5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering Laramie - Please help with axle

Which upgrade do I need for occasional Travel Trailer pulling?

• E-Locker Rear Axle

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Off-Road Group that includes E-Locker

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Neither needed for camping, just get the tonneau cover (or an after-market) instead

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tilter

Reaction score
How do you like driving in the snow with e locker Trout? Have you ever had a truck with LSD?

wolf1776

Reaction score
No disrespect to Vader, but only 2 people here recommended E-Locker and at least one cited the main reason being a desire to control it themselves. After doing a lot of research, speaking to the delaership that I ordered my new Laramie from yesterday (Yay!), speaking to the service manager there, a trucker friend and speaking to a friend in the Michigan State police I made the decision to go with the LSD - and I REALLY wanted to go the other way , lol.

I checked a bunch of other sites as well, including the RAM1500 forum and the overwhelming majority seem to think LSD is better for snow and ice and E-Locker by far the better choice for off road.

That said I did NOT get any of this information first-hand, but I fell very comfortable with my decision - I did have previously a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with an LSD and it was terrific in the snow.
Thanks @Tilter. I'll only be dealing with mild snow for a few months out of the year and mostly all roads are plow
My question would be to anyone that recommends LSD over e-lock, have you ever owned a truck with e-lock?
No disrespect to Vader, but only 2 people here recommended E-Locker and at least one cited the main reason being a desire to control it themselves. After doing a lot of research, speaking to the delaership that I ordered my new Laramie from yesterday (Yay!), speaking to the service manager there, a trucker friend and speaking to a friend in the Michigan State police I made the decision to go with the LSD - and I REALLY wanted to go the other way , lol.

I checked a bunch of other sites as well, including the RAM1500 forum and the overwhelming majority seem to think LSD is better for snow and ice and E-Locker by far the better choice for off road.

That said I did NOT get any of this information first-hand, but I fell very comfortable with my decision - I did have previously a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with an LSD and it was terrific in the snow.
Thank you for the feedback! Maybe i'm over thinking it. I dont think i'll be in any crazy snow nor any crazy overroading. I'm guessing the LSD might be a better overall or better for a general all around purpose?

Tilter

Reaction score
If someone changes my mind I hope it’s soon lol.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @Tilter. I'll only be dealing with mild snow for a few months out of the year and mostly all roads are plow

Thank you for the feedback! Maybe i'm over thinking it. I dont think i'll be in any crazy snow nor any crazy overroading. I'm guessing the LSD might be a better overall or better for a general all around purpose?

My 14 was anti-slip, worked well for me. My 19 is e-locker and taking off in rain, acts just like my 14.

I’m leaving for my brother’s cabin in a couple hours to hunt the next couple of days. If one of us does get a shot, inevitably that damn deer will run into the field. I’ll be happy to have the e-locker then. I’ll of course make my brother go first in his Ram...and then I’ll pull him out. ;)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had three 3.92 with LSD and pulled 8000 lbs camper and 6500 lb boat. I also had a 3.21 LSD that would not pull any thing with a load with out loosing traction especially in the snow,gravel with a camper up hill and wet concrete with moss on it at the boat ramp. The 3.92 will pull with very little spin with good traction, with that said the LSD sometimes will not grab well producing just enough slip before "grabbing" that is critical on a slight up grade or steep upgrade when you need no slip at the crucial time. The E-locker will prevent any slip in this type of situations not to mention its off road capabilities when one wheel is not making contact or "light on one side". The 392 only spins hard when you climb in to it....Never want to climb into any thing no matter the gear when pulling or trying to gain traction at very low speed. That is one of the purposes of a 3.92 gear!
You can get the E-lock with a 3.92 gear only.its not available with the 3.21 but you can LSD with the 3.21

The 3.21 is a great gear for small pulls or never towing much at all with any weight over 5000 lbs. The 3.92 is for pulling at low speeds where traction is needed for pulling heavy weight at low speeds needing torque. The 3.92 you can expect lower MPG over the 3.21 by about 2 to 3 mpg for the life of your truck.You can expect higher RPM life as well over the life of the truck. The 3.92 will not "hunt" for lower gears on hill while pulling weight as much as the 3.21 as well on open roads at speeds above 50 MPH.

