5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering Laramie - Please help with axle

Which upgrade do I need for occasional Travel Trailer pulling?

• E-Locker Rear Axle

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Off-Road Group that includes E-Locker

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Neither needed for camping, just get the tonneau cover (or an after-market) instead

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tilter

Reaction score
Hello,

New here from Indiana - Hello!

I am ordering a 2019 Laramie, Max Steel, Grey or Black, E-TQ motor, 3.92, Sport, Sunroof, level 1, tow controller (Not package), steps, liners, underseat storage and mats.

I currently have a 4500 pound trailer. We are likely going to replace with a 7-8,000 pounder, hence the 3.92.
We tend to park the camper and take on a trip one or two times per year. Usually Indiana, some Michigan and love to take it to the Smokeys.

Do I need the Anti Spin or the E-Locker? If I need the E-Locker I will lightly get the protection group since it's a pretty good bundle.

If I don't need either of those I am going to splurge on a tonneau cover, lol - but I don't want to be pennywise...

Thank you all!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need any of those 4 for pulling a trailer. With the tongue weight on the back end you won't have a lot of rear end slippage. Research the numerous threads on LSD vs locker and get the one you want, if either, for when you're not towing.

Tilter

Reaction score
You don't need any of those 4 for pulling a trailer. With the tongue weight on the back end you won't have a lot of rear end slippage. Research the numerous threads on LSD vs locker and get the one you want, if either, for when you're not towing.

Thank you. Sadly I can only find a handful - and none that give as clear a response as yours already does. That said then is one better for all-around driving or winter? We’ve got a lot of icy roads around here - is the LSD going to be a significant increase for that?

XDBrad

Reaction score
My .02 from neighboring Ohio...

Like Edwards stated you don’t “need” either differential but if you need to choose one over the other because they are on the lot and based on your use, I would take the anti-spin over the e locker. I didn’t choose the e locker, it was just part of the off road group and honestly I may never need it but if I do, it’ll be there.

Tilter

Reaction score
My .02 from neighboring Ohio...

Like Edwards stated you don’t “need” either differential but if you need to choose one over the other because they are on the lot and based on your use, I would take the anti-spin over the e locker. I didn’t choose the e locker, it was just part of the off road group and honestly I may never need it but if I do, it’ll be there.

Thanks! I’m special ordering so I can choose what I want. I love the off road group because it has a 1” lift and you get all that protective gear. But from what I can tell the LSD is the better in the snow than not having it at all.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I opted for the E locker with my 3.92 gears as I wanted control over situations that I may find myself in. I’m feeling that you can not go wrong with either one in my opinion. :)

Tilter

Reaction score
I’ve found what I want by searching lol - thanks! For me the LSD is best. Does the protection group come with the 1” lift or just the off-road group?

DeanKing

Reaction score
I’ve found what I want by searching lol - thanks! For me the LSD is best. Does the protection group come with the 1” lift or just the off-road group?
I ordered protection group cause I didn’t want the elocker but did want the plates. The off road group comes with different shocks and I asssume that is where the lift is. No lift with protection group.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 7,500lb boat and ordered the 3.21s with the LSD. Coming from a F150 equipped with the 2.7l v6 and 3.55s....I'm happy with the Ram. I went back and forth over the 3.92s or not but I'm happy with the 3.21s..

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m special ordering so I can choose what I want. I love the off road group because it has a 1” lift and you get all that protective gear. But from what I can tell the LSD is the better in the snow than not having it at all.
No, the LSD is not better in snow according to my experience. You don't have control of it locking and if you've ever driven anything with a posi rear in winter... good luck. I like the locker for that reason alone, I choose what rear I need, not the other way around. Plus I was really disappointed in the 4x4 with the LSD, it seemed to lose its ability to lock under 4x4 load and would spin like an open diff front and rear at times you wish it didn't.

If you'll never see snow, LSD is king. Otherwise a locker will give you the ultimate advantage in any weather.

Tilter

Reaction score
I tow a 7,500lb boat and ordered the 3.21s with the LSD. Coming from a F150 equipped with the 2.7l v6 and 3.55s....I'm happy with the Ram. I went back and forth over the 3.92s or not but I'm happy with the 3.21s..

Wow that's pretty cool. I need to also account for another 1,000 lbs of stuff on the camper so I am going 3.92 for sure but I would much prefer the 3.21.

Tilter

Reaction score
No, the LSD is not better in snow according to my experience. You don't have control of it locking and if you've ever driven anything with a posi rear in winter... good luck. I like the locker for that reason alone, I choose what rear I need, not the other way around. Plus I was really disappointed in the 4x4 with the LSD, it seemed to lose its ability to lock under 4x4 load and would spin like an open diff front and rear at times you wish it didn't.

If you'll never see snow, LSD is king. Otherwise a locker will give you the ultimate advantage in any weather.

I've got a fair amount of ice and snow. Most of what I have read here says the LSD is better for snow than the elocker - and both local dealers say the same thing. Which sucks because I'd really love the off-road package, lol. I appreciate your advice but I'm a truck novice - I think I'd rather trust the car than my judgement for this first go-around.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Echo what others are saying. Either get a Tonneau or the anti-slip, which you will always use in inclement weather/snow regardless of towing or not.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had three trucks with anti-spin (limited slip) differentials and it made a difference in snow. In fact, on my 2010 Ram I ran all season tires for four years and got around just fine. If you are going to go with the 3.92 axle, I would definitely suggest you get it in anti-spin. The Hemi will really spin the tires easy with 3.92s.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004598 miles.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had three trucks with anti-spin (limited slip) differentials and it made a difference in snow. In fact, on my 2010 Ram I ran all season tires for four years and got around just fine. If you are going to go with the 3.92 axle, I would definitely suggest you get it in anti-spin. The Hemi will really spin the tires easy with 3.92s.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004598 miles.

Amen to the 3.92 spinning the rear tires! I've got to be a little timid when trying to get going in traffic without putting on a show.

DaYooper

Reaction score
I went with the ORG and E-Locker because I think that's what will most closely match the G80 locking rear end in my GMC Sierra.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the ORG and E-Locker because I think that's what will most closely match the G80 locking rear end in my GMC Sierra.
The automatic action of the G80 makes it a closer cousin to anti-slip (in terms of driver engagement) than the ELocker. That said, the ELocker gives you 100% lock when you ask for it. Since it came with the ORG, my decision was easily made.

wolf1776

Reaction score
Moving to North Idaho/Spokane and will be doing little to no towing. I'm reading two different recommendations here though... not sure what will be better for my situation, E-Locker VS LSD?
Was planning on getting the OFF ROAD GROUP which comes with the E-Locker but now i'm second guessing that based on what @Tilter is saying along with what his local dealerships recommended. But then @VaderRebel had a different perspective. Hate to rehash this all over again, just trying to get clarity. Thanks guy!

Tilter

Reaction score
Moving to North Idaho/Spokane and will be doing little to no towing. I'm reading two different recommendations here though... not sure what will be better for my situation, E-Locker VS LSD?
Was planning on getting the OFF ROAD GROUP which comes with the E-Locker but now i'm second guessing that based on what @Tilter is saying along with what his local dealerships recommended. But then @VaderRebel had a different perspective. Hate to rehash this all over again, just trying to get clarity. Thanks guy!

No disrespect to Vader, but only 2 people here recommended E-Locker and at least one cited the main reason being a desire to control it themselves. After doing a lot of research, speaking to the delaership that I ordered my new Laramie from yesterday (Yay!), speaking to the service manager there, a trucker friend and speaking to a friend in the Michigan State police I made the decision to go with the LSD - and I REALLY wanted to go the other way , lol.

I checked a bunch of other sites as well, including the RAM1500 forum and the overwhelming majority seem to think LSD is better for snow and ice and E-Locker by far the better choice for off road.

That said I did NOT get any of this information first-hand, but I fell very comfortable with my decision - I did have previously a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with an LSD and it was terrific in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread