5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orange Peel

snj1013

Reaction score
Years ago I worked as a supervisor in an automobile assembly plant and spent a lot of time managing various areas of the paint department. There are many reasons why some vehicles might have more orange peel than others, but the primary reason is 10-20% of vehicles get painted more than once. If a defect is bad enough, or in a high visibility area such as the hood, the entire vehicle will be repainted. These 2nd run (or 3rd run) vehicles will always have more orange peel than a first run vehicle. Typically orange peel is worse on the vertical surfaces such as the doors and fenders. When the vehicle enters the paint oven, the paint starts to flow a bit before curing and orange peel is created. Typically you don't see orange peel on the horizontal surfaces as the paint flows flat on these surfaces. Years ago Mazda put the Millenia on a rotisserie type skid that would rotate will going through the paint oven in an attempt to even out the paint on all surfaces and minimize orange peel. I owned a Millenia back in the day and it did have a fantastic paint job. Anyway that was years ago. Nonetheless I thought some might find some interest in what happens in a factory.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
And never buy the car that's on display inside the showroom. They almost always have some form of touch up or pdr due to careless customers and/or their free range children.
I agree that you have to be careful and look it over with a fine tooth comb, but to say never I disagree with. I have bought a few vehicles over the years right off the floor. You just have to look it over well and not get caught up in the emotion of the purchase which too many people do. Take your time and make sure you are happy with what you see.

7milesup

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. Bought a used 2019 Ram this winter and man, the number of defects in the paint and the orange peel are terrible. Owned a 2015 EcoD before the 2019 (both in Delmonico Red) and I will have to say that the 2015 had a much better paint job. I was going to take my buffer and do a paint correction, but after reading through this thread, I think not. I once did a paint correction on a black Blazer and it was a night and day difference when I was done.
*sigh*... Now where is that prescription?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. Bought a used 2019 Ram this winter and man, the number of defects in the paint and the orange peel are terrible. Owned a 2015 EcoD before the 2019 (both in Delmonico Red) and I will have to say that the 2015 had a much better paint job. I was going to take my buffer and do a paint correction, but after reading through this thread, I think not. I once did a paint correction on a black Blazer and it was a night and day difference when I was done.

Do you have a paint meter? Most of the defects are just on the clearcoat, have it inspected and see how much you can safely correct, you may still be able to get the paint you want or at least improve it to the point you are happy with it.

They will also be able to see if anything was repainted prior to you getting the truck.

I had a 2004 Expedition with serious factory orange peel, was thick enough that it had plenty of clear to wet sand and buff, looked better than any factory paint job.

T-roy82

Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I have a black 2019 that drives me nuts. I did do a correction and it helped, but I don't know if I could go deeper or just like others say call it good and walk away.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I have a black 2019 that drives me nuts. I did do a correction and it helped, but I don't know if I could go deeper or just like others say call it good and walk away.
Did you wet sand or just compound?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a compound, but I feel like it needs a wet sand to get it where I want it.
Compounding will not get rid of orange peel. You need to wet sand with 2000 - 3000 grid, and don't use your hand, use a sanding block.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Compounding will not get rid of orange peel. You need to wet sand with 2000 - 3000 grid, and don't use your hand, use a sanding block.
^^^ 100% ^^^
It’ll take ~22 years of compounding to get rid of orange peel. Wet sanding is the only way.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
THIS^^^

If you have an orbital polisher, just get some some wet sanding discs for it...will make it go much quicker.

T-roy82

Reaction score
That's why I said I feel like it needs a wet sand to get it where I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread