5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Others Flashing Brights At Me

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn’t happen often, but the other night even with suspension in aero, a very small car flashed from a fair distance, I ignore, they put them on constant, I think idiot (or something less polite) and I flash back, their are quite close and still on so on go mine, we pass with both still on, I bet I could see better.
I know that game. Fortunately, I don't encounter it often.

What is common here, unfortunately, is the proliferation of vehicles using improperly-fitting (and illegal) retrofit LEDs in halogen housings, generally producing terrible optics/glare. I've seen little to no enforcement in banning these. I find myself having to shield my eyes at night from vehicles that I know do NOT have their high beams turned on; they're just blinding all oncoming drivers with their latest internet purchase. I'm hoping that the majority of OEM headlights shift to DOT-approved LED housings in the next few years, as it will begin to alleviate this issue.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I get flashed a couple times a week, always a small car that flashes me.. I've checked alignment and everything looks good.. I have the regular halogen headlights however I do always have my foglights on.

Twoamen

Reaction score
Opinionated remark: in case there are sensitive individuals who read these forums.:cry:
I've been flashed or Steady bright in lieu of flash 3 times, driving my truck for 18 months. So I think its malcontents who would **** an moan regardless. Besides they chose those mini death trap, ground scraping vehicles. Save a buck on gas, put the money towards the funerals.
We have a red light and it has a slight rise, across traffic is a truck stop. The trucks pull up and flash you when I have on low beams. I laugh and figure put your shades on I'm not turning off lights, waiting on a ticket from Maryland's Toll facility police who will ticket you for smiling.

Lize

Reaction score
What is common here, unfortunately, is the proliferation of vehicles using improperly-fitting (and illegal) retrofit LEDs in halogen housings, generally producing terrible optics/glare. I've seen little to no enforcement in banning these.
Same here and all sorts of other additional lights plus badly aligned headlights pointing at the sky.
I'm hoping that the majority of OEM headlights shift to DOT-approved LED housings in the next few years, as it will begin to alleviate this issue.
Our lights are supposed to be European approved and E marked, I've had several import vehicles that don't have these markings and its never been a problem although sometimes there can be an exception to rules for imports. Lights and their adjustment should be checked at annual safety checks (MOT) once a vehicle is 3 years old which is done by authorised garages and in theory should pickup light problems but they don't seem to, I've even seen Police cars with one badly adjusted blinding headlight.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Got flashed at a light twice then the moron just turned his high beams on, I could of flashed him back but I’m not a a$$hole and didn’t want to blind the other people waiting at the light. The funny thing is he was in a Chevy car which someone mentioned would be blinded. The stupid part was he decided to blind the people next to me with his tantrum, because of my ride height it didn’t really bother me at all, so I guess he showed me I don’t get people sometimes, would have loved to give him a taste but unlike this guy I know I’m not the only one on the road that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got flashed at a light twice then the moron just turned his high beams on, I could of flashed him back but I’m not a a$$hole and didn’t want to blind the other people waiting at the light. The funny thing is he was in a Chevy car which someone mentioned would be blinded. The stupid part was he decided to blind the people next to me with his tantrum, because of my ride height it didn’t really bother me at all, so I guess he showed me I don’t get people sometimes, would have loved to give him a taste but unlike this guy I know I’m not the...
A quick flash would have been instructive without too much inconvenience to anyone, don’t you think?

Kob0583

Reaction score
Sure would have except the driver started their behavior before I realized it was directed at me, again many vehicles at this light not just me. (Huge intersection) The first time he flashed them I wasn’t even sure they did as the cross traffic was going through the intersection, the second time they did it I asked my brother in law who was with me who he was flashing, that was followed by their wonderful behavior of just turning their high beams on. the issue they had still wouldn’t be improved by blinding other drivers. This also seemed to be the only vehicle that took issue with my lights and the only time I’ve been flashed. So yes I could have but I think it would have just been antagonizing the other drive at that point. To me it seemed like a simple case of a impatient driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure would have except the driver started their behavior before I realized it was directed at me, again many vehicles at this light not just me. (Huge intersection) The first time he flashed them I wasn’t even sure they did as the cross traffic was going through the intersection, the second time they did it I asked my brother in law who was with me who he was flashing, that was followed by their wonderful behavior of just turning their high beams on. the issue they had still wouldn’t be improved by blinding other drivers. This also seemed to be the only vehicle that took issue with my lights and the only time I’ve been flashed. So yes I could have but I think it would have just been antagonizing the other drive at that point. To me it seemed like a simple case of a impatient driver.
Understood. But look at it from the other driver’s perspective. If they thought you had your brights on, and you ignored their courtesy flash to let you know (in case you were unaware), then they might feel justified in turning theirs on as well. Growing up in the Midwest, this was common etiquette.

So the other driver was in the wrong, but they had no way of knowing. A quick flash from you would have made them aware of their mistake instead of letting the situation escalate.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I finally got flashed driving to my mom's house around Christmas. The other driver flashed their lights and then left the high beams on. I flashed mine back and when he didn't back down, I left my high beams on. I'm light sensitive, so it hurt and started to blind me, then the only way for ME to see was to leave my high beams on. This was on a twisty 2-lane back road. My wife was mad at me for leaving the highs on, but she wasn't driving so she didn't get a say in high beam usage.

Boy those LED headlights are bright :D

I also noticed the adaptive part of them when going around some corners - you could tell they were rotating back and forth with the steering wheel, pretty cool feature. I haven't had that since my 2009 Lincoln MKS.

-John

derp

Reaction score
I finally got flashed driving to my mom's house around Christmas. The other driver flashed their lights and then left the high beams on. I flashed mine back and when he didn't back down, I left my high beams on. I'm light sensitive, so it hurt and started to blind me, then the only way for ME to see was to leave my high beams on. This was on a twisty 2-lane back road. My wife was mad at me for leaving the highs on, but she wasn't driving so she didn't get a say in high beam usage.

I also noticed the adaptive part of them when going around some corners - you could tell they were rotating back and forth with the steering wheel, pretty cool feature. I haven't had that since my 2009 Lincoln MKS.

-John
the tricky bit there is that the headlights themselves are stationary on my truck, but the fogs turn on each side at a set deflection of the wheel. a great quality of life feature.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the tricky bit there is that the headlights themselves are stationary on my truck, but the fogs turn on each side at a set deflection of the wheel. a great quality of life feature.
That's a very cool feature...although I have my fogs set to 'on' all the time, so I don't get to see it happen :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I also noticed the adaptive part of them when going around some corners - you could tell they were rotating back and forth with the steering wheel, pretty cool feature.
They are pretty awesome. But I'm in the city, and I try not to be a jerk, so I rarely get to experience the high beams. I'm now wanting to take the truck back out of town tonight...

derp

Reaction score
That's a very cool feature...although I have my fogs set to 'on' all the time, so I don't get to see it happen :)

I tend to have them on a lot for residential area driving to make sure I have wider view of what could be coming onto the road (kids on bikes). on the highway, I generally turn them off as a courtesy.

Regarding the whole low car shinedown problem - This is my first truck. the best thing that my cars had was auto dimming rear and side mirrors. this one feature totally ended the truck beams and sunset in the rear view problems. Even low cars make this problem for each other when they are on an incline so it definitely isn't a "why should I change when it's the trucks that suck" problem.

Front and side shinedown if just a visor flip away of a problem. I always check for the extending flip visors to make sure I don't have an inch too little of visor for the problem.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Agreed. About a year ago while out of town, another 2019 Ram driver walked over to me as I pulled into the parking lot of a hotel and parked. He wanted to let me know that one of my fog lights was out. I was puzzled for a moment and then told him, "no, they work like that." I'm not sure he believed me as he walked away.

Lize

Reaction score
Agreed. About a year ago while out of town, another 2019 Ram driver walked over to me as I pulled into the parking lot of a hotel and parked. He wanted to let me know that one of my fog lights was out. I was puzzled for a moment and then told him, "no, they work like that." I'm not sure he believed me as he walked away.
I thought the fog light thing might be a Canadian option but obviously not, do you know if you can switch this off? I couldn't find anything in the manual or the menus but I wasn't sure what its called. I also wondered if the Tazer would let me do this but no one confirmed.

Its not a common feature in the UK and sometimes it looks like other road users mistake its purpose and think I'm turning, usually this happens at roundabout entrances where I turn wheel to the left to enter so the light comes on but I'm actually going straight across and it doesn't go off until almost past the 1st entrance/exit which they have suddenly had to change their mind of pulling out from.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I have the same problem while driving at normal ride height. Has anyone taken it to the dealer for adjustment?

smashweights

Reaction score
I know that game. Fortunately, I don't encounter it often.

What is common here, unfortunately, is the proliferation of vehicles using improperly-fitting (and illegal) retrofit LEDs in halogen housings, generally producing terrible optics/glare. I've seen little to no enforcement in banning these. I find myself having to shield my eyes at night from vehicles that I know do NOT have their high beams turned on; they're just blinding all oncoming drivers with their latest internet purchase. I'm hoping that the majority of OEM headlights shift to DOT-approved LED housings in the next few years, as it will begin to alleviate this issue.

That and people who run their off-road lights and light bars on the street...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get flashed every night I drive, about 4-5 times in a half hour ride home.
I have the same problem while driving at normal ride height. Has anyone taken it to the dealer for adjustment?

Hi ant0064 & VinnyRam,

If you decide to address this with your dealers, please know that our team is just a private message away and happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread