5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok yea, these 5th gens have issues and its not like "everyone else"

WickedMachine

Reaction score
Here are the problems I’ve encountered with my new 2019 Ram Laramie after only one week. I’m returning mine, I don’t want to be a beta tester for FCA, and spend all my free time at the service department. Mine was built on 6/18.

- Active noise cancellation is making my ears pop when there is no sound/talking/music in vehicle, and all windows are up. Constantly feel dizzy/need to gulp air inside the cabin. Have to drive with window down to turn off noise cancellation, or it becomes unbearable.

- Passenger side is extremely noisy when driving on freeway over 70 mph. It sounds like the AC is on even when it is not. You cannot notice it unless you reach 70-75 mph, with windows up. My Challenger never had this issue (and it had no active noise control...)

- Worst AC of any vehicle I ever owned. "25% more airflow" - really FCA? It barely works (defroster included.)

- Entire passenger side of dash looks misaligned, cutting off the ambient light on the trim badge.
The top glove-box light stays on even when it is shut.

- Front, side and rear parking sensors randomly go off in city traffic, making for a jarring unsettling driving experience.

- Gauge cluster cannot remember theme or configuration settings when car is turned off.

- Creaking sounds under the passenger seat on slow wide turns.

- Gobs of weatherstripping or rubber are coming out of the rear passenger windows, have to tuck them in every day.

In summary I'm very disappointed, and missing the Challenger I traded in to get the 2019 RAM. The Challenger had zero issues in the four years I owned it. This RAM is clearly not ready for showtime yet. Just a lemon waiting to happen. I don't know how all the YouTube reviews can give 100% glowing reviews on the new RAM and there is not one that noticed any of these problems.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Problems I’ve encountered with my new 2019 Ram Laramie after only one week. I’m returning mine since I don’t want to be a beta tester for FCA and play their service appointment games. Not waiting for clunking and brake squeal issues to follow next. Mine was built on 6/18.

- active noice cancellation is making my ears pop and I constantly feel dizzy inside the cabin. Have to drive with window down or it becomes unbearable.

- passenger side extremely noisy when driving on freeway over 70mph, sounds like the AC is on. You cannot notice it unless you reach 70-75 mph, with windows up. My Challenger never had this issue (and it had no noise control...)

- worst AC of any vehicle I ever owned. 25% more airflow really FCA? It barely works.

- entire passenger side of dash is creaking and misaligned, top glovebox light stays on even when it is shut (it’s also put on crooked...)

- front, side and rear parking sensors randomly going off in city traffic make for a jarring unsettling driving experience.

- gauge cluster cannot remember theme or configuration settings when car is turned off.

- creaking sounds under the passenger seat on slow wide turns.

- gobs of weatherstripping or rubber are falling out of the rear passenger windows, have to tuck them in.

Very disappointed, and missing the Challenger I traded in to get the 2019 RAM. The Challenger had zero issues in the four years I owned it. This RAM is clearly not ready for showtime yet.
Very sorry to hear this, @WickedMachine. I've noticed a number of minor defects with my new truck (thanks to the mindshare on this forum!), but nothing that appears to be a "deal-breaker" or can't be fixed. But it's an entirely different issue when you don't feel comfortable driving it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow....don't get on the forum for a few weeks like I used to and @Kramersp is still going at it...but he took delivery now. Not sure why you'd still buy a RAM after the weeks/months spent complaining about the RAM issues!

My 2019 has been flawless. 6,000 flawless miles. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7l EcoBoost only had issues with the door latches that Ford could never resolve. 58,000 miles with 17.8mpg. My 2019 RAM isn't getting that, but I knew that going in.

I'm not a fanboy of any brand - have had Rams/F150s in the past. Have had family work for Chrysler Corp and also a Ford dealer in the family for many years. Owned a few GMs too. Really stinks to hear a lot of you guys having issues...but the Limited trucks roll off the same assembly line as the base model trucks, same with the F150s. They aren't going to be the same as a MB or BMW....regardless of the price tag.

Glad I got out of my F150 after they are recalling every single 2015+ made, again....first for the door latches and now for the seat belt pretensioners that will light your truck up...and turn it into a puddle of aluminum. A handful of guys on the F150 forum have first hand experience with this. NHTSA shows one complaint that a deer ran into the side of an F150, causing the pretensioner to go off, resulting in truck burning down...

img_4273_4921a390bf7c288f7ce730a7d4e267e0ce87baf7.jpg

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow....don't get on the forum for a few weeks like I used to and @Kramersp is still going at it...but he took delivery now. Not sure why you'd still buy a RAM after the weeks/months spent complaining about the RAM issues!

