5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open Differential? Not so much.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ha, well thats certainly not the dreaded “one wheel peel”...

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They also employ what's called an e-diff. Basically it applies the brake on the wheel that's spinning to transfer torque to the wheel that isn't. So it acts like an lsd without actually having one, though in my experience there is a slight delay with the e-diff where I find the lsd in my ram to be near instant sideways action in the snow

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They also employ what's called an e-diff. Basically it applies the brake on the wheel that's spinning to transfer torque to the wheel that isn't. So it acts like an lsd without actually having one, though in my experience there is a slight delay with the e-diff where I find the lsd in my ram to be near instant sideways action in the snow

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
You’re saying that turning TC off doesn’t defeat this?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re saying that turning TC off doesn’t defeat this?
It should, but stability control is separate and could also play a factor if it thinks the vehicle will travel in an unintended direction due to wheel slip.

Old Mike

Reaction score
You can jack up one wheel. Block , not brake, other wheels. If you can hand spin the up wheel you have an Open Dif. — or if you happen to have both wheels up and you turn one wheel the other should go in the same way if anti slip is there. If it goes the opposite way it is Open.

V509

Reaction score
I thought I made a mistake not buying the limited slip but when I put it into 4x4 it hops when turning slow just like my Rebel did with limited slip

Old Mike

Reaction score
Had bought a 2020 pretty much loaded 4x4 1500 Ram left on the Dealer. Almost perfect in all ways for what I wanted. Tow package and all. Hell of a discount, 13K . Buy for some unknown reason the thing had an Open Diff.
Took the truck to Pyle Brothers in Baytown, Tx. Not too far for me. Differential work is all they do and for 40 years. They put in a Eaton Detroit True Track anti slip. Helica gears no clutch packs. 3 hr job. Under 1k.
cannot image why a dealer would order a 4x4, tow package and no anti slip.
must have never been on a slippery slidey boat ramp.

20Ram4X

Reaction score
@Old Mike - Same situation here, 20 leftover truck that's loaded but no locking diff or limited slip! I even have the off road skid plates. How do you like the True Track so far? Since we can't add an e-locker, this is likely the direction i'll go.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I made a mistake not buying the limited slip but when I put it into 4x4 it hops when turning slow just like my Rebel did with limited slip

The front wheels “hop” when in 4H because there is too much traction available.... it’s unrelated to the rear axle’s limited slip.

Bigtone

Reaction score
The front wheels “hop” when in 4H because there is too much traction available.... it’s unrelated to the rear axle’s limited slip.
Actually, the hop is because the front wheels are trying to turn a higher speed than the rear when the steering is turned hard. In 4 HI the transfer case is trying to turn both driveshafts the same speed.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, the hop is because the front wheels are trying to turn a higher speed than the rear when the steering is turned hard. In 4 HI the transfer case is trying to turn both driveshafts the same speed.

Right..... a rear limited slip plays no factor in this

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My build sheet says conventional rear axle. I would think a 4x4 should have some sort locker or LSD. How do I know what i have?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build sheet says conventional rear axle. I would think a 4x4 should have some sort locker or LSD. How do I know what i have?
If that's what your build sheet says then that's what you got. 4x4 does not automatically get one of them. ORG, BTS and Rebel get the rear locker, night edition gets the anti-spin. And either one can be added as a standalone option.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
The open dif really sucks. It's the only thing i really dislike about my 19 Laramie. I got so used to drifting my 05 diesel everywhere like a jet boat, using a bit of throttle oversteer to finish off corners, cannot do that in my little one wheel drive gasser, it just refuses to predictably set a slip angle with one wheel spinning. The pedal delay makes it even worse, coming off stoplights i have to preload the gas pedal to smooth the launch transition, otherwise it's slip-n-hop time.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The open dif really sucks. It's the only thing i really dislike about my 19 Laramie. I got so used to drifting my 05 diesel everywhere like a jet boat, using a bit of throttle oversteer to finish off corners, cannot do that in my little one wheel drive gasser, it just refuses to predictably set a slip angle with one wheel spinning. The pedal delay makes it even worse, coming off stoplights i have to preload the gas pedal to smooth the launch transition, otherwise it's slip-n-hop time.
I agree, my 1500 had the anti-spin but my 2500 does not. I barely used 4x4 in my 1500 out on the main roads even when they weren't particularly clearly, my 2500 I ended up driving in 4x4 because I could barely leave a stoplight. But I wasn't about to settle for a white truck for the next 5+ years, I'll add a diff at some point in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread