5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORP air suspension settings

Kramersp

Reaction score
I know there was talk about this in the past but now I've read a couple of things that have me second guessing. Does the ORP have the "Off Road 2" setting? Mine wont go to that, it just has Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, and Off Road.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the ORP,
Normal is the equivalent of OR1
OR1 is the equivalent of OR2

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... I presumed the Aero to be the same for either... now to find some measurements...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As stated above , though with more detail:
Normal ram. ORP
OR2. OR2
OR1. Normal
Normal. Aero
Aero. N/A
Entry. Entry

I don't think this is correct. With the ORP, your Aero, Normal, and OR are all 1" higher than non-ORP. Since your ORP OR is 1" higher, that makes it the same as the non-ORP OR2. Also Aero is .6" lower than Normal so the Normal to Aero comparison above is incorrect. E/E is identical on both since you are sitting on the bump stops.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I'll need to track down where I found it, but it appeared OR2 was the same, normal reached OR1.

You are right Aero ORP is still slightly higher than non ORP normal I think.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
Edwards, I think it all depends on how you look at it.

I've looked at it as this thread (which you participated in) https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/off-road-air-suspension-heights.351/page-2

states - namely the OR2 is the same for both, OR1 for a standard truck is "normal" mode for the offload package (hence the 1" difference), Aero is the next step down (and yes, it is apparently 3/4" difference vs the 1" that would equate to "normal" in a standard package truck), and the exit / entry height is in theory the same.

I understand you can view the ORP trucks as only having "OR mode", but really it is the same height as "OR2" in other trucks, so this may just confuse folks.

Personally I wish they'd kept all the levels available, even if the "default" around town mode was OR1. I do wonder if they tweaked the driveline angles or anything (otherwise why not make Aero the same and improve mileage?).

Not trying to be confrontational, just pointing out there is a different also-logical way of looking at it that may be easier for folks to compare the relative truck heights. I fully admit there may be other threads with more information, but that is the one I found and recalled from reading lots of posts while waiting for my truck along with the rest of you:)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edwards, I think it all depends on how you look at it.

I've looked at it as this thread (which you participated in) https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/off-road-air-suspension-heights.351/page-2

states - namely the OR2 is the same for both, OR1 for a standard truck is "normal" mode for the offload package (hence the 1" difference), Aero is the next step down (and yes, it is apparently 3/4" difference vs the 1" that would equate to "normal" in a standard package truck), and the exit / entry height is in theory the same.

I understand you can view the ORP trucks as only having "OR mode", but really it is the same height as "OR2" in other trucks, so this may just confuse folks.

Personally I wish they'd kept all the levels available, even if the "default" around town mode was OR1. I do wonder if they tweaked the driveline angles or anything (otherwise why not make Aero the same and improve mileage?).

Not trying to be confrontational, just pointing out there is a different also-logical way of looking at it that may be easier for folks to compare the relative truck heights. I fully admit there may be other threads with more information, but that is the one I found and recalled from reading lots of posts while waiting for my truck along with the rest of you:)

No worries. It's Ram's confusion to clear up. One thing to note is that the min (E/E) and max (OR w/ORP, OR2 w/o ORP) are identical heights and both have 4" total travel.
Since all ORP positions are 1" higher than NON-ORP (except E/E) that's a simpler way for me to look at it. That +1" makes the ORP OR the same height as the non-ORP OR2 and since that's the max 4" lift, there is no higher position.
If Ram would have just posted a table of the various heights with different packages from day one that would have avoided a lot of customer, and dealer, confusion.

fact mechanic

Reaction score
So is ORP just software coding on air ride trucks? What’s to keep someone from programming a non ORP truck to the ORP height settings?

Trader

Reaction score
So is ORP just software coding on air ride trucks? What’s to keep someone from programming a non ORP truck to the ORP height settings?
The only way to know for sure would be to check the part numbers and I believe I read they are different.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No one's gotten to the bottom of this yet. A few have posted that the struts are different but I've seen no confirmation or part numbers. I had my dealer hook up the computer to see if they could change the "increased ride height" programmed in from the build sheet and their tool couldn't even see it.
So it is definitely a programming change and maybe different hardware. Looks like it will take either a 3rd party programmer like the Alfa or AppCar, or the custom ride height sensor links.
I've not given up on this but have hit some significant roadblocks.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the ORP definition. I ordered the optional group protection which was the 4 skid plates....that would be different than ORP correct? If I may ask?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, ORP has the Protection Group... the Protection Group can be added as a stand alone, and it seems to be three skid plates and not four, it appears the steering and front suspension are covered by the same plate..

Users who are viewing this thread