5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orange Peel

snj1013

Reaction score
Years ago I worked as a supervisor in an automobile assembly plant and spent a lot of time managing various areas of the paint department. There are many reasons why some vehicles might have more orange peel than others, but the primary reason is 10-20% of vehicles get painted more than once. If a defect is bad enough, or in a high visibility area such as the hood, the entire vehicle will be repainted. These 2nd run (or 3rd run) vehicles will always have more orange peel than a first run vehicle. Typically orange peel is worse on the vertical surfaces such as the doors and fenders. When the vehicle enters the paint oven, the paint starts to flow a bit before curing and orange peel is created. Typically you don't see orange peel on the horizontal surfaces as the paint flows flat on these surfaces. Years ago Mazda put the Millenia on a rotisserie type skid that would rotate will going through the paint oven in an attempt to even out the paint on all surfaces and minimize orange peel. I owned a Millenia back in the day and it did have a fantastic paint job. Anyway that was years ago. Nonetheless I thought some might find some interest in what happens in a factory.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
And never buy the car that's on display inside the showroom. They almost always have some form of touch up or pdr due to careless customers and/or their free range children.
I agree that you have to be careful and look it over with a fine tooth comb, but to say never I disagree with. I have bought a few vehicles over the years right off the floor. You just have to look it over well and not get caught up in the emotion of the purchase which too many people do. Take your time and make sure you are happy with what you see.

7milesup

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. Bought a used 2019 Ram this winter and man, the number of defects in the paint and the orange peel are terrible. Owned a 2015 EcoD before the 2019 (both in Delmonico Red) and I will have to say that the 2015 had a much better paint job. I was going to take my buffer and do a paint correction, but after reading through this thread, I think not. I once did a paint correction on a black Blazer and it was a night and day difference when I was done.
*sigh*... Now where is that prescription?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. Bought a used 2019 Ram this winter and man, the number of defects in the paint and the orange peel are terrible. Owned a 2015 EcoD before the 2019 (both in Delmonico Red) and I will have to say that the 2015 had a much better paint job. I was going to take my buffer and do a paint correction, but after reading through this thread, I think not. I once did a paint correction on a black Blazer and it was a night and day difference when I was done.

Do you have a paint meter? Most of the defects are just on the clearcoat, have it inspected and see how much you can safely correct, you may still be able to get the paint you want or at least improve it to the point you are happy with it.

They will also be able to see if anything was repainted prior to you getting the truck.

I had a 2004 Expedition with serious factory orange peel, was thick enough that it had plenty of clear to wet sand and buff, looked better than any factory paint job.

T-roy82

Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I have a black 2019 that drives me nuts. I did do a correction and it helped, but I don't know if I could go deeper or just like others say call it good and walk away.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I have a black 2019 that drives me nuts. I did do a correction and it helped, but I don't know if I could go deeper or just like others say call it good and walk away.
Did you wet sand or just compound?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a compound, but I feel like it needs a wet sand to get it where I want it.
Compounding will not get rid of orange peel. You need to wet sand with 2000 - 3000 grid, and don't use your hand, use a sanding block.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Compounding will not get rid of orange peel. You need to wet sand with 2000 - 3000 grid, and don't use your hand, use a sanding block.
^^^ 100% ^^^
It’ll take ~22 years of compounding to get rid of orange peel. Wet sanding is the only way.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
THIS^^^

If you have an orbital polisher, just get some some wet sanding discs for it...will make it go much quicker.

T-roy82

Reaction score
That's why I said I feel like it needs a wet sand to get it where I want it.

Humphammer

Reaction score
Some of you guys complaining about orange peel probably never owned a Ford before? I think it was a factory installed option on my Fords, "3D textured paint" if I recall correctly (just kidding).

All vehicles have orange peel, check even high end premium cars, they all have it to some extent. My 3-series was honestly worst than my RAM, though being black it made it really noticeable. My red RAM is hard to see, actually better than most of the vehicles I've owned. Only custom painted cars take the time and effort to reduce or remove it. Usually with several layers of clear coat which is applied so it can be cut and buffed to a very flat surface.