Hope that helps you.

wolf1776

Reaction score
I have had three 3.92 with LSD and pulled 8000 lbs camper and 6500 lb boat. I also had a 3.21 LSD that would not pull any thing with a load with out loosing traction especially in the snow,gravel with a camper up hill and wet concrete with moss on it at the boat ramp. The 3.92 will pull with very little spin with good traction, with that said the LSD sometimes will not grab well producing just enough slip before "grabbing" that is critical on a slight up grade or steep upgrade when you need no slip at the crucial time. The E-locker will prevent any slip in this type of situations not to mention its off road capabilities when one wheel is not making contact or "light on one side". The 392 only spins hard when you climb in to it....Never want to climb into any thing no matter the gear when pulling or trying to gain traction at very low speed. That is one of the purposes of a 3.92 gear!
You can get the E-lock with a 3.92 gear only.its not available with the 3.21 but you can LSD with the 3.21

The 3.21 is a great gear for small pulls or never towing much at all with any weight over 5000 lbs. The 3.92 is for pulling at low speeds where traction is needed for pulling heavy weight at low speeds needing torque. The 3.92 you can expect lower MPG over the 3.21 by about 2 to 3 mpg for the life of your truck.You can expect higher RPM life as well over the life of the truck. The 3.92 will not "hunt" for lower gears on hill while pulling weight as much as the 3.21 as well on open roads at speeds above 50 MPH.

Hope that helps you.
Thanks for the great info. If you were buying a new truck, lived in North Idaho/Spokane with snow/rain, sometimes launching a boat and occasionally offroading, would you buy the E-locker or LSD for yourself?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. If you were buying a new truck, lived in North Idaho/Spokane with snow/rain, sometimes launching a boat and occasionally offroading, would you buy the E-locker or LSD for yourself?
E-Locker with out question....it will do better than the LSD and will be active at low speeds where its needed when you want it with no slip what so ever. IMO. No one uses lsd at speeds much over 25 mph...also in off road 1 the e-locker will remain engaged up to 40 MPH. I live in S Ohio with rain. Mud,snow and always at boat ramps. Off road once in a while when I go shooting but nothing serious as the E-locker can do if needed. I was so glad they put elock out there as an option over LSD and ordered on mine.

S

Smashy71

I just moved to north Idaho and I have the locker. I’ve used it a lot and love it!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
E-Locker with out question....it will do better than the LSD and will be active at low speeds where its needed when you want it with no slip what so ever. IMO. No one uses lsd at speeds much over 25 mph...also in off road 1 the e-locker will remain engaged up to 40 MPH. I live in S Ohio with rain. Mud,snow and always at boat ramps. Off road once in a while when I go shooting but nothing serious as the E-locker can do if needed. I was so glad they put elock out there as an option over LSD and ordered on mine.
I would agree, but as far as I know, you would need to manually engage the e-locker every time, whereas the LSD is automatic all the time, every time.

runamuck

Reaction score
that was going to be question as I have never had a locking diff till now and I will be heading into snow country soon. I guess it needs to be turned on when you expect to be driving in bad conditions. does it automatically shut off at speed or stay on till switched off.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
that was going to be question as I have never had a locking diff till now and I will be heading into snow country soon. I guess it needs to be turned on when you expect to be driving in bad conditions. does it automatically shut off at speed or stay on till switched off.
It shuts off at 40 MPH to avoid damage, since it's really intended for slower, off-road driving.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would agree, but as far as I know, you would need to manually engage the e-locker every time, whereas the LSD is automatic all the time, every time.
Yes the elock shuts off and on with speed automatically when activated with its switch on/off where LSD must SLIP on one side or the other first before it will engage then trades back and forth as slippage is detected, where the Elock stays locked both wheels no slip at all times below 45 MPH Above 45mph is auto off back on again with auto on below 45 MPH as long as switch is on.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The elock stays on with the switch engaged. The elock will turn on and off automatically below and above 45MPH until elock switch is turned off. So when you head into deep snow just turn elock on and will do all for you until turned off. Once your safe over 45 MPH it will auto disengage until you go under 45 mph again.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The elock stays on with the switch engaged. The elock will turn on and off automatically below and above 45MPH until elock switch is turned off. So when you head into deep snow just turn elock on and will do all for you until turned off. Once your safe over 45 MPH it will auto disengage until you go under 45 mph again. Its seamless back and forth only way you know its engaged is illumination in dash and light illuminates on the switch as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious were you found or how you got the eLocker to stay on to 45 mph.

It was believed it disengaged at 27 mph and would engage again when speed dropped to 20 mph.

Interested to know.

And I have waited forever for Ram to get the eLocker. It is a must have option for me...and one i hope the 4.5 Gen HD gets...if not, the true redesign should

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I seen where you said in off road 1 it stays engaged to 40 mph...that is pretty awesome if it does. Did not know this.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious were you found or how you got the eLocker to stay on to 45 mph.

It was believed it disengaged at 27 mph and would engage again when speed dropped to 20 mph.

Interested to know.

And I have waited forever for Ram to get the eLocker. It is a must have option for me...and one i hope the 4.5 Gen HD gets...if not, the true redesign should

Sorry my mistake not 40 MPH on E-lock....... low 4wd cab be engaged any time and will stay engaged no auto in Low 4wd . In 2wd , 4wd auto and 4wd high it will engage at 20 mph and turn off at 25 mph automatically . So in deep snow you can stay locked with no worry about any slippage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread