5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options feedback requested

Rob_H

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great site, tons of knowledge here that I have found helpful as a lurker...first post.

I am going to be factory ordering a '23 Longhorn Limited on Monday and would like some feedback from users on a couple of options I am considering. Will be my first Pentastar since picking up a '99 Dakota Sport 4x4 many moons ago, coming out of a 2015 F350 Platinum.

eTorque - I have read a lot about this but have not been able to find any longer term reports - things like battery life expectancy and replacement cost, overall reliability, belt life and replacement cost etc.; maybe I just couldn't find the right thread if it is here somewhere. Also, any input on resale value differences between standard 5.7 and eT version would be appreciated as well.

Multifunction tailgate - similar to above, just looking for any feedback from longer term use and if there are any issues over time to be aware of.

Rambox - also similar to above, just curious how they hold up under average use, this isn't going to be a work truck by any means, more like a sedan with a box.

Here is the list that I already decided on:

Longhorn Level 1 package
5'7" box
Sunroof
Bed Utility Group
Hitch & brake control
Anti-spin with 3.21
Air suspension
Larger tank
Tri-fold tonneau cover

On the fence about the body coloured bumper group
On the fence between Billet Silver and Ruby Red

I am in Western Canada in case climate has any impact on any of the above.

Thanks in advance for any input, really looking forward to my first factory order and will be a tough 4 weeks or so waiting for it to arrive :)

Rob

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think you cns order a 2023, just 2024s.
Everything comes with etorque now so unless you don't order a Ram it's a moot point. Reliability seems hit or miss, USA has a great Federal warranty for it and the battery back, I don't know about Canada.

Multi function tailgate is great no downsides.

Ramboxes are great, they reduce the width of the bed which can be annoying at some times as some items just fit with no wiggle room.
Rambixes also warp because they are made with plastic, so expect them to not be flush with the truck after a few months or so.
Even with that con I love mine and would get it again.

You said this will be your first Pentastar, but then ask about 5.7 vs 5.7 etorque resale so not sure which one you are looking at as Pentastar is a v6. It's too early to know if a 5.7 would resale better then a 5.7 with etorque as all etorque are still under warranty unless they hit 80k miles in the states imo. I don't think resale will be different.

Rob_H

Reaction score
You said this will be your first Pentastar, but then ask about 5.7 vs 5.7 etorque resale so not sure which one you are looking at as Pentastar is a v6.

Sorry for the confusion...I am an old fart and to me Pentastar meant the brand, forgot they have an engine option under that name now :)

Thanks for your feedback on the options, much appreciated!

jimk hunt

Reaction score
My signature shows my bias but here goes. Good spec but consider how much you will use the sunroof. I would not order it next time. I love the ramboxes but expect to be a little unhappy at the eventual warpage. I'd order them again. I have the chrome bumper and would order that again. The painted bumpers will pick up a ton of little chips and the only way to prevent that is to apply ppf first thing. My truck has been great, no visits to the dealer except for one software update the first year.

Reverse

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of aftermarket accessories don't work with the multi-function tailgate and/or ramboxes (tonneau covers and racks mainly).

I own a basic 2014 Big Horn and a 2020 Limited. The one thing I'd say that surprised me is how much I like the retracting sidesteps on the Limited, as opposed to the fixed ones on the Big Horn. Not sure if that comes on a Longhorn, but definitely something I'd order again.

As far as reliability: I have 120,000+ miles on my Limited, and have never had a problem with the E-torque. I personally like how it makes for a very smooth stop-start experience.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend skipping body color bumpers as well due to paint chips - especially if you drive gravel roads. I also would recommend billet silver unless you either wash your truck every week or don't care about it looking dirty. The red will show everything but the silver is better at hiding road salt and gravel dust.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
If you are coming from an F350, I assume you recognize that your towing and payload capacity will be a fraction of what you have now. I have the Rambox and multi function tailgate, and I love both of them. But both of them add weight and will affect your available payload and towing capacity.

I like the eTorque, but a lot of people don't. It can be shut off if you don't like it, so don't be fearmongered away from it.

Rob_H

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Was thinking the same thing on the sunroof and the chrome bumpers…350 is painted and put 3M on new but the look only lasts a couple of years…probably only had the sunroof open 1/2 dozen times in the 8 years I owned it but was thinking of resale down the road.

Won’t be towing much other than a light boat a couple of times a year in and out of seasonal storage. I like the eT from the test drives, glad to hear it is a non issue!

Really appreciate the input everyone.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The E-torque can not be turned off. I think he is confusing start/stop. 24s are being built, no 23s for order. 4th gen Ramboxes had a lot of problems, not so much 5th gens. Certain tonneau covers are not compatible, if you order BUG, due to the different side rails, but you are ordering factory. I am not big on sun roofs, but ordered on for eventual resale. Most people who want a truck, with basically every other option, will expect one.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are planning to keep the truck for any length of time I would say get the MFT and Ramboxes...the 2 features I use all of the time. I was on the fence about the Ramboxes when I ordered, so glad I went with them. Easily put my groceries in there and leftovers when eating out...no more stinky food in the cab. LOL! I like the look of the body colored bumpers...I took mine in for PPF for piece of mind.

Rob_H

Reaction score
Turned out to be a bit of a disappointing day,

Apparently there is a freeze on being able to order air suspension on a Longhorn Limited, at least in Canada, right now (I was told code AEW if that means anything to the group, couldn't find it on a quick search). No word on when orders will be accepted again so looks like I am either in a holding pattern to do a factory order or will maybe get lucky and find something already enroute that has what I am looking for with a spec.

Here is the final list:

Longhorn Level 1 package with saddle interior
5'7" box
Ram Box
Multifunction tailgate
Bed Utility Group
Hitch & brake control
Anti-spin with 3.21 (odd in Canada we can't order the 3.55 or I would have that on the list)
Air suspension
Larger tank
Tri-fold tonneau cover
Billet Silver

Thanks again for all the input/feedback on the features I was on the fence about, it was helpful and much appreciated!

Rob

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
3.55 doesn't come with a Hemi as far as I know, only if you get a v6.
Air suspension is standard on a Limited if you want to get that instead of a Longhorn.

Rob_H

Reaction score
Thanks,

Yes, I considered the limited but really like the Longhorn interior so ruled it out, at least for now.

Didn't realize the 3.55 wasn't available in the hemi, thanks for the info.

Rob

Rob_H

Reaction score
Well it looks like I am going to go the factory order route, but only if I can get a timeline on air ride being back available as an orderable option on the Longhorn. Getting frustrated with the process TBH; dealer can't get an answer on when and it isn't selectable in their order screen so they can't even get it in the queue for a "to be determined" build date.

Has anyone ever gone through a scenario like this and know of a way to get an answer? If it takes too long for a response, logic may overcome the excitement factor and may just keep what I have for another year :confused:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well it looks like I am going to go the factory order route, but only if I can get a timeline on air ride being back available as an orderable option on the Longhorn. Getting frustrated with the process TBH; dealer can't get an answer on when and it isn't selectable in their order screen so they can't even get it in the queue for a "to be determined" build date.

Has anyone ever gone through a scenario like this and know of a way to get an answer? If it takes too long for a response, logic may overcome the excitement factor and may just keep what I have for another year :confused:
Things come and go all the time. Just like in June you couldn't order a V8 with 4 wheel drive, or something ridiculous like that. Could be supply issues. It comes standard on Limiteds, so they have to have enough supply to build them. For a while last year, you couldn't get heated rear seats on Laramies, which was part of the level 2 package, so they changed to level B. There isn't much they can tell you, they won't know when it is available, until the day it is again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Might hold off on ordering until these UAW talks get figured out. There may not be anyone to build trucks here soon.

As far as sunroof. You will like the panoramic sunroof. Even if you never actually open the glass itself the amount of light it let's in is awesome. I wouldn't have bought mine without it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Might hold off on ordering until these UAW talks get figured out. There may not be anyone to build trucks here soon.

As far as sunroof. You will like the panoramic sunroof. Even if you never actually open the glass itself the amount of light it let's in is awesome. I wouldn't have bought mine without it
I thought I would like my sunroof more, but on hot days I wish I had solid metal above and was cooler. I also don't live in Texas with insane heat.
It wouldn't make or break my order though, and I still opted in for it.

23RAM

Reaction score
Funny, we're the exact opposite - we hate sunroofs or convertibles. Had one of each years ago and hated them both. The last two vehicles (SUV and pickup) I specifically went without sunroofs.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would like my sunroof more, but on hot days I wish I had solid metal above and was cooler. I also don't live in Texas with insane heat.
It wouldn't make or break my order though, and I still opted in for it.
Use mine all the time. Is rather drive with windows down and sunroof open than closed up. As long as it's not above about 92-93, or higher than 50% humidity, the truck is opened up.

Users who are viewing this thread