5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Others Flashing Brights At Me

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The IIHS released the 2020 Ram 1500 results. The 2020 outperforms the 2019 LEDs. Here's the interesting part. Apparently FCA changed something related to the 1500 LED headlights starting in Jun 2019 to fix headlight glare for oncoming vehicles. Most 2019 headlights were given a marginal rating for glare. The 2019 LEDs were given a poor rating for excess glare.

At any event the 2020 solution is unknown. It would be nice to know if FCA only corrected the light aiming in production or did they need to fix the plastic lens optic quality, improve reflector design, etc.
Good info. Looking over the IIHS info, it appears the original adaptive LEDs performed BETTER than the revised late 2019-2020 design (from the driver’s perspective) in left curves, but at the expense (as you pointed out) of creating glare for oncoming drivers.

TWRam

Reaction score
I get chicks flashing me all the time when I drive my Ram, especially with the headlights on. They can see the bright LEDs from miles away which gives them time to get their shirts off.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
The IIHS released the 2020 Ram 1500 results. The 2020 outperforms the 2019 LEDs. Here's the interesting part. Apparently FCA changed something related to the 1500 LED headlights starting in Jun 2019 to fix headlight glare for oncoming vehicles. Most 2019 headlights were given a marginal rating for glare. The 2019 LEDs were given a poor rating for excess glare.

At any event the 2020 solution is unknown. It would be nice to know if FCA only corrected the light aiming in production or did they need to fix the plastic lens optic quality, improve reflector design, etc.

I just saw TFL Truck's "Least and Most Safe Trucks" video and came right here to search for the answer as to why June of 2019 is the differentiator between Good and Marginal LED lighting.

Guess we'll never know. Perhaps it has to do with incorporating the active air dam on Limited trucks built in June or July of 2019, as seen in another thread?

Just kidding about that, but I'm curious what they changed. My truck was built in May of 2019, so it has the "old" headlights LOL. I actually don't remember the last time I drove at night, so I have no idea what my headlights look like at night.

-John

ldoh

Reaction score
I guess one bright side is it doesn't affect the owner as much as oncoming traffic. Maybe a similar result to flatulence. :)

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Just flash them back... :D

I haven’t had anyone flash me yet, and I’m constantly worried mine shine way too high.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, i read somewhere said they changed the Optic len inside which made help out the glare problem. I think mine build in 06-19 so idk what mine is but i haven’t had anyone flash me yet.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’ve only had three people flash me since I installed them a few months ago. I think it’s mostly people who just don’t get that these are the new lighting standard and think your brights are on.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the things I like about the Tazer... If I get flashed and then flash my brights back, my Fogs don't drop out so if you thought it was bright before...

dailyherold

Reaction score
I'm looking at used 2019 models and curious how to identify models post May 2019 that have the changes granting the top safety pick+ award? Longhorn or Limited trims only? Any additional packages required (e.g. Advanced safety)? Also manufactured June 2019 or later?

Some research here shows that the number to right of VON on window sticker (bottom section, to right of VIN) is the month and year of manufacture. However looking at that more and I don't think it's accurate as I've seen some 4-digit combos indicating built in 2014...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at used 2019 models and curious how to identify models post May 2019 that have the changes granting the top safety pick+ award? Longhorn or Limited trims only? Any additional packages required (e.g. Advanced safety)? Also manufactured June 2019 or later?

Some research here shows that the number to right of VON on window sticker (bottom section, to right of VIN) is the month and year of manufacture. However looking at that more and I don't think it's accurate as I've seen some 4-digit combos indicating built in 2014...

You cannot use the VON (Vehicle Order Number) to determine the build date. That number is sequentially assigned by computer as dealers place their orders.

On the driver's side door jamb there is a rectangular decal that contains a bar code. In the top left hand corner directly below MFD BY FCA US LLC, is the DATE OF MFD (BUILT):, and a number which expresses the month and day (eg: 06-21) the vehicle passed through all phases of assembly and final acceptance.

In the far right lower corner will be found a MDH: (month/day/hour) and a six digit number. The first two digits denote the month of assembly, the second two digits denote the day, and the third two digits denote the hour. This usually denotes when the assembly process started.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 026031 miles.

dailyherold

Reaction score
Gotcha, so I'll just ask for a picture of door jam sticker if I'm seriously interested. Regarding the lights package IIHS's site broke it down nicely: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup/2019

Laramie with a level 1 package would be minimum for high beam assist, but still led reflectors. Would need to look at Longhorn or Limited built after May 2019 for best rating since they have led projectors and curve assist added.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha, so I'll just ask for a picture of door jam sticker if I'm seriously interested. Regarding the lights package IIHS's site broke it down nicely: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup/2019

Laramie with a level 1 package would be minimum for high beam assist, but still led reflectors. Would need to look at Longhorn or Limited built after May 2019 for best rating since they have led projectors and curve assist added.
My apologies: CORRECTION

On the rectangular decal that contains a bar code, the top left hand corner directly below MFD BY FCA US LLC, is the DATE OF MFD (BUILT):, and a number which expresses the month and year (eg: 06-19) the vehicle passed through all phases of assembly and final acceptance.

I should not compose when I'm tired!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 026031 miles.

nilsfisher24

Reaction score
I get flashed as well. Even in the daytime. I don’t have LEDs. They seem to be aimed correctly. Just bright I guess.....

I don’t have LEDs on mine either. I’ve only been flashed a couple times when I first got my truck. I have the north edition and have the little lift from that.
Hopefully everyone that puts a leveling kit on aims their lights down. I see a lot of trucks with level kits that have super bright lights for the low beams. Look like the Hi beams are on but are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not worry about LED light thing, you still will get flash regardless which build date is, mine build is 06/19 and whenever i got flashed, it is always by some very small little car which i always flash them right back.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The last part is incorrect. The early Limiteds and Longhorns have all of the same features and actually perform better (in terms of driver vision) in the IIHS scoring than the later builds. Unfortunately, they also produce glare to oncoming drivers in left curves, so they were rated accordingly. FCA changed the design to restrict light in this direction—good for oncoming drivers, but not an improvement for Ram drivers; this earned the high overall IIHS rating, even though the restriction resulted in the IIHS lowering the score for light performance in left curves.

Lize

Reaction score
Yes...”Oh, you thought THAT was bright...”
It doesn’t happen often, but the other night even with suspension in aero, a very small car flashed from a fair distance, I ignore, they put them on constant, I think idiot (or something less polite) and I flash back, their are quite close and still on so on go mine, we pass with both still on, I bet I could see better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online