Modern factory paint is usually a flat color with a gloss clear. The orange peel that is seen and felt is primarily in the clear coat, and can be cut and buffed to reduce it. However, that depends on the thickness of the clear if it's worth the effort on a factory paint job, also the UV protection of the paint tends to to settle near the surface when it cures, leaving the paint vulnerable unless sealed regularly.
I know I'm reviving an old thread but I'm 72 and have owned a lot of vehicles in my life and I've never had orange peel on any of them until I purchased this 2024 Ram Limited Elite. I am anal about the paint on my vehicles and keep at least two coats of CarPro ceramic on each of them. Before there were ceramics, I kept 2-3 coats of Zaino on them.

I currently own a 2018 Audi S5, 2021 Acura RDX, and a 2015 Limited Edition 50 year anniversary Mustang GT in addition to my 2024 Ram and all have an absolute mirror finish except the Ram. It was a beautiful bright sunny day when I purchased my truck and you cannot see the Orange Peel in the sunlight. It doesn't show up if it's dirty and the pollen has kept it coated for the past 3-4 weeks as well. But when it's clean and in the shade it has the worst case of Orange Peel I've seen on a vehicle. It's too big to fit in a garage so it sits outside and is a daily driver so I'll live with it, but it's the one flaw in an otherwise fantastic vehicle.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I know I'm reviving an old thread but I'm 72 and have owned a lot of vehicles in my life and I've never had orange peel on any of them until I purchased this 2024 Ram Limited Elite. I am anal about the paint on my vehicles and keep at least two coats of CarPro ceramic on each of them. Before there were ceramics, I kept 2-3 coats of Zaino on them.

I currently own a 2018 Audi S5, 2021 Acura RDX, and a 2015 Limited Edition 50 year anniversary Mustang GT in addition to my 2024 Ram and all have an absolute mirror finish except the Ram. It was a beautiful bright sunny day when I purchased my truck and you cannot see the Orange Peel in the sunlight. It doesn't show up if it's dirty and the pollen has kept it coated for the past 3-4 weeks as well. But when it's clean and in the shade it has the worst case of Orange Peel I've seen on a vehicle. It's too big to fit in a garage so it sits outside and is a daily driver so I'll live with it, but it's the one flaw in an otherwise fantastic vehicle.

Then you don't know what Orange Peel is, there is no such thing as flat paint on a factory paint job, even Ferraris have a quite a level of Orange peel, when you look at an angle you will see little textures on any car anywhere.

What you mean to say is the orange peel level on your RAM is the worst you've ever seen, you probably either weren't paying very much attention on your other cars or they're just weren't as bad, but they have orange peel as well.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
correct it is the norm these days unless you have a show car. You could sand it down to get it flatter but you don't really want to sand to much off your clear coat on a daily driver unless you want to severely diminish the clear coats life span.

Humphammer

Reaction score
Then you don't know what Orange Peel is, there is no such thing as flat paint on a factory paint job, even Ferraris have a quite a level of Orange peel, when you look at an angle you will see little textures on any car anywhere.

What you mean to say is the orange peel level on your RAM is the worst you've ever seen, you probably either weren't paying very much attention on your other cars or they're just weren't as bad, but they have orange peel as well.
Oh, I know exactly what orange peel is and have had multiple cars down through the years that I have taken to car shows all over the south. So, to say I'm anal about the quality of paint is an understatement. Most of my cars have been show cars that have been professionally painted, but my current one is not.

My Mustang is totally bone stock and one of only 325 of the LE 50-year Mustang's built in Kona Blue with a 6-speed manual. It only leaves my garage to go to car shows where it has won multiple times. I did paint correction only with CarPro Reflect which is a very fine polish and porter cable. It has two coats of CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 and one coat of CarPro SIC ceramic as a topper. I don't care at what angle you look at it, it is an absolute mirror finish. Get over the hood on a bright sunny day and look down and there is no distortion at all. At no angle do you see anything that looks like the peel of an orange in the reflection. The paint on my other two cars an Audi S5 convertible and an Acura RDX are not scrutinized as much as the Mustang but have very mirror like finishes as well.

I'm not concerned with my truck. It is a daily driver that sits outside. If it's in the sun you see the sparkles of the Pearlcoat not the orange peel. If it's the least bit dirty, you can't see the orange peel. But when you wash it and it's not in direct sunlight the orange peel is very visible, and the reflection is distorted. Otherwise, I am very impressed with this Ram. It is very comfortable for someone my size 6'6" 265 and is the best driving truck I've ever owned.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Oh, I know exactly what orange peel is and have had multiple cars down through the years that I have taken to car shows all over the south. So, to say I'm anal about the quality of paint is an understatement. Most of my cars have been show cars that have been professionally painted, but my current one is not.

My Mustang is totally bone stock and one of only 325 of the LE 50-year Mustang's built in Kona Blue with a 6-speed manual. It only leaves my garage to go to car shows where it has won multiple times. I did paint correction only with CarPro Reflect which is a very fine polish and porter cable. It has two coats of CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 and one coat of CarPro SIC ceramic as a topper. I don't care at what angle you look at it, it is an absolute mirror finish. Get over the hood on a bright sunny day and look down and there is no distortion at all. At no angle do you see anything that looks like the peel of an orange in the reflection. The paint on my other two cars an Audi S5 convertible and an Acura RDX are not scrutinized as much as the Mustang but have very mirror like finishes as well.

I'm not concerned with my truck. It is a daily driver that sits outside. If it's in the sun you see the sparkles of the Pearlcoat not the orange peel. If it's the least bit dirty, you can't see the orange peel. But when you wash it and it's not in direct sunlight the orange peel is very visible, and the reflection is distorted. Otherwise, I am very impressed with this Ram. It is very comfortable for someone my size 6'6" 265 and is the best driving truck I've ever owned.

Lets just say you think small orange peel is flat (or you don't have the vision acuity to see it). There is no factory applied paint that doesn't have some level of orange peel. Best time to see orange peel easily is in the shade looking at a flat vertical panel off angle, you will see the true paint texture. You can have super glossy paint with a near mirror like image, but plenty of orange peel when viewed from the correct angle.

I can look at any paint from any car from any generation and see orange peel, some are better than others, but there is no flat paint on any factory cars. It takes hours of work by a professional to get factory paint flat, that's assuming there is enough clear coat to do it. Hours of wet sanding and polishing is required to get actual flat paint.

I've owned many vehicles from many makes in my 30 years of driving and vehicle ownership, I have yet to find one without orange peel at some level.

Last edited:

Joemama88

Reaction score
Usually a paint correction gets most of it out. Mine just got dropped off for Ceramic. My 2018 Mazda my detailer said it was one of the best paint jobs from the factory he has seen. Its American. My Ford had peeling paint at 10k miles. I'd rather deal with a little orange peal.

Humphammer

Reaction score
Lets just say you think small orange peel is flat (or you don't have the vision acuity to see it). There is no factory applied paint that doesn't have some level of orange peel. Best time to see orange peel easily is in the shade looking at a flat vertical panel off angle, you will see the true paint texture. You can have super glossy paint with a near mirror like image, but plenty of orange peel when viewed from the correct angle.

I can look at any paint from any car from any generation and see orange peel, some are better than others, but there is no flat paint on any factory cars. It takes hours of work by a professional to get factory paint flat, that's assuming there is enough clear coat to do it. Hours of wet sanding and polishing is required to get actual flat paint.

I've owned many vehicles from many makes in my 30 years of driving and vehicle ownership, I have yet to find one without orange peel at some level.
I am familiar with a professional paint job on a show car. I paid over $15,000 on the paint job on my 1969 Chevelle SS 396 and that was almost 20 years ago. No factory paint job will match the depth and wetness of that type of paint job.

My vision isn't what it was when I was 20 and why I always use a paint correction light when I am applying ceramic protection to my vehicles. However, I have the vision acuity to see it on the Ram on any panel except the tail gate at any angle provided it's clean and not in direct sunlight.

All I can say is I've looked at my Mustang in every light condition and virtually every angle except hanging upside down on my Teeter hang-up at a 45-degree angle and I've never seen any orange peel at all nor has anyone else at any car show ever mentioned it. Maybe my vision is just not as good as yours.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I am familiar with a professional paint job on a show car. I paid over $15,000 on the paint job on my 1969 Chevelle SS 396 and that was almost 20 years ago. No factory paint job will match the depth and wetness of that type of paint job.

My vision isn't what it was when I was 20 and why I always use a paint correction light when I am applying ceramic protection to my vehicles. However, I have the vision acuity to see it on the Ram on any panel except the tail gate at any angle provided it's clean and not in direct sunlight.

All I can say is I've looked at my Mustang in every light condition and virtually every angle except hanging upside down on my Teeter hang-up at a 45-degree angle and I've never seen any orange peel at all nor has anyone else at any car show ever mentioned it. Maybe my vision is just not as good as yours.

Absolutely, we are all different, maybe I personally see too much (or biased) on the other end of things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online