My 2019 has been flawless. 6,000 flawless miles. My 2016 F150 with the 2.7l EcoBoost only had issues with the door latches that Ford could never resolve. 58,000 miles with 17.8mpg. My 2019 RAM isn't getting that, but I knew that going in.

I'm not a fanboy of any brand - have had Rams/F150s in the past. Have had family work for Chrysler Corp and also a Ford dealer in the family for many years. Owned a few GMs too. Really stinks to hear a lot of you guys having issues...but the Limited trucks roll off the same assembly line as the base model trucks, same with the F150s. They aren't going to be the same as a MB or BMW....regardless of the price tag.

Glad I got out of my F150 after they are recalling every single 2015+ made, again....first for the door latches and now for the seat belt pretensioners that will light your truck up...and turn it into a puddle of aluminum. A handful of guys on the F150 forum have first hand experience with this. NHTSA shows one complaint that a deer ran into the side of an F150, causing the pretensioner to go off, resulting in truck burning down...

Now that is a picture!

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm not a FCA loyalist, I switched from Toyota products to Chrysler after I started working for them. I'm on my 2nd Charger, daughter has a Journey, her bf has a 17 1500, we got the Rebel and the '17 2500 Cummins was a complete utter poop box.

So 1 problem child out of 6 and my neighbor has a 19 Ram and Journey also no probs.

Other than the run of the mill recalls which get taken care of with a oil change I've got no complaints.

I seriously feel horrible for the folks out there with problems galore, I'm going out on a limb here but I dont think FCA planned to sell a problematic vehicle. Now.......on the other foot, I normally steer clear of a new designed vehicle especially the year it gets released. Usually in 12 months they figure out the bugs. Me, I couldn't wait, the 5th gear gave out on the 68RFE and that truck HAD to go.

I dunno if I'm fortunate or lucky by grabbing the Rebel over the Longhorn and I hope this reply isn't like Haley's comet cometh but the wifey is at 1800 miles with no problems.

Time will tell and if you dont call corporate and log complaints, they will never have a realization how prevalent the issues that are out there.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Reading this and it makes me wonder what exactly you people think your buying , it sure is no Bugatti veyron ...I understand the 60 to 70k price tag should come with quality components and perfection straight from the plant line... these issues you all are having are cosmetic and at the very least very simple problems that will be fixed thru a dealer tsb . Quick to bash this truck over a fkd up defrost or mixmatched trim ...I have a 19 limited with it's own issues but I'm not gonna tell some one not to buy it cause the ac is not that great. I can tell all of you that think these issues are deal breakers are hard to please ... I fix hail damage on vehicles (18 yr tech and) and can tell you ALL now that the quality on a 100k Benz down to a 20k Prius is just as ****ty
I kind of agree. Although it's logical to assume that paying allot for a vehicle correlates to better quality, I don't think it's realistic. At the end of the day this comes down to sloppy performance on the production line by workers who probably make minimum wage. It's just unintentional human error - they don't care whether you spent 70k or 10k, they are trying their best to put together our trucks.

Jimmyk

Reaction score
I actually hope public opinion of this truck continues to drop. I've been waiting for a good deal and if I can snag one for 50% off MSRP soon I'll take the plunge into FCA hell with it lol.

I already own a 2015 Chrysler 200 C so I'm no stranger to the local FCA dealership. If it wasn't for the warranty I would have already paid over half of the car's worth in repair bills. :cautious:
Damn wish I would have waited for the clearance sale.....

Kramersp

Reaction score
Ok, well once again someone basically said "since my truck is flawless and yours has issues......shut up and color." I'm gonna set something straight. I like my truck. Looks awesome, ride is second to none, exterior lighting is awesome, the HK system (playing from my phone) is just outstanding, the seat comfort is a A+ to me and the engine is smooth. Doesn't change the FACT that my ram box fitment issues are not even close to being resolved, drivers side camera although replaced with a new one, still flickers, the chrome trim around the windows isn't even close to being lined up ( I looked at 4 other brands in a parking lot with chrome trim around the windows, all lined up including a JGC) as well as all the other sloppy exterior and interior flaws that have been reported. In a week I'm going to tow my boat a total of around 4k miles. I'll know then if I regret my purchase. At this time other than the issues listed and some odd hard downshifts when stopping, I like the truck and don't regret buying it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, well once again someone basically said "since my truck is flawless and yours has issues......shut up and color." I'm gonna set something straight. I like my truck. Looks awesome, ride is second to none, exterior lighting is awesome, the HK system (playing from my phone) is just outstanding, the seat comfort is a A+ to me and the engine is smooth. Doesn't change the FACT that my ram box fitment issues are not even close to being resolved, drivers side camera although replaced with a new one, still flickers, the chrome trim around the windows isn't even close to being lined up ( I looked at 4 other brands in a parking lot with chrome trim around the windows, all lined up including a JGC) as well as all the other sloppy exterior and interior flaws that have been reported. In a week I'm going to tow my boat a total of around 4k miles. I'll know then if I regret my purchase. At this time other than the issues listed and some odd hard downshifts when stopping, I like the truck and don't regret buying it.

I guess I don't understand the constant complaining/bashing of the Ram while yours was on order and then your surprised it has issues? I was one of the first to doubt my A/C but then turns out its ok. My passenger side door lock still sounds different than the others when it power unlocks - but I've learned to deal with it. Your 2013 F150 compared to the newer generation is almost an apples to orange comparison. The 2011-2014s don't have the issues the newer trucks do.

Personally I opted against the rambox....something told me they'd have issues and if you look back at your posts on this forum over the past few months...you've said time and time again these trucks have issues.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Wishful thinking that my later build wouldn't have the issues. I will say, my AC works well. Been in the high 90's around here and it's been keeping up fine. I'm just shocked that QA/QC let's so many OBVIOUS defects through the line is really the issue. I get unknowingly part defects coming from suppliers. I get that. But lots of the issues I read about are sloppy ones that shouldn't get through the line.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wishful thinking that my later build wouldn't have the issues. I will say, my AC works well. Been in the high 90's around here and it's been keeping up fine. I'm just shocked that QA/QC let's so many OBVIOUS defects through the line is really the issue. I get unknowingly part defects coming from suppliers. I get that. But lots of the issues I read about are sloppy ones that shouldn't get through the line.

I agree. Seems they just want to get trucks out the doors. It'll be curious to see how GMs roll out fairs.

RT70808

Reaction score

I’m impressed by how the paint is holding up under the intense heat.

jamesfg

Reaction score
For those out there with probs, I feel your pain, I've been there with the 2500. 68k sticker and it seemed as soon as that calendar hit month 12, the problems came and often. It's frustrating hitting your bill pay for $668 and your truck is sitting in the dealerships service bay.

Me, I love my truck. I'm willing to ride out the storm if anything hits the fan but God forbid it does, I'm gonna be calling corporate like a Nigerian scammer.

jamesfg

Reaction score
One final thought. If your having unresolved issues, look into your state's laws about trying to lemon law the truck. I started going down that path bit I had too many different things that would fail.

Twoamen

Reaction score
On a trip to New Hampshire, my left (driver side) defrost doesn't clear the same spot as above picture shows. Ran thermostat up and down trying to change temp to see if it wold clear. Nothing made a difference. 18th appointment for a list of items needed fixed or updated.

jamesfg

Reaction score
On a trip to New Hampshire, my left (driver side) defrost doesn't clear the same spot as above picture shows. Ran thermostat up and down trying to change temp to see if it wold clear. Nothing made a difference. 18th appointment for a list of items needed fixed or updated.

What's the lemon law for your state?

Reaction score
Not minimizing anyones problems but coming from the "best" Gm makes (GMC Denali) and dealing with problem after problem for over a year, I could not be more pleased with my 2019 Limited. Head and shoulders above the 2017 Denali I had. Ultimately sued GM, ran up $2,500 in legal bills going through GM's "expedited" settled process (which is slang for slow walking you), I had enough and got out. So, I know it is horrible when you have a problem and I feel for all who do. But my point is, all manufacturers have problems and it stinks when you get on the short end of the stick. I have a late August build and I wonder if Ram has caught some of these issues as the production has moved forward?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not minimizing anyones problems but coming from the "best" Gm makes (GMC Denali) and dealing with problem after problem for over a year, I could not be more pleased with my 2019 Limited. Head and shoulders above the 2017 Denali I had. Ultimately sued GM, ran up $2,500 in legal bills going through GM's "expedited" settled process (which is slang for slow walking you), I had enough and got out. So, I know it is horrible when you have a problem and I feel for all who do. But my point is, all manufacturers have problems and it stinks when you get on the short end of the stick. I have a late August build and I wonder if Ram has caught some of these issues as the production has moved forward?

Good way of looking at it and really is exactly my point. Posting about issues is one thing and yes there does seem to be a bit of a trend with some trucks, (I'd still like to find out of it's a certain build date range), but to basically say the issues affect all trucks (they don't) or say other manufacturers don't have problems (they do) or just to ignore the problems they do/have had to push your own agenda is a little ridiculous.

For everyone that is having problems, I hope that the solution comes out soon, remember we monitor TSBs and update in the TSB section when new ones come out. Brake squealing issue has been fixed with new pads, or another member fixed it just by bedding the brakes which I've been saying to do since the beginning. I'm sure there will be TSBs out for the clunk, whatever they figure out with the AC, etc and we will have them up as soon as they're available.

Users who are viewing this thread