120

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Ziegler extended warranties - Ziegler warranty

I had it for my 21 1500 till I decided to trade it in, only cost $1600 for an 8 yr 85000 mile coverage. Plus, they refunded me $1300 for the unused portion. I have it now for the wifes JGC that we decided to buy out from the lease. To me, $1600 bucks, and a $200 deductible is well worth the money

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me, $1600 bucks, and a $200 deductible is well worth the money

For most people it will not be worth the money. Extended warranties cover the period of time when cars are the most reliable. The primary coverage benefit starts after the manufactures warranty has expired and by then most of the bugs have been worked out. They end before most cars start to deteriorate from high mileage and old age. In the last 40 years I have saved well over $20,000 by not purchasing extended warranties on at least 22 new cars I purchased. My biggest repair bill for a period that would have been covered by an extended warranty was around $600 and total I've not spend more than $2500 on repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty. I would hate to have to spend $6 - 8K on a new motor or transmission but if I had to for some reason I would still be way ahead.

Extended warranties are not sold for your financial benefit; they are sold to financially benefit those who sell the warranties. The cost of an extended warranty is only worth it to those selling the warranty.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For most people it will not be worth the money. Extended warranties cover the period of time when cars are the most reliable. The primary coverage benefit starts after the manufactures warranty has expired and by then most of the bugs have been worked out. They end before most cars start to deteriorate from high mileage and old age. In the last 40 years I have saved well over $20,000 by not purchasing extended warranties on at least 22 new cars I purchased. My biggest repair bill for a period that would have been covered by an extended warranty was around $600 and total I've not spend more than $2500 on repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty. I would hate to have to spend $6 - 8K on a new motor or transmission but if I had to for some reason I would still be way ahead.

Extended warranties are not sold for your financial benefit; they are sold to financially benefit those who sell the warranties. The cost of an extended warranty is only worth it to those selling the warranty.
If you've purchased 22 new cars, you've likely not owned them long enough for the extended warranty to kick in.
Not quite. According to a MarketWatch poll, only 36% of American's say they might be unable to afford an auto repair bill over $500.

I would guess that % is a lot smaller for people who are buying $50,000+ trucks.
You said paycheck to paycheck and THAT'S what I was referring to...
Screenshot_20240803_135703_Chrome.jpg

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll add that on another forum that I'm on, a fellow is posting Stellantis is taking a long time to approve MaxCare warranty claims.

I bought my MaxCare for my Ram while it was FCA and I never heard any issues getting items covered. Not sure I'd buy it now (or the Ram for that matter)...

Edited to add - I paid $3060 in Jan 2023 to get the 5yr/75k MaxCare plan. I just looked and that same plan costs $4590 today...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll add that on another forum that I'm on, a fellow is posting Stellantis is taking a long time to approve MaxCare warranty claims.

I bought my MaxCare for my Ram while it was FCA and I never heard any issues getting items covered. Not sure I'd buy it now (or the Ram for that matter)...

Edited to add - I paid $3060 in Jan 2023 to get the 5yr/75k MaxCare plan. I just looked and that same plan costs $4590 today...
I'm with you, "Not sure I'd buy it now". I have the lifetime warranty and it has been 2 months so far just waiting for the motor. This past Monday the advisor said the motor was coming in this week but I did not receive any update and I can expect another month once the motor comes in. Looked at a 2025 and invoice pricing was 58,470 for my build, msrp 61720 from what I recall. You lose a lot of confidence in a company when the motor goes at 40011 miles with no indicators of a failure. No info on cause of failure at this point.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also usually don’t buy extended warranties but this time around I did. I believe the one I got through my credit union was 3k or so. I’ve already got my money back due to having to take this truck to the dealer 3 times. I’ve had the water pump replaced, intermediate shaft, cv axles, 2 exhaust manifolds, oil cooler lines and transfer case replaced. All totaling well over the price I had to come out of pocket for the warranty. My thought process is these vehicles jammed full of tech and wizardry(and poor manufacturing) are more troublesome and harder to diagnose and outside of my scope as a DIY mechanic. Just my opinion but I think warranties are worth it!

Bubba1120

Reaction score

For me, I have traditionally avoided extended warranties, since I have been leasing two vehicles every three years for a while now. But now, and from past experiences feel like its a good buy in case a heater core or front end goes out. On my 21 Ram, the Heater core would have been $1800 if not for the warranty

Majortom

Reaction score
So I’m confused. If extended warranty is not your preferred option, and you do your regular maintenance as scheduled, what advise are you looking for from this group? I’m not being flippant, I just don’t understand what the question is.

Users who are viewing this